Brotheeeeeeeeer!
  • Malcolm XMalcolm X Regular
    edited August 2010
    the fuck?
  • edited August 2010
    knot rox! they aer not lickwid! LOL! :o:o:o:o
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, if all particles are moving at all times, even solids are liquid. Your computer is liquid.
  • Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited August 2010
    what about liquid
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    Liquid, is liquid.
  • Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited August 2010
    Shouldnt liquid be super liquid.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    Pig wrote: »
    Well, if all particles are moving at all times, even solids are liquid. Your computer is liquid.

But solid, liquids, and gases are different states of matter describing the space between particles and how they move... I'm no scientist, but I don't think the fact all particles are always moving makes them a liquid. At least that makes no sense from what I've learned thus far in life, which I can't say is a great deal... so... yeah...
  • CloudcatCloudcat Regular
    edited August 2010

The "states of matter" are not necessarily categorized based entirely on particle movement. They are categorized based on properties unique to the state in question and not consistent with any other.

For example, "plasma" is basically just superheated gas, but it has properties of it's own that are not found in regular gaseous matter. So to say that all matter is liquid would be incorrect.

Then again, a state of matter is simply our categorization based on our own perception in order to define our existence and the world around us. Without a human to observe the differences in matter, matter would simply be an assembly of vibrating particles and nothing more. There would be no such thing as "liquid" or "solid".
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited August 2010
    STOPIT! UR BLOWIN MA MIND MANZZ! :mad:
  • edited August 2010
    My shit is liquid after a long night of drinking.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    All the properties of various states of matter are simply variations of the liquid state. They are subcategories in the field of liquid.
    edited August 2010
    STOPIT! UR BLOWIN MA MIND MANZZ! :mad:

And then again, our categorization and definition of the human existence is nothing more than a collection of hormones and enzymes reacting in response to electrical signals from our brain in accordance with external stimuli.

In other words, the human condition is little more than a chemical reaction - a simple transfer of energy.

So if consciousness is contingent upon the transference of energy, then we may be no more "alive" than a fire, for example.

Then, could the universe itself be conscious? If matter is the conduit, and energy is analogous to the flow of information, or "thought", then it makes sense that the universe may have a mind of it's own, or, indeed, the universe is nothing but a flow of information.

Hmmmm.......
  • edited August 2010
    are thoughts and emotions liquid?
    edited August 2010
    All the properties of various states of matter are simply variations of the liquid state. They are subcategories in the field of liquid.

How do you know that they are not subcategories in the field of plasmas? Or Solids? The point is that "liquid", "solid", and "gas" are just words meant to give meaning to ideas. Saying they are all one and the same is pointless, circular logic. The reason why they are categorized into different terms at all is because they must be perceived as different from one another if we are to build knowledge.
    edited August 2010
    Cloudcat wrote: »
    And then again, our categorization and definition of the human existence is nothing more than a collection of hormones and enzymes reacting in response to electrical signals from our brain in accordance with external stimuli.

In other words, the human condition is little more than a chemical reaction - a simple transfer of energy.

So if consciousness is contingent upon the transference of energy, then we may be no more "alive" than a fire, for example.

Then, could the universe itself be conscious? If matter is the conduit, and energy is analogous to the flow of information, or "thought", then it makes sense that the universe may have a mind of it's own, or, indeed, the universe is nothing but a flow of information.

Hmmmm.......

I find this post very interesting.
    edited August 2010
    I find this post very interesting.

neuron-galaxy.jpg

:eek:
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited August 2010

Gas particles move
    edited August 2010
    neuron-galaxy.jpg

:eek:

So my thoughts are the thoughts of a larger being?
    edited August 2010
    So my thoughts are the thoughts of a larger being?

Not necessarily.

Although your thoughts might be a small part of some automated subprocess, such as the medula oblongata in our own brains which regulates our heart rate, body temperature, and breathing without any conscious effort.
    edited August 2010
    Not necessarily.

Although your thoughts might be a small part of some automated subprocess, such as the medula oblongata in our own brains which regulates our heart rate, body temperature, and breathing without any conscious effort.

So my life might be predetermined?
    edited August 2010
    So my life might be predetermined?

According to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, there is no such thing as "predetermined".

And maybe that's the point?

If the universe is a living being, maybe it has it's own evolutionary path? Perhaps life is just a natural adaptation to an external stimuli?

You see, the universe will effectively "die" when it reaches a state of maximum entropy and there is no longer any dynamic free energy to sustain motion. The stars will die out, and every particle in existence will radiate away.

But life stirs things up. With sentient thought, we have the ability to actuate and manipulate the world around us. We can deliberately stimulate our own chemical reactions, generate our own energy. We can create chaos, which in this case, is a good thing.

And I predict that if humanity survives long enough to approach the end of the universe, we will anticipate it, and do everything in our power to prevent it. If we can control and regulate the flow of energy in a way that will prolong the universe's existence, then the universe will survive for longer. Which means that "life" is just an automated defense mechanism, similar to the white cells in our bodies.

Or maybe life is the universe's form of reproduction? There's a hypothesis that the universe began as a "bubble" smaller than an atom, about the size of Planck Distance. We can't see them, but we theorize that these "bubble universes" may be all around us. And if we can focus enough energy into one of these "bubbles", we can create our own Big Bang, in theory. So if, at the end of the universe, our only way to survive will be to create a universe of our own, we may just do that (provided it is even possible, and provided that we are technologically advanced enough to even do it). Thus continuing the existence of the universe.

Maybe? I dunno...
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited August 2010
    whether something is a solid or a liquid can at times be difficult to tell.

silica glass - the stuff your windows are made of, is a liquid.

when you melt a substance, it turns into a liquid, however, upon cooling back down to the "freezing temperature" the atoms want to form little crystals, since that is the arrangement with the lowest energy.

however, as you cool down a substance, the atoms move slower and slower.

if you were to get a liquid, and cool it so fast that the atoms get to a point where they move really really slowly, but not have the time to form crystals, this is when the liquid becomes so viscous that is just acts like a solid. and that is what we call glass

silica and glass are two different things. silica can be crystalline (in the form of quartz) and glasses can be of any material that is cooled fast enough (the metal rim on iphones are made of metallic glass)

of course, liquids are unstable, and will, usually over the course of thousands or millions of years, slowly crystallize
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    Thinks hard, so it means my farts are actually in liquid form. No wonder they stink.
    edited August 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Thinks hard, so it means my farts are actually in liquid form. No wonder they stink.

Yo Dfg I heard you drowned.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    Yo Dfg I heard you drowned.

Drowing in your own farts lol.
    edited August 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Drowing in your own farts lol.

Someone said Central Pakistan is flooding atm.
  • edited August 2010
    Now I remember why the Temple is fucking epic.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    All these arguments and dissertations in this thread? Liquid.