Marijuana/Tobacco Mixed

StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
edited September 2010 in Man Cave
I smoke pipe tobacco and the other night after breaking down some weed I decided to mix the two. I put more tobacco than weed so neither the smell nor appearance would be too obvious. This way I can have it and nobody will think about what it could be. When I go to work I put some tobacco in a bag so nobody would know the difference if it had weed mixed in as well. I think I'm going to try this. A friend of mine swears that when he mixed weed with clove tobacco it gave him some sort of extra high. I don't know the name for doing this but I've heard it is common/popular some places.

Comments

• SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited August 2010
    It's pretty standard for people around here to mix the two. I don't know, I definately think it gives a different high but it's not necessarily better. For me, it just works quicker and goes quicker. Smoking straight brings on a more 'stoned' feeling, slower, and longer lasting, leaving you kinda burned out after a while. With baccy it's a much more instant, but short lasting high, feeling more relaxed than proper stoned. I dunno, this is just me and it's hard to explain, I just like straight more when I actually want to get stoned, mixed is more for occasions when I want to have a quick smoke, but cigarettes won't quite cut it. Give it a go and see what works for you I guess
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited August 2010
    Everyone I know mixes, and I don't think I have smoked unmixed bud more than once or twice. It seems to space it out better, and if you are smoking with a group it kind of dilutes it enough so someone can't hog the weed significantly more than anyone else. I prefere it because of the slight rush and the similtanous nicotine fix.
  • FONFON Regular
    edited August 2010
    Everybody in my fucking area smokes with spin. It's sorta annoying...My largest complaint is the nicotine withdrawals I have if I stop smoking. I don't smoke cigarettes.

But yeah, it does make a mix go a bit further...And the instant rush after a bong hit is definitely an addictive feeling.
  • KentKent Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    I've recently stopped smoking cigarettes but still always spin my weed with tobacco. Usually a 50-50 ratio between the two.
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't know anyone who mixes, it must not be common where I live. I've even known people who smoke both but still smoke them separately.

But that's ok 'cause I don't like tobacco anyway.
  • Spence_tronSpence_tron Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    Shit, are all you guys European? I mean, I mix my weed with clove/tobacco sometimes, and only when I'm rolling big joints. I still only use a 1:4 ratio tobacco/weed if that, and it's mostly for flavor, burn rate/evenness, and for filler. I still usually smoke bongs, and sometimes pipes or unadulterated joints/blunts when on the go/outside.

I guess I'm not a huge fan of tobacco, I only really enjoy clove cigarettes sometimes and privately grown/cured tobacco leaf. I really savor the flavor of weed though, and it is important to me to preserve it, and that is why I smoke glass on glass 95% of the time (and get good, well grown, well nutrient flushed, well cured bud). Mixing with tobacco just kind of ruins it for me, unless joints are involved, they're a whole different ballgame :p. If I want that little rush, ill smoke after wards.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    This must be a European thing. Nobody in my area does this. I usually smoke out of a bong but adding tobacco sounds to harsh. I keep my tobacco and bud separate.
  • FONFON Regular
    edited August 2010
    European thing? Hahahaha...I'm sure people outside of Europe and Australia do this. Just because you haven't personally seen somebody doing it does not mean it isn't happening.
  • SliceSlice Regular
    edited August 2010
    No one around here mixes it but I do sometimes to conserve weed. It's usually a pretty nice high actually, especially if you don't usually smoke tobacco. The nicotine rush I get sort of intensifies the marijuana high, but not for very long. I'd rather smoke just weed, but every once and a while I like to mix in a little tobacco.
  • Spence_tronSpence_tron Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    FON wrote: »
    European thing? Hahahaha...I'm sure people outside of Europe and Australia do this. Just because you haven't personally seen somebody doing it does not mean it isn't happening.

Mixing tobacco with weed, namely making "spliffs", is much more prevalent in Europe than anywhere else. I'm sure pockets of humanity in other countries followed the trend/ did it on their own, but it is kind of a Europe thing.

Anyone who is a forum junkie and has been catching drug conversation for a while will notice this.
  • edited August 2010
    Because I don't smoke cigarettes, I tend to get a strong rush whenever I take a hit of some good tobacco. I cut off part of a cigar, grind it up and load it into the bong every now and then along with my weed. Feels good.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    I know a few people who mix them. If I remember right they said they liked how it burned evenly and they could make their stash go a little further.
  • FONFON Regular
    edited August 2010
    Anyone who is a forum junkie and has been catching drug conversation for a while will notice this.

People on a forum saying one thing from their extremely narrow field of experience does not equal the rest of mankind's view, opinion or experience in any way.
  • AltindAltind Regular
    edited August 2010
    I really only ever smoke weed when mixed with tobacco.
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited August 2010
    People on a forum saying one thing from their extremely narrow field of experience does not equal the rest of mankind's view, opinion or experience in any way.

And you're the exception?
  • FONFON Regular
    edited August 2010
    Obbe wrote: »
    And you're the exception?

I agree with that guys statement that a lot of Europeans on forums seem to smoke 'spliffs'....I just don't believe people on forums make up the majority of smokers, and that this is unquestionably true. I think everyone could agree on that...Hence, there is no exception.
  • edited August 2010
    I agree with that guys statement that a lot of Europeans on forums seem to smoke 'spliffs'....I just don't believe people on forums make up the majority of smokers, and that this is unquestionably true. I think everyone could agree on that...Hence, there is no exception.

You don't have to be most people to know what most people do, and most Americans don't smoke Spliffs.
  • Mr.HappyMr.Happy Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18855154

"We have found that tobacco increases the amount of THC inhaled per gram of cannabis from 32.70 +/- 2.29 mg/g for a 100% cannabis cigarette to 58.90 +/- 2.30 mg/g for a 25% cannabis cigarette. This indicates that tobacco increases the vaporization efficiency of THC by as much as 45% under the conditions tested."

Only small rolling-machine cigarettes were tested, but it makes logical sense that if a 3:1 ratio of tobacco:marijuana increases inhaled THC by 45% in identical rolling conditions, this advantage will hold true (to a larger or lesser extent) in other rolling conditions.

I always mix tobacco with my weed, as does everyone I know (Brit here, 99% of my smoking is through a spliff). It lasts longer, it burns more evenly, I prefer the high and it's more efficient. I figured it was more efficient before I ever found that study, too; when you figure that 100% of the wasted (non-inhaled) smoke from a pure weed smokeable is THC-containing smoke, and only 25% from a 3:1 tobacco:marijuana smokeable is THC-containing smoke, the choice is obvious.
  • FONFON Regular
    edited August 2010
    You don't have to be most people to know what most people do, and most Americans don't smoke Spliffs.

But making your judgement based on what forum-goers say is not going to be very accurate.

If you've lived extensively in a foreign country and hung out with a lot of weed smokers, then it would hold more credibility.
  • ScuDScuD Regular
    edited August 2010
    people think its wierd here. some people do do it though. there is always one fucker in the circle thats like. maaan we should throw some tobaccy in there bro. i've never seen it go down as everyone is strongly opposed to the idea. "ew nigga"
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited September 2010
    I've never mixed tobacco with weed, but I can tell you that it's worse for you than just smoking weed. If smoked properly, weed has NO proven adverse effects. ALL of the medical studies that show weed having an adverse effect on your body are done on people who also smoke cigarettes, making them NULL.
    edited September 2010
    I've never mixed tobacco with weed, but I can tell you that it's worse for you than just smoking weed. If smoked properly, weed has NO proven adverse effects. ALL of the medical studies that show weed having an adverse effect on your body are done on people who also smoke cigarettes, making them NULL.

Lol. Stoner myth.

http://www.ukcia.org/research/AdverseEffectsOfCannabis.pdf

"Bloom and colleagues reported similar additive effects
    on bronchitic symptoms in an epidemiological study of
    the respiratory effects of smoking “non-tobacco”
    cigarettes in 990 individuals aged under 40 years in
    Tucson, Arizona, USA. Non-tobacco smokers reported
    more coughing, phlegm production, and wheeze than
    non-smokers, irrespective of whether they also smoked
    tobacco
    . Those who had never smoked any substance
    had the best respiratory functioning, followed in order of
    decreasing function by current tobacco smokers, current
    non-tobacco smokers, and current smokers of both
    tobacco and non-tobacco cigarettes. Non-tobacco
    smoking alone had a larger effect on respiratory function
    than tobacco smoking alone, and the effect of both types
    of smoking was additive
    ."

There are plenty of other properly-conducted studies too, and respiratory effects aren't the only ones there's evidence for. Believe it or not, scientists know how to eliminate confounding variables from their research. Yes, 'non-tobacco' smokers is a euphemism for weed smokers*. Note particularly how current smokers of marijuana alone show more respiratory impairment that current smokers of tobacco alone, although less than current smokers of both substances.

Marijuana may not be as harmful as other substances, but to say it has no proven detrimental effects and is perfectly safe to use is just plain wrong.

*from the Bloom et al. study cited; "The questions referred to "non-tobacco cigarette" smoking because of the illegality of marijuana use."
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited September 2010
    Ha! I've learned a few thing from this thread. +1 &T and users
  • edited September 2010
    Mr.Happy wrote: »
    Lol. Stoner myth.

http://www.ukcia.org/research/AdverseEffectsOfCannabis.pdf

"Bloom and colleagues reported similar additive effects
    on bronchitic symptoms in an epidemiological study of
    the respiratory effects of smoking “non-tobacco”
    cigarettes in 990 individuals aged under 40 years in
    Tucson, Arizona, USA. Non-tobacco smokers reported
    more coughing, phlegm production, and wheeze than
    non-smokers, irrespective of whether they also smoked
    tobacco
    . Those who had never smoked any substance
    had the best respiratory functioning, followed in order of
    decreasing function by current tobacco smokers, current
    non-tobacco smokers, and current smokers of both
    tobacco and non-tobacco cigarettes. Non-tobacco
    smoking alone had a larger effect on respiratory function
    than tobacco smoking alone, and the effect of both types
    of smoking was additive
    ."

There are plenty of other properly-conducted studies too, and respiratory effects aren't the only ones there's evidence for. Believe it or not, scientists know how to eliminate confounding variables from their research. Yes, 'non-tobacco' smokers is a euphemism for weed smokers*. Note particularly how current smokers of marijuana alone show more respiratory impairment that current smokers of tobacco alone, although less than current smokers of both substances.

Marijuana may not be as harmful as other substances, but to say it has no proven detrimental effects and is perfectly safe to use is just plain wrong.

*from the Bloom et al. study cited; "The questions referred to "non-tobacco cigarette" smoking because of the illegality of marijuana use."

Studies have found that moderate cannabis use is a protective factor against lung, head and neck cancers. Also, many of the constituents of marijuana show potential in cancer treatment.
    But making your judgement based on what forum-goers say is not going to be very accurate.

If you've lived extensively in a foreign country and hung out with a lot of weed smokers, then it would hold more credibility.

What to you mean? I live in the states, and spliffs are less common here (We smoke blunts) than they are in common wealth countries and parts of Europe.
    edited September 2010
    Studies have found that moderate cannabis use is a protective factor against lung, head and neck cancers. Also, many of the constituents of marijuana show potential in cancer treatment.

Quite true. Moderate alcohol use reduces your risk of heart disease and abnormal blood pressure, as well as a host of other diseases. In fact, the health benefits of alcohol are much more numerous and well-documented than the health benefits of marijuana.

That doesn't mean it's correct to say that alcohol has no adverse effects on a drinker, just as it isn't correct to say that marijuana has no adverse effects on a smoker.
  • FONFON Regular
    edited September 2010
    What to you mean? I live in the states, and spliffs are less common here (We smoke blunts) than they are in common wealth countries and parts of Europe.

I mean when people make these claims they are just generalizing and actually have no idea since their assumption is based purely on what happens in their own town and have no way of knowing what happens in the rest of the USA.