The Terminator Series

PigPig Regular
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I'm watching Terminator: Salvation again, and I'd like to hear some thoughts on the series as a whole. I thought Terminator 2 was the best, if not one of the best movies ever made, and that the rest were just decent compared to it. Despite the fact that the entire franchise had plot holes from hell, Ahnuld is still one of the baddest motherfuckers around.

Thoughts: go!

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    Terminator 2 was definitely the best. Common knowledge :D The first one is also great, but not as great as the second one. The third one was meh, it didn't get me as pumped as the first two, but any movie with Arnie can't suck. It just can't. Not even Jingle All the Way, no matter what the critics say. I'm not going to comment on Salvation cause Arnie isn't in it.
  • kaloosakaloosa Regular
    edited August 2010
    T2 is one of my all time favorites. The first one was 3/4 as good, T3 was my least favorite of the franchise actually. Even though Arnie was in it, I just couldn't get into it that much. It just wasn't that good. What I liked about Salvation (yes, I actually liked it) was that it was an homage to the greatness in the first two. The only thing they kept from 3 was the character, Kate. Sure, the only Arnie in it was CG, but the T-800's presence from the first film was felt here. Yeah, the idiocy behind not just killing Reese when they had the chance and making Marcus "have a soul" or some shit like that kept this from being a great movie. But that's what we've come to learn and accept from the Terminator series: they make up stupid shit, but they still make it work and watchable.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited August 2010
    The fact that the whole terminator series is a paradox pisses me off. But otherwise i like it. Also T2 ftw.
  • kaloosakaloosa Regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm just waiting for a remake of the first one that ends up taking place in the present and somehow is canon with the rest of the series. Just watch, they'll end up trying to do that.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    The fact that the whole terminator series is a paradox pisses me off. But otherwise i like it. Also T2 ftw.

In the third movie, Arnie tells John Connor the date of his date, and how he's going to kill him (infiltrating the Resistance command). If John had the precognitive knowledge now, couldn't he avert his own death?
  • FONFON Regular
    edited August 2010
    Its like this...

T1: Ok, pretty shit
    T2: EPIC ARNIE IS A FUCKING ROBOT SENT BACK IN TIME PURE WIN
    T3: This is a joke right?
    T4: Better than 3, nowhere near as good as 2, passable
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    T1: Meh not something I would pick out to watch.
    T2: Great movie absolutely loved it.
    T3: It was alright but a lotta part like the ending I was just like what the fucking shit is this.
    T4: I really think that they could have done better. The acting line up was some pretty good choices but I really think there could have been a better direction taken. Oh and dont forget about the arnold, ahh what ever the fuck that was. It was a 5 minute part I dont know why they didnt get him in on it. He is playing a small role in Expendables so obviously he is not to busy.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited August 2010
    I cried at the end of T2. One of my favorite scenes of all time.

T2 is one of those rare gems of science fiction where almost everyone who watches it will enjoy it, even if you start of with some really negative attitudes towards the genre. Not even sci fi greats like Star Wars can do that
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    When they're rigging Cyberdyne to blow, and Arnie looks out over the police with the minigun...

*gasm*
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited August 2010
    Pig wrote: »
    In the third movie, Arnie tells John Connor the date of his date, and how he's going to kill him (infiltrating the Resistance command). If John had the precognitive knowledge now, couldn't he avert his own death?

Different paradox apparently, Im talking about John Connor Being born.
    In the future John sends Back Kyle Reese back in tim to be his father, But if he didnt have a father before then, then how was he alive to meet his father and send him back.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    Different paradox apparently, Im talking about John Connor Being born.
    In the future John sends Back Kyle Reese back in tim to be his father, But if he didnt have a father before then, then how was he alive to meet his father and send him back.

I can sort of understand your paradox as just being cyclical time.
  • kaloosakaloosa Regular
    edited August 2010
    Sorta sounds like the big quote of the series "No fate but what me make" is all bullshit then. Right? I mean, that's the only way that series of events could be put into play: if all of history was predetermined. My theory: Stallone shows up in T5 as God and says "Fuck you guys, this is my new flood. Only it took a tad longer than 40 days and 40 nights to really kick in." I'd walk outta the theater with a smile in that case. But the way the series is going, financially, it'll more likely be watching it as a SyFy original than in theaters. fml
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    The main problem with the series is that they never take a firm stance on the predetermination of history or not. They say that they can prevent Skynet from destroying the world, but Arnie clarifies that he kills John Connor. FUUUU