exercises that work out pecs only

MegaKushMegaKush Regular
edited September 2010 in Life
So i do push ups and hit the weight machines, but the only muscles that dont seem to be getting a workout are my pecs. With pushups it seems to work out my shoulders and upper back more, and with the weight machines my forearms triceps and biceps get a workout along with shoulders and back.

What is an exercise that works out the pecs only with minimal workouts to other muscles? bench press is good but i don't have access to one

Comments

• edited August 2010
    push-up=upside-down bench press.

1) push-ups work the pecs, if yours aren't getting worked, you're not doing them right.
    2) if you "have access" to push-ups, you have access to bench presses.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited August 2010
    you could try flat-bench dumbbell presses, just substitute the bench for your bedroom floor//dumbbells, well, either buy a set because they are essential or use your imagination.. :confused:
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
    Spread your arms further apart when doing pressups/bench press. That works out your chest more. The closer your arms are together, the more they work out your arms. I think so, anyway.
  • edited August 2010
    Daily wrote: »
    Spread your arms further apart when doing pressups/bench press. That works out your chest more. The closer your arms are together, the more they work out your arms. I think so, anyway.

Arm position in push-ups is the determinant of what chest muscles you will be working. I do 5 "kinds" of push-ups:

1) Standard, comfortable position. Arms are shoulder width apart. (Standard)
    2) Arms are closer together, centered towards chest. (Little)
    3) Arms are farther apart than shoulder position. (Wide)
    4) Arms are in front of my head (Low)
    5) Arms are below Standard position in relation to my body (I know that doesn't sound right--basically start in Standard position and then scooch your arms down towards your legs and abdomen)

Those should work all areas of your chest.:thumbsup:
  • minor69nerminor69ner Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    Bench Press
    Decline Bench Press
    Decline Fly
    Fly Pullover
    Twisting
    Decline Chest Press
    Twisting Standing Chest Press
    Chest Dip
    Flies
    Decline Fly
    Lying Fly
    Pec Deck Fly
    Decline Seated Fly
  • Mr.HappyMr.Happy Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    I use dumbbell flies for my pecs (incline, flat and decline). You feel them in your wrists and forearms a bit too, but they're the best thing I've found for isolating pecs.

Pre-exhaust your pecs using the flies, then hit them with a compound exercise like pushups, bench or dips.