Stopping things on the internet (bullying, piracy etc)

edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
What are your opinions on these subjects? There are people all over the place trying to stop things like piracy and cyber bulling happening, but on top of that, there are millions of people continuing the actions.

Are they pissing in an ocean of piss here? And what do you think about these kind of things? Personally, I don't think they should even bother cracking down on either of them, its pretty much a waste of time, no?

Comments

• Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    What are your opinions on these subjects? There are people all over the place trying to stop things like piracy and cyber bulling happening, but on top of that, there are millions of people continuing the actions.

Are they pissing in an ocean of piss here? And what do you think about these kind of things? Personally, I don't think they should even bother cracking down on either of them, its pretty much a waste of time, no?

I could understand the piracy thing. If I was a singer I'd be pissed niggers were stealing my shit. Cyber-Bulling is just fucking stupid. If you commit suicide because of something somebody said on IRC then you deserve to die.:facepalm:
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited August 2010
    napster led to other filesharing and p2p networks, its basically everywhere now. as for cyber bullying, try building confidence off the computer first. i see no problems with both.
  • edited August 2010
    Cyber bullying is hilarious, and those who take it seriously are totally retarded. One time, (at band camp) a bunch of my friends talked shit to this girl on Facebook, and her mom printed out the conversation and took it to the cops. It was actually ridiculous.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    I could understand the piracy thing. If I was a singer I'd be pissed niggers were stealing my shit. Cyber-Bulling is just fucking stupid. If you commit suicide because of something somebody said on IRC then you deserve to die.:facepalm:

They make their money from touring, not cd sales. If these artists were smart they'd offer their music in .flac, 320kbps mp3 and maybe apple lossless on their website for $3. I don't want to spend $15 on a cd, but buying an album directly from the artist for $3 and getting .flac would make me way more likely to do it. I try to support artists I really like, but I think it's really stupid that they get 1 cent from the cd sale and the rest goes to the record company. Supporting artists is good. Supporting greedy record companies is not.

The truth is though that I've found tons of bands thanks to filesharing. Without it, I wouldn't even have bothered. I'll spend 97 cents to buy a random used cd, but I won't spend $15 on a cd I haven't heard before. If I'm at a local concert and I like the band, I'll spend $10 on their cd, knowing they're reaping the rewards.

There's no way to stop piracy or cyberbullying. People need to get over it. Companies need to adapt. People need to learn how to not be a cyberbullying target (i.e. don't put stupid fucking videos of yourself on the internet).
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2010
    I see it as a welcome, yet pointless exercise.

I am 110% for people trying to stop anonymity and piracy on the Internet. It makes the year interesting to watch failed attempt after failed attempt. Anonymity isn't the issue when it comes to cyber bullying. Don't blame the bully, blame the instigator (the child and dumbass) that is allowed to come online into a world that is still just an infant compared to the physical world that's been around for thousands of years (human history) which has been mastered.

Stopping piracy? That's even more impossible at this point than preventing anonymity. Those trying to curtail it have no fucking idea how the shit even works in the first place. I've been involved with piracy for 14 years and little has changed except the maturity has dropped amongst those who actually pirate and those who crack things for others to pirate. Businesses are wasting their fucking time using DRM and encryption and it just gives them a reason to act like fucking douchebags and mark up their bullshit half-assed products and then blame piracy for lack of sales. Unfortunately, the government actually takes them serious and hardly ever tries the game or application in the first place.
  • edited August 2010
    I'd love for people who try and stop piracy or cyber bullying to read this thread.
  • NightsideNightside Regular
    edited August 2010
    The only people who get hurt by cyber-bullying are people with ego's too huge. Thinking you can go through life with everyone liking you is just stupid to begin with.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    I do both because I know nobody can stop me :cool:
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2010
    Jesus reminds me of this article I just read.

US woman sues Google

A US WOMAN has had a gutsful of people who had been posting nasty videos about her on Youtube and is suing Google to find out the identity of the person who is doing it.

Carla Franklin, a former model and actress turned businesswoman told a court that a Google user or users called her a whore in comments made under pseudonyms on a Columbia Business School website.

Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1728454/us-woman-sues-google
  • TruthWielderTruthWielder Regular
    edited August 2010
    It's kind of like trying to stop a tsunami or wildfire by complaining to it. Eventually, the complaints are not only inane but irrelevant.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
    lol cyber-bullying.

zomg text is being mean!!!111one111
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    daily wrote: »
    lol cyber-bullying.

Zomg text is being mean!!!111one111

....................../´¯/)
    ....................,/¯../
    .................../..../
    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
    ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
    .........\.................'...../
    ..........''...\.......... _.·´
    ............\..............(
    ..............\.............\...

amidoinitrite?
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
  • BitterConflictBitterConflict Regular
    edited August 2010
    Are You A Cyber Bully?

Ever wondered if you were bullying someone online? Often, people who are victims are also bullies. Before you feel too bad for yourself, take the quiz below to find if you too, are part of the cyberbullying problem! Rate yourself on the following point scale according to if, and how many times, you have done the below activities. Give yourself:

* 0 points if you’ve never done it.
    * 1 point if you have done it once or twice.
    * 2 points if you have done it 3-5 times.
    * 3 points if you have done it more than 5 times.

Have you ever...

* Signed on with someone else’s screen name to gather info?
    * Sent an e-mail or online greeting “card from someone’s account?
    * Impersonated someone over IM or online?
    * Teased or frightened someone over IM?
    * Not told someone who you really are online?
    * Forwarded a private IM conversation or e-mail without the permission of the other person?
    * Changed your profile or away message designed to embarrass or frighten someone?
    * Posted pictures or information about someone on a Web site without their consent?
    * Created an Internet poll, either over IM or on a Web site, about someone without their consent?
    * Used information found online to follow, tease, embarrass or harass someone in person?
    * Sent rude or scary things to someone, even if you were just joking?
    * Used bad language online?
    * Signed someone else up for something online without their permission?
    * Used an IM or e-mail address that looked like someone else’s?
    * Used someone else’s password for any reason without their permission?
    * Hacked into someone else’s computer or sent a virus or Trojan horse to them?
    * Insulted someone in an interactive game room?
    * Posted rude things or lies about someone online?
    * Voted at an online bashing poll or posted to a guestbook saying rude or mean things?

Now calculate your total score:

0–5 Points: Cyber Saint

* Congratulations! You’re a cyber saint! Your online behavior is exemplary! Keep up the good work!

6-10 Points: Cyber Risky

* Hey, you’re not perfect, but few people are. Chances are you haven’t done anything terrible and were just having fun. Try not to repeat your offensive behaviors though. Keep in mind the pain that your fun might be causing others!

11-18 Points: Cyber Sinner

* Your online behavior needs to be improved! You have done way too many cyber no-no’s! Your practices are dangerous, wrong, and punishable! Try to be clean up that cyber record of yours!

18+: Cyber Bully

* Put on the brakes and turn that PC/MAC/text-messaging device around! You are in bad bad trouble! Now you need to sign off and think about where that little mouse of yours has been clicking before serious trouble results for you and/or your victim(s), if it hasn’t happened already!

Shit... I'm a Cyber Sinner. :o lol
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    edited August 2010
    I got a 54. Shit.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited August 2010
    CyberBulling- LULZ

This nation is really becoming a sespool of weak kneed, pussy baby bitches. Grow the fuck up. Not everyone is going to be nice to your big fat vagina feelings. Suck it up. What has changed in the last 20-15 years that we need to be a bunch of pussies?
  • MegaKushMegaKush Regular
    edited August 2010
    No. you cant stop those things because the internet is unstoppable.
  • HTS-NoobHTS-Noob Regular
    edited August 2010
    This happens more than you can imagine, Bulling is rabbit on these types of web sites, the parents either think its kids being kids or don't care, when several group up on one in any fashion its called a bulling , and any parent that thinks its "Kids being Kids" should not be aloud to be parents.
  • Brock SamsonBrock Samson Regular
    edited August 2010
    acid_drop wrote: »
    CyberBulling- LULZ

This nation is really becoming a sespool of weak kneed, pussy baby bitches. Grow the fuck up. Not everyone is going to be nice to your big fat vagina feelings. Suck it up. What has changed in the last 20-15 years that we need to be a bunch of pussies?

Yeah, im so fucking sick of protectionist culture in general. Internet, smoking, 1st and second ammendments, "keep it green", "fat tax". Maybe if people stopped trying to limit my rights, and GREW THE FUCK UP AND HANDLED THEIR OWN SHIT then the world would be a better place.
  • edited August 2010
    i wont even cared that much to make a post about them ... if you ask me.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited August 2010
    How can you even get bullied on the internet if some1 tried to bully me I'd just be like LOL :o:o you stupid liserd
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    acid_drop wrote: »
    CyberBulling- LULZ

I blame liberals' and hippies. Its truley amazing how damn sensitive everyone has become. It makes you fear for our country I mean damn.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited August 2010
    I blame liberals' and hippies. Its truley amazing how damn sensitive everyone has become. It makes you fear for our country I mean damn.

You speak the truth. Personally, I love hurting peoples feelings over the internet and getting music, movies, comics, books, games, and software for free. I'm a very bad man. :hai:
    edited August 2010

I don't see what liberals have to do with it. I'm a liberal and I love cyber bullying.