Call of Duty: Black Ops

PigPig Regular
edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities

As much as I hate Treyarch for that abomination called World at War, I'm actually pretty stoked for this game. They're doing everything right that MW2 messed up or left out, like dedicated servers and character customization (finally). It's hard to fathom that they're finally latching onto a concept that Rainbow Six Vegas 2 perfected several years ago.

So, COD followers, is this going to be another fuck-up?

Comments

• FingerBlasterFingerBlaster Regular
    edited August 2010
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    Eh, maybe it will. Regardless, billions will buy it.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    I might get it because it does look badass but It seems like there just gonna milk Call of Duty for all its worth I just dont want another Halo ODST shit sucked man.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm pumped. The trailers look pretty good.. Regardless of it sucking or not I will probably still buy it because it's something fresh and new and I'm tired of playing MW and MW2.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited August 2010
    Thou hates Treyarch for a reasonably decent game, but dislike IW not one bit for that abomination known as Modern Warfare 2? Oh, the irony.

Rolf will be downloading Black Ops, because, quite frankly, Rolf has considered none of the Call of Duty games (apart from Modern Warfare #1) to be worth the money of Rolf. Rolf hopes it will be good.
  • Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll probably get it. It looks pretty sweet. Plus the endings to all of them were pretty epic.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited August 2010
    It's all about Infinity Ward. World at War is pretty lame. Oh man they came up with a zombie minigame? One that's basically exactly like Left For Dead? Give em more rights to make these fuckers!
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    Rolf wrote: »
    Thou hates Treyarch for a reasonably decent game, but dislike IW not one bit for that abomination known as Modern Warfare 2? Oh, the irony.

Hey, I never said MW2 was good. It was just more playable than WAW, especially with the Barebones servers.
  • Panic!Panic! Regular
    edited August 2010
    Personally, I won't buy it until other people do and tell me how it is. I got 10th prestige on mw2 then went straight back to COD4 because the maps are just so much better. They made the maps wayyyyyyyy too huge on mw2. It just encourages marathon+lightweight+UMP silenced
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    Well the MW2 maps are larger because of the faggot killstreaks that dominate over the whole map. Think about how bad Vacant would be in MW2 with an AC130 up. But I still agree with you, maps like Wasteland are uncomfortably large. It doesn't help that LMGs are practically useless, since you're walking extra slow and you're going to get dominated by some UMPfag if you sprint.
  • Panic!Panic! Regular
    edited August 2010
    Pig wrote: »
    Well the MW2 maps are larger because of the faggot killstreaks that dominate over the whole map. Think about how bad Vacant would be in MW2 with an AC130 up. But I still agree with you, maps like Wasteland are uncomfortably large. It doesn't help that LMGs are practically useless, since you're walking extra slow and you're going to get dominated by some UMPfag if you sprint.

They shouldn't have made stupid killstreaks that dominate the maps as well
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    The multiplayer teaser is ridiculous. Treyarch isn't even bothering to care about realism anymore.

Slow-mo of the teaser:

Skip to the last minute and a half if you want to see it at normal speed.

Ballistic knives look fucking sick, but the RC car seems a bit broken.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    Well I am going to buy it because it looks like it may be ok. But they always have a pretty good story and I am curious to what it will be. But imo it actually looks like it may be pretty beast mode.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited August 2010
    yes. will buy
  • edited August 2010
    Will probably buy this too, it looks... different, and interesting.
  • abusernameabusername Regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow, I am extremely surprised by those videos, Pig. Looks like Treyarch might actually be taking the series in a new, exciting direction!

Looks like this one will have way more strategy involved than the previous installments.. Just the things you can do with the camera alone.. awesome.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    Just waiting to see the character customization. Knowing Treyarch, there's probably going to be some wicked outfits that make R6V2's camos look normal. Pink ghillie suits? Yes.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    There is a lot of things that are looking pretty epic.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited August 2010
    Pig wrote: »
    The multiplayer teaser is ridiculous. Treyarch isn't even bothering to care about realism anymore.

"Realism" and Call of Duty do not compute, Captain Rolf suggests thee try ArmA II or World War II Online or Operation Flashpoint (Blargh).
  • edited August 2010
    I really like weapon customization. That was my one major problem with BFBC2.

Also, the multiplayer in this game looks really good. Want.

EDIT: Actually I might want MOH instead.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    Rolf wrote: »
    "Realism" and Call of Duty do not compute, Captain Rolf suggests thee try ArmA II or World War II Online or Operation Flashpoint (Blargh).

I don't mind realism or the lack thereof. I'm just saying that games like Call of Duty put so much emphasis on realism that they're practically mo-capping the C130s. They'll capture the actual sounds of every weapon and person and tree in the game, but the RC car just seems like someone at Treyarch lost a bet.
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited September 2010
    You are right, Modern Warfare 2 fell short of the expectations. It brought with it many annoying new features, danger close and quickscoping to name a few. There were quickscopers in COD4 and WAW but Modern Warfare 2 has a perk that almost promotes it.

Black Ops features and the effects:

- The dive feature removes the majority of drop-shots because while sprinting the prone button makes you dive and you cannot shoot whilst diving.
    - More interactable Killstreaks make it so that campers do not have control of their character when using them (RC car, chopper, Valkyrie rockets, mortar team etc)
    - Combat Training is the new way to perfect and learn new tactics and allows new players to acquanit themselves with the game before going online which means a higher standard of skill level and the removal of death streaks.
    - Marathon and Lightweight are in different perk tiers and Marathon is no longer infinite sprint, its COD4's Extreme Conditioning.
    - Stopping power has been removed which allows for slight more diversity for players as they get to play around with other perks instead of the obvious 'I'l go for weapon damage lolool.'

Treyarch also have software implemented to track boosters and penalise them. There has also been talk of a hacker-proof system but who knows these days.

Please throw in a 3v3 A-N-D 4v4 Team Tactical Treyarch, whos with me on this?

tl;dr: LESS FAGS.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited September 2010
    How spammable is the dive function? Like, if CoD turning into GunZ?

I don't want to see any K-style.
  • Viper2002Viper2002 Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    i love cod ive spent weeks literally on ever one, and i will play black ops in first player but im not going to switch online from cod mw2 to black ops as soon as i level to where i wanna be i have to start again, bit sick of it know, i think people who have ranked up on previous versions should be able to take some of the prestige with them.