Terrorism question

edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
When you own your own jet, or charter one privately, you don't go through normal airport security. I imagine there's some kind of passport control, but nowhere near that of a commercial airliner. What's to stop some terrorists charterring a big private plane, taking out the pilot and flying it into the White House?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Restricted airspace? I have no real idea, but I guess that certain parts of the sky are owned and monitored at all times by air traffic control. If you fly in restricted airspace, you probably get shot down unless you have a good reason.

Maybe.
  • edited August 2010
    The White House isn't SO secluded that it would be obvious where you were heading. By the time they figured out what you were doing they'd have no chance of dispatching fighter jets/AA missiles in time, plus, if they did that it'd still fall down in the middle of Washington.
  • edited August 2010
    Hmm. There has to be SOMETHING stopping it from happening though, and that's the only thing I can think of. Maybe some research needs to be done here!

Unless someone else has the answer... *waits*
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah, I'm guessing it can't be that easy or they would've done it already. Beyond that I'm clueless.
  • VickyVicky Regular
    edited August 2010
    You still have to go through customs if you own a private jet. And I think you have to let the air traffic controller know when you're taking off and where you are going. If you go off track they'd know pretty quickly. Also, the person killing themselves are most likely going to be a brainwashed person with little ties, they'd have to be given access to a plane and be able to pilot it themselves. The rich guy who owns the plane isn't going to be doing the suicide mission. And who is going to risk getting implicated in putting a plane in washington? I imagine they're on the alert for these sort of things. But theoretically it wouldn't be too hard, but there aren't too many successful terrorists acts involving planes bar 9/11. And even that is contested by a lot of people. They're usually a kickback from something happening in a another country, so it's more likely the terrorist attack would be done where the problem was, for example suicide bombers in iraq. They would target what would be seen as the enemy, the soldiers, not the government.
  • edited August 2010
    If there are any feds lurking this thread, please sign up and let us know how to bomb the white house.

Love from Trx
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2010
    The White House isn't SO secluded that it would be obvious where you were heading. By the time they figured out what you were doing they'd have no chance of dispatching fighter jets/AA missiles in time, plus, if they did that it'd still fall down in the middle of Washington.

You are an idiot. The airspace in that sector is the most tightly controlled and monitored airspace in the world.