So I 'stole' a 2 billion year old rock...

edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
From a museum exibit. There were ones that were 3 billion plus, but they were too big to fit in my clothes. I didn't pay much attention to what it's called or where it's from, because I was like 'holy shit; this rock is OVER 9000 years old'.

This rock was around long before there was life itself (well at least anything more than sigle-celled organisms), and will probably be around long after all life has died out. It was around long before the continents split up. It's been around for a while, and seen a lot.

Whenever I feel bogged down by the petty shit in life, I'll touch this rock and remind myself how insignificant we all are in the grand scheme of the universe, and say FUCK YOU to the world. :thumbsup:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3357/dsc00540u.jpg

Comments

• PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    That doesn't look billions of years old.
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited August 2010
    Pig wrote: »
    That doesn't look billions of years old.

Maybe the museum is just bullshiting people. Still, stealing from museums is a pretty lousy thing to do...
  • ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited August 2010
    Aren't all rocks billions of years old? Shit, aren't we billions of years old?
  • edited August 2010
    Most of the ones on display had been cut so you could see the cross-sections of the formations inside. And no. The pebbles you pick up in the outdoors aren't nearly that old; having been formed and pushed up much later.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/emergingtech/a-2-billion-year-window-into-the-earth/892
  • edited August 2010
    looks like a normal rock to me, but if I were you I'd probably do the same

think you can sell it for anything?
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    think you can sell it for anything?

Selling a rock here! Get your 2 billion year old rock! *crickets chirp*
  • edited August 2010
    It kinda looks like something you'd find in the yard... Any history behind this thing?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Looks like hash to me, brah ;)
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010

I imagine most people here aren't even 30 years old. Not all rocks are that old. Some were formed later.

Stealing from a museum is a shit thing to do. Wtf are you going to do with a rock? That's a dumb thing to steal.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Stealing from a museum is a shit thing to do. Wtf are you going to do with a rock? That's a dumb thing to steal.

This. I once went to a rock/mining museum and they gave me a rock for free.
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited August 2010
    u should tern it in2 the museim and b like "ok so anyways i found this i did a sience thing on it and discovered its 2 bilion years old" and then u will get a award :o:o:o:o:o:o:o
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited August 2010

u r a dum @$$ if u think ur a billion year old :o:o:o:o:o
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    Even if it is really that old... just looks like a rock. for all we know, you picked up up out of your backyard, and made up this story to look all badass or whatever. =/ But it's really lame all around either way, whether it's true or not. I mean, it just looks like a rock. So it's not like anyone will be all amazed when you show them... they've seen rocks before.
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited August 2010
    Namaste wrote: »
    Even if it is really that old... just looks like a rock. for all we know, you picked up up out of your backyard, and made up this story to look all badass or whatever. =/ But it's really lame all around either way, whether it's true or not. I mean, it just looks like a rock. So it's not like anyone will be all amazed when you show them... they've seen rocks before.

so 2 enjoy somthing it has 2 look realy cool 2 show off???? idiot. :o:o:o:o anways there was prolly a article or somthing rittin on it explaning were it came from but i woodnt expect a idiot like u 2 understand that :o:o:o
    edited August 2010
    brandon wrote: »
    so 2 enjoy somthing it has 2 look realy cool 2 show off???? idiot. :o:o:o:o anways there was prolly a article or somthing rittin on it explaning were it came from but i woodnt expect a idiot like u 2 understand that :o:o:o

I hate to say it, but I gotta agree with brandon this once :o:o:o
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    brandon wrote: »

Well, if he actually enjoys the rock, sure, cool beans, but this thread sort of gives the idea that he stole it to seem super cool... and it's not that cool an item, or that cool a thing to do anyway. So kind of failed there.
  • edited August 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    This. I once went to a rock/mining museum and they gave me a rock for free.

But I bet it wasn't a 2 BILLION year old rock now was it?

PEOPLE! I'm not making it up. Why would I lie about such an arbitrary thing?
    edited August 2010
    But I bet it wasn't a 2 BILLION year old rock now was it?

PEOPLE! I'm not making it up. Why would I lie about such an arbitrary thing?

I believe you. I'm also going to go into my backyard and sift through all the 2 billion year old rocks I have lying around.
  • edited August 2010
    Well, if he actually enjoys the rock, sure, cool beans, but this thread sort of gives the idea that he stole it to seem super cool... and it's not that cool an item, or that cool a thing to do anyway. So kind of failed there.

If you read properly, you'll see I gave my reason in the OP.
    Whenever I feel bogged down by the petty shit in life, I'll touch this rock and remind myself how insignificant we all are in the grand scheme of the universe, and say FUCK YOU to the world.
  • edited August 2010
    you should use it for something really dumb. like cracking open walnuts or putting it under a short chair leg to even it out.
  • edited August 2010
    I believe you. I'm also going to go into my backyard and sift through all the 2 billion year old rocks I have lying around.

If you found a rock that old, naturally, in your back yard, you could be pretty sure there'd be a sudden serious geological interest in your property.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited August 2010
    I guess this makes you a badass.

Nothing says 'thug' like having a 2 billion year old rock. :rolleyes:
  • edited August 2010
    you should use it for something really dumb. like cracking open walnuts or putting it under a short chair leg to even it out.

I actually lolled :D
  • edited August 2010
    Whenever I feel bogged down by the petty shit in life, I'll touch this rock and remind myself how insignificant we all are in the grand scheme of the universe, and say FUCK YOU to the world. :thumbsup:

also, I think having a 2 billion year old rock would have the complete opposite effect on me. Whenever I'm feeling down I would touch it and remind myself how insignificant I am and then an hero immediately.
    edited August 2010
    If you found a rock that old, naturally, in your back yard, you could be pretty sure there'd be a sudden serious geological interest in your property.

Point is, if the rock is actually rare and valuable, you'd think they'd keep it locked behind a cage or something so people can't steal it.

Also, the Earth's crust is estimated around 2 billion years old. It's quite likely I'll find a rock that is that old.
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited August 2010

its not cool 2 steel from a museum but no were did he say he wanted 2 show it off all he did was tock about how cool he thinks it is cus its so old. he also said in case u cant reed cus ur dum that he holds it 2 rimimber how insignifigent he c-s so he can tell the world 2 f#$% off :o:o:o:o:o
    edited August 2010

Unless you're a geologist how would you know if you found a 2 billion old rock in your backyard? Since you wouldn't know how would anyone else know to show interest?
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited August 2010
    I bet it wasent a two billion year old rock to start with.
  • edited August 2010
    Point is, if the rock is actually rare and valuable, you'd think they'd keep it locked behind a cage or something so people can't steal it.

Also, the Earth's crust is estimated around 2 billion years old. It's quite likely I'll find a rock that is that old.

The lower levels of the crust are way, way down. HIGHLY unlikely. Nowhere did I say it was valuable, or that I wanted it to 'show off'. The exibit had some pretty massive ones, and a couple smaller ones. The 3 billion year old ones were all solid and I couldn't (easily) break a bit off.

How old are you? How many things in your house are 2 billion years old? Exactly.
    edited August 2010
    The lower levels of the crust are way, way down. HIGHLY unlikely. Nowhere did I say it was valuable, or that I wanted it to 'show off'. The exibit had some pretty massive ones, and a couple smaller ones. The 3 billion year old ones were all solid and I couldn't (easily) break a bit off.

How old are you? How many things in your house are 2 billion years old? Exactly.

Ok, I got a bit excited with the rocks in my backyard. I'm just thinking that if the museum leaves rocks lying around for people to snatch up, it either doesn't mean anything to them, or they're not actually that old. Most people who visit museums won't be able to tell the difference. But hey, belief is all that matters.
  • edited August 2010
    Ok, I got a bit excited with the rocks in my backyard. I'm just thinking that if the museum leaves rocks lying around for people to snatch up, it either doesn't mean anything to them, or they're not actually that old. Most people who visit museums won't be able to tell the difference. But hey, belief is all that matters.

Well since they aren't valuable as such, they know most (sane) people aren't going to bother taking them.

In the popular, significant cave systems in the world >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cango_Caves<&lt; for example, tourists are constantly trying to break the stalagtites off as souveniers. Why these then? Because they look cool. Simple as.
  • edited August 2010
  • Fetus-SmasherFetus-Smasher Regular
    edited August 2010
    Dude..you stole a rock.

I can't even think of anything more lame to mock you, what's worse? Steal a... I'm stuck, anything else has some kind of value, human hair, sand, paper clip, but a fucking rock?
  • CloudcatCloudcat Regular
    edited August 2010
    This rock was around long before there was life itself (well at least anything more than sigle-celled organisms), and will probably be around long after all life has died out. It was around long before the continents split up. It's been around for a while, and seen a lot.

Oh yeah, well the atoms in your body have been around since the formation of the universe.
  • edited August 2010
    but a fucking rock?

*2 BILLION year old rock

Correction.
    edited August 2010
    Cloudcat wrote: »
    Oh yeah, well the atoms in your body have been around since the formation of the universe.

Uh huh, and I have unicorns in my cock.
  • CloudcatCloudcat Regular
    edited August 2010
    Uh huh, and I have unicorns in my cock.

That must be very uncomfortable :eek:
  • Agent 008Agent 008 Regular
    edited August 2010
    Sell it on E-bay.

If you can sell it for any amount of money, you may be on to something here.
    edited August 2010
    Or sell some random rock and claim it's old as shit.
  • FingerBlasterFingerBlaster Regular
    edited August 2010
    Everything in the universe is over a dozen billion years old you fucking cocksucker :angry:
  • Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited August 2010
    First of all... anyone reminded of Arthur?

Second of all... Hahhaha I can just imagine like, you and your friends planning this rock heist out, ocean's 11 style.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited August 2010
    This thread is full of fail, stupidity, troll(s) {brandon and probably the op}, and fail (mentioned twice because it has so much fail).
    edited August 2010
    Cloudcat wrote: »
    That must be very uncomfortable :eek:

It is. The doctor said it's "bonerhalatosis" or I basically stick my dick into all sorts of random shit. I got a rx but fuck doctors, my dick has unicorns. Period.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited August 2010
    no one mentioned that OP uses a mac?

anyway, one of my professors stole a clay fragment from the Pompeii ruins
    edited August 2010
    It is. The doctor said it's "bonerhalatosis" or I basically stick my dick into all sorts of random shit. I got a rx but fuck doctors, my dick has unicorns. Period.

Halitosis is bad breath. Your dick has bad breath.
  • Name's TakenName's Taken Acolyte
    edited August 2010

The vast majority of atoms :mad:

Everybody knows the Hadean eon is where it's at. :o:o:o
  • edited August 2010
    That's like me claiming I'm 14 billion years old, since the energy/matter that makes up my body was obviously around in some form since the start of the universe. Obviously that's correct, but ... yeah.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited August 2010
    ^man that is true shit way to like accidentally stumble on something like that.

You wanna hear something really out there? I am that rock.
    edited August 2010
    No way, fool.
    edited August 2010
    You wanna hear something really out there? I am that rock.

I believe this to be QFT!