Abandon Earth or Face Extinction, Stephen Hawking Warns -- Again

AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
edited October 2010 in Spurious Generalities
So the genius is at it again and making statements that are way ahead of our time.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/08/09/abandon-earth-face-extinction-warns-stephen-hawking/

I personally do not think that the human race will become extinct anytime soon. If a ice age happens, I believe that we will adapt to it and live through one like we did before. There are a lot of variables to consider though. We live off of animals and if those species become extinct than it will be harder for us to live.

Truthfully I won't be alive when this happens hopefully so who cares right? ;)

So what does totse think about this article?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    I hope I'm immortal so that I can see all this. Also, if I'm immortal, I don't have to worry about any of the effects :D

But realistically, Hawking is speaking to people of the wrong time period. It's great that he wants us to have some action, but most of us will realize that we will be dead long before then and not do anything. Selfish? Yes. That's the essence of humanity.
  • AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
    edited September 2010
    If we live and adapt i hope we adapt into some type of badass super human. Sort of like the suit in Crysis :D
    edited September 2010
    The key to the survival of humankind is the evolution of intelligence and technology, and while all of this is growing extremely fast, I hope it's fast enough. Space tech needs to grow. It's benefits are massive. Not only the direct benefit of discovery and escape, but also the trickling benefits to numerous other industries.
    edited September 2010
    I do agree with expanding space programs and putting more funding into them. The U.S. space program is the least funded federal program in the U.S. and just took another cut. I think expanding the space program and exploring space will open up opportunities. The making of Generation type space ships would be useful looking into. We really just need to figure out how to fold space to travel faster.
    edited September 2010
    Making generation ships would probably be easier than figuring out warpspeed. Unless of course some physicist is extremely lucky.
    edited September 2010
    Yeah making generation ships would be easier. We need to at least get close to traveling close to the speed of light.

Nothing will make the human race extinct! :D
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited September 2010
    well, we would have to abandon earth eventually, but its going to be a loooong time before we need to do anything
  • RuptureRupture Regular
    edited September 2010
    Who gives a shit about humanity? All that matters is your own life and nothing else.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited September 2010
    Good. I never liked the human race anyway.
  • edited September 2010
    It'd be good if every country put together all of their space-programs so we could have one, massively funded international organization in charge of space missions.
    edited September 2010
    It'd be good if every country put together all of their space-programs so we could have one, massively funded international organization in charge of space missions.

Maybe we could do something cool, and colonize the useless ass moon. It's a realistic goal.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010

That would be cool. It's too bad country's have to be so caught up in the whole "look I reached this place first" mentality. Humans being retarded and Just nuking the earth into oblivion is more likely than any natural disaster imo. Our technology is advancing at such a rapid pace that it will ultimately cause our demise.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Fuck it, I don't care about my future generations. But if I have some kind of power I might try finding ways to make myself immortal, only then I would give a shit about caring about humanity survival. Lets face it, we already hate each other, why bother worrying about surviving.

I say, lets nuke everything and be done with it. FUCK HUMANS!
  • edited September 2010
    Maybe we could do something cool, and colonize the useless ass moon. It's a realistic goal.

We should cover it with solar panels and make a fucking huge cable to bring electricity from there to here.
    edited September 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Fuck it, I don't care about my future generations. But if I have some kind of power I might try finding ways to make myself immortal, only then I would give a shit about caring about humanity survival. Lets face it, we already hate each other, why bother worrying about surviving.

I say, lets nuke everything and be done with it. FUCK HUMANS!

Immortality would suck. What if you got trapped under a building during an earthquake and search and rescue just gave up. Then they just build over the rubble but you couldnt die since your immortal. You'd be trapped under a building forever. Or what if you got trapped in a cave that collapsed or some shit.
    edited September 2010
    That's the big problem with immortality. Eventually, you'll be drifting forever and be so bored you just want to die. Immortality within bounds would be better. If I'm immortal until I sincerely choose to die, that would be just swell.
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    That's the big problem with immortality. Eventually, you'll be drifting forever and be so bored you just want to die. Immortality within bounds would be better. If I'm immortal until I sincerely choose to die, that would be just swell.

Yeah I could go for that. I'd also worry about being kidnapped by the government so they could run tests on why Im immortal.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18708_5-reasons-immortality-would-be-worse-than-death.html

The above article summarizes very well why it would suck. I thought it'd be cool at first but even though it's from cracked it made some very good points.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't understand why we can't just build fucking spaceships. Stop making tanks. Make spaceships dammit!!!
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    I do agree with expanding space programs and putting more funding into them. The U.S. space program is the least funded federal program in the U.S. and just took another cut.

True, but a lot of the space stuff is going private now. The two leaders ATM are spacex and virgin galactic.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Making generation ships would probably be easier than figuring out warpspeed. Unless of course some physicist is extremely lucky.

We have known how to warp space for over 20 years.

http://www.gravitywarpdrive.com/Gravity_Generator.htm
    edited September 2010

Wow. Two loads of shit in one minute! You people are on a roll.
  • edited September 2010
    Who else laughed at the picture of Stephen Hawking when they opened that website?
    edited September 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Who else laughed at the picture of Stephen Hawking when they opened that website?

Eh, I've seen his face so many times I've become desensitized to any humour in it :o
    edited September 2010
    Anyone else realize the mindfuck that is humanity? It's not like cats or lizards plan on leaving the planet.
    edited September 2010
    Dolphins might leave, though.
    edited September 2010
    Not without electricity they wont. Sadly dolphins will never progress like us, due to the conductivity of salt water.

Oh yeah, there's no fire too.
    edited September 2010
    Wow. Two loads of shit in one minute! You people are on a roll.

Laugh if you will but I met this man when I lived in Las Vegas and I know the truth. To bad you are cloaked in the ignorance that has been programed into you by the mass media.
    edited September 2010
    I've been programmed by the known laws of physics and general relativity brah. Fuck the media.
    edited September 2010
    I've been programmed by the known laws of physics and general relativity brah. Fuck the media.

Do you know all of the known laws of physics. Even if you know 50% of the known laws of physics that still means nothing. Considering that at one time the known laws of science stated that the earth was flat.

So again I know the truth and you, like so many before you, are cloaked in the warmth and comfort born of your ignorance.

Before you reply again you need to answer a few question to yourself. (please do not answer them in your reply as I don't know you, don't want to know you, and don't give a flying fuck about you or what you think you know.)

Ask yourself if man knows all about the universe.

Ask yourself if you know all that man knows.

Ask yourself how many times in just the last 100 years known facts have been shown to be pure fallacy based on the discovery of new information.

Ask yourself why must man continually distort the universe with decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

Ask yourself if you think I give a fuck what you believe.

Ask yourself if you knew the truth about something and some useless fuck, like yourself, didn't know or believe the truth would you give a fuck what he thought.

And finally ask yourself if you spent less time trying to look smart on the internutz if you might finally pop your cherry.

Allow me to stress once more that I could not care less what you believe and I definitely don't want to here the answers to questions you ask yourself.

I hope this helps you understand how insignificant you and what you believe are in my universe. I also hope this helps you the next time you think about replying to anything I may post on this site. In fact let me give you one last bit of assistance before I erase the memory of your pathetic existence from my mind. Until such time as you have learned to think for yourself and stop letting others think for you so you may simply regurgitate their thoughts as if they sprang from your dank little cranium you need not bother commenting on anything I post as it will get you absolutely zero attention in the future.

Now carry on like a good little prole and go read some more known facts so you may shore up the fallacy of your intellectual prowess.
    edited September 2010
    Ununpentium's most stable isotope has a half life of 220 milliseconds. Radioactive decay cannot be halted unless the mass is sped up to 100% the speed of light. That takes infinite energy. Why? As a mass speeds up time slows down for it, and it becomes heavier. Heaver objects have more inertia, and the closer you get an object to the speed of light, the heavier it gets, the amount of energy needed to get the object at the speed of light becomes infinite.

Assuming you did manage to get ununpentium to the speed of light, since time has stopped for it, information processing has halted and ununpentium becomes "frozen." It cannot affect anything, nothing can affect it. It might as well not exist.

Also, 224 grams of ununpentium would be so massively radioactive, it's decay heat would melt anything. Even tungsten. It'd melt right through the supposed thermoelectric generator. Not only that, In one second it is no longer ununpentium.

Elements can't fuse by proton bombardment. Protons are positively charged and the nucleus repels them. If protons could fuse by bombardment, the universe would quickly become one big atom.

So you managed to fuse the atom and proton? Good job. Now it decays via alpha decay, and releases helium. Element 116 becomes element 114, and helium with an energy of about 5million electron volts is released. About the amount of energy required to let it move through a few cm of air. No antimatter brah.

Okay so suppose it decays via beta+ or positron emission. Good job, an anti-electron is released. It soon annihilates with an electron, and releases a gamma ray with an energy of about 1geV. Nowhere near the amount of energy required to fuse the atom in the first place. You have successfully lost about 99.9% of the energy you tried to "claim."
    edited September 2010
    Ununpentium's most stable isotope has a half life of 220 milliseconds. Radioactive decay cannot be halted unless the mass is sped up to 100% the speed of light. That takes infinite energy. Why? As a mass speeds up time slows down for it, and it becomes heavier. Heaver objects have more inertia, and the closer you get an object to the speed of light, the heavier it gets, the amount of energy needed to get the object at the speed of light becomes infinite.

Assuming you did manage to get ununpentium to the speed of light, since time has stopped for it, information processing has halted and ununpentium becomes "frozen." It cannot affect anything, nothing can affect it. It might as well not exist.

Also, 224 grams of ununpentium would be so massively radioactive, it's decay heat would melt anything. Even tungsten. It'd melt right through the supposed thermoelectric generator. Not only that, In one second it is no longer ununpentium.

Elements can't fuse by proton bombardment. Protons are positively charged and the nucleus repels them. If protons could fuse by bombardment, the universe would quickly become one big atom.

So you managed to fuse the atom and proton? Good job. Now it decays via alpha decay, and releases helium. Element 116 becomes element 114, and helium with an energy of about 5million electron volts is released. About the amount of energy required to let it move through a few cm of air. No antimatter brah.

Okay so suppose it decays via beta+ or positron emission. Good job, an anti-electron is released. It soon annihilates with an electron, and releases a gamma ray with an energy of about 1geV. Nowhere near the amount of energy required to fuse the atom in the first place. You have successfully lost about 99.9% of the energy you tried to "claim."

I can't wait to see his response to this lol.
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I'm good at popping people's bubbles.
    edited September 2010
    I'm impressed you know that much about it. I might know how to taste wine, but I know nothing about physics and the elements :/
  • FONFON Regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh god, not more space exploration...

What a waste of time, effort and money. Put those faculties toward fixing our own planet, not exploring uninhabitable space, you daft cunts.
    edited September 2010
    This thread made a creepy amount of sense.....
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I'm good at popping people's bubbles.

You are good a puffing up your own bubble. Enjoy your limited knowledge....
    edited September 2010

Interesting theory. I have no doubt our government is involved with secretive technology that we cant even begin to imagine. In my mind theres little doubt UFO's exist so I honestly wouldnt be to surprised if we have knowledge of that kind of technology.
    edited September 2010

Why can't you refute his post?
    edited September 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Why can't you refute his post?

Let me tell ya 'lil secret skippy. If I tell a man that clouds are white and the sky is blue and he insists that they are red and orange I do not waste my time trying to teach that pig to sing. It only frustrates me and annoys the pig.

So you can carry on now that I have set you straight.
    edited September 2010
    So you actually met this guy and he seemed legit? Was it just a random encounter or what? Did he have any supporting proof of this. Im intrigued by this theory. Have you ever read about that base thats supposed to be inside archuleta mesa? There's supposedly some very strange things going on there.
    edited September 2010
    Let me tell ya 'lil secret skippy. If I tell a man that clouds are white and the sky is blue and he insists that they are red and orange I do not waste my time trying to teach that pig to sing. It only frustrates me and annoys the pig.

So you can carry on now that I have set you straight.

In that scenario, you're the one saying the extraordinary thing, which is why I'm asking if you can prove your case.
    edited September 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    In that scenario, you're the one saying the extraordinary thing, which is why I'm asking if you can prove your case.

It is not my case, it is Bob Lazar's. So if you want proof find it yourself. Like I said I met the man on several occasions when living in Las Vegas and I know the truth. I shared it here and you can either believe or not. If you choose not to then the I am none the poorer for your mistake.
  • edited September 2010
    It is not my case, it is Bob Lazar's. So if you want proof find it yourself. Like I said I met the man on several occasions when living in Las Vegas and I know the truth. I shared it here and you can either believe or not. If you choose not to then the I am none the poorer for your mistake.

Nigger, you're stupid.
    edited September 2010

So you bring shit up, say you believe in it, call everyone else stupid, and then when I ask you to bring some proof you tell me to go google it and that it's not your case, you only believe in it, as if that somehow absolved you of the necessity of defending your position.

This is totse. Bring the info here. If you believe something, back it up.
    edited September 2010
    First off why in the hell would you believe anything Bob Lazar says in the first place?
    He is a lying sack of shit that nobody believes. There are a lot of cracked out theories and theorists and he is just one of them. I don't believe a word he says.'

His creditability is already shot. There is no record that he went to the colleges he said he did, and no scientist or people of authority remember ever meeting him like he claims they were best buds.

Believe what you want to though, everyone to their own.
    edited September 2010

My limited knowledge? I just completely shot then raped bob lazar's theory.
    edited September 2010
    edited September 2010
    My limited knowledge? I just completely shot then raped bob lazar's theory.

Sure you did rabbit, sure you did.
    edited September 2010
    Sure you did rabbit, sure you did.

Orly? Where's your scientific backing for your rebuttal? :mad:
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited September 2010
    So the genius is at it again and making statements that are way ahead of our time.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/08/09/abandon-earth-face-extinction-warns-stephen-hawking/

I personally do not think that the human race will become extinct anytime soon. If a ice age happens, I believe that we will adapt to it and live through one like we did before. There are a lot of variables to consider though. We live off of animals and if those species become extinct than it will be harder for us to live.

Truthfully I won't be alive when this happens hopefully so who cares right? ;)

So what does totse think about this article?

So you're going to grow a layer of fur and fat padding under it in limited time?

The odds of that happening are slim to none, and slim's out of town.

Even those people with that werewolve disease would die off. Their hair wouldn't be able to absorb any heat at all.

These "humans" that adapted to the previous Ice Age, already had several advantages and were used to living in the Arctic biome.