Lol totse.info is still up?

2»

Comments

• fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    HTS-Noob wrote: »
    >not shitty because they're mainstream
    >mainstream because they're shitty

That doesn't make much of a difference really. You're still implying a correlation between popularity and bad music. I bet you feel super cool knowing a million bands that nobody has heard of. :p

It's just a thought, but maybe... just maybe... they don't get radio play because they sound like shit? Before you spazz, it's just as valid a point as saying mainstream is garbage/garbage is mainstream.

This is kinda getting outta hand but the point I was really trying to make is: musical taste is subjective, and what you like doesn't make you and better/worse than someone else. Your taste isn't any better or worse either, because taste is fuckin' personal. It's like saying some people are idiots for preferring sprouts when they could be having cabbage instead.

Whether you listen to that stuff or fuckin' Rachmaninov for your kicks, your opinions on music and what makes it good are all equally fucking worthless and subjective. :)

This is already off topic, but I think you're still misunderstanding me or I'm not being very clear. I don't like bands only because they're obscure. Just because a band is obscure doesn't mean they're shit. I'm not talking about some random group on youtube with 15 views. I'm talking about bands that do not get radio airplay where I live, but are still good bands.

I like the music I like. Typically I do not like mainstream Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, 50 Cent, Eminem music. It's fine for listening in the car. It's not something I want to listen to at home. There's a huge difference between actively listening to music and passively hearing "Bad Romance" play on the radio while I'm driving to the grocery store. When I go to a club I want to hear Akon, Lil Jon and other popular music. I don't want to try to dance to post-rock music. I also don't want to sit around and analyze Selena Gomez's music. Like FON said it's like musical fast food. I like listening to it on short drives or at the club, but I won't listen to it at home.

My point is that for me there is a time and a place for different music. When I have a choice and I want to really listen I'll choose something other than top 40. I'll do a post in the music forum sometime soon. I need to keep applying for jobs this week.
  • HTS-NoobHTS-Noob Regular
    edited August 2010
    I dunno man, it's probably just me working out some of the leftover angsty teenage bitch inside me. Disregard it. I know what you mean man, I'm just used to like... youtube comments and shit. I don't know.

I have this image that people consider taste in music an accurate definition of your personality and intellect or some shit. Where only an idiot could enjoy listening to this band or that band. I guess with that precept in mind, I read things and immediately interpret them in that context if it's at all possible.

My bad, it's just that what I'm talking about is stupid. I've known a few folks who were otherwise pretty cool, but thought taste in music was a measure of your worth as a person. I don't know... you know the folks who would be like "lol lady gaga? i bet u only listen to top 100 pop shit. how can anyone honestly say they enjoy that shit! lool"

But yeah, you're cool. I guess I was pretty much using you as a launch pad for some bullshit attacks on the niggers I'm talking about. My bad. Yup. Defo.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2010
    FON wrote: »
    Sambob and Jive Talka were always posting/contributing with brilliant,
    underrated bands and just in general their huge array of musical knowledge kept the forum
    alive. If it wasn't for them I would never have picked up a guitar or found my love for music.

Woah! Sambob? Man we use to talk shitloads about boxing. He'd give me a rundown on his
    side of the world and I'd give him the heads up on my end.
    His views were a bit one sided but he knew his shit....but he was an awesome dude to talk to.
    Think I still got his e-mail address. Might give him a YELL! about this place.
    5char brah!
  • edited August 2010
    ^ What are you talking about? Nothing was lost during the time we were down. If you uploaded it before we switched to the new host a while back, that's probably why. All it takes is to repost it again, it wont go anywhere.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited August 2010
    -SpectraL wrote: »
    It was quite obvious the third or fourth time the site went down here that a new host needed to be located and implemented, but that never happened; those kinds of things cannot just be simply ignored.

Can't argue with you there.
    edited August 2010
    -SpectraL wrote: »
    It was only when the administration allowed Half Baked, as a concession to the kidiot-children, that the problem got right out of hand. In perusing the various forums and the posts found therein, I can see that happening here, too. This place just isn't moderated, and that's a big concern for me.

How is this place not being moderated? Could you link to problematic threads?
    edited August 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    How is this place not being moderated? Could you link to problematic threads?

Don't ask that, it'll be a list of every thread that isn't morbidly serious, aka every thread here. This is Spectral, ya know.
  • edited August 2010
    Can't argue with you there.

Sure, we might need a better host, but in the meantime - who cares? We all come back straight away, its hardly a problem.
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Sure, we might need a better host, but in the meantime - who cares? We all come back straight away, its hardly a problem.

Yeah its a minor issue, but it gets annoying.
  • HTS-NoobHTS-Noob Regular
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »

Agreed. Sorta. If you aren't already a dedicated zealot in service of the temple of the screaming electron it could mean a fair bit. We don't care all that much, but somebody who doesn't have the history and experience with the site might feel differently. Totse is special to us, but a noob wont give a fuck when 'that site he found the other day' is gone.

The hosting is definitely an issue, but I'm not stressing for the moment. It's pretty important to fix it up, but the site can/will survive in it's injured state.
    edited August 2010
    Don't ask that, it'll be a list of every thread that isn't morbidly serious, aka every thread here. This is Spectral, ya know.

*spongebob face*

I know.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    Regarding the site issue. Well, we fixed the problem and the site was running stable for days/weeks mind you. We just installed WordPress and it shat brix. We removed it and now we're thinking of doing something else. It was a calculated risk but it was necessary. I manage the forums with Hellish and users contributions and data safety is extremely important to me. For a guy with almost 2,000 posts. I am not kidding.

If anything happens, I would lose the most posts and I would love to avoid that.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    Regarding the kidiot posts. Well, we're starting from scratch and there is no way in hell we can wave the kill the newbie flag on Totse.info. On here we're educating the newbies about Totse NOT banning them because they don't understand things. You have to be active and teach new users and only then they will learn.

Totse.info is a perfect place for this. It doesn't have a history like Zoklet or Totse2, which makes it easier for new users to settle in.