Facebook Attempts to Trademark the word "Face"

MayberryMayberry Regular
edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities
http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/facebook-attempts-trademark-word-%E2%80%9Cface%E2%80%9D-09-02-2010

Last week, Facebook went after social-networking site for teachers, Teachbook, for using the word "book" in its name. This week, Facebook is trying to trademark the word "face." First "book," now "face." It might seem Facebook is attempting to achieve world domination one word at a time.

According to court documents, Facebook is trying to trademark the word "face," but once again the company has met opposition from Aaron Greenspan. Greespan is the CEO and president of mobile payment app FaceCash. Greespan is also known as a Harvard classmate of Mark Zuckerberg, who claimed he was involved in Facebook's development. Greenspan said that he filed two extensions to appose the trademark of "face."

"If you search the patent database, there are thousands of marks that contain the word 'face,'" Greenspan said, according to CNNMoney.com. "I understand where Facebook is coming from, but this move has big implications for my company and for others."

According to experts, Facebook might not win this case. "I'd bet against 'face' being awarded to Facebook," said Henry Sneath, a patent and trademark lawyer based in Pittsburgh. "You cannot overtake the use of a generic word people use in everyday speech."

:facepalm: What is this world coming to?

Comments

• McSkluvinMcSkluvin Regular
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    :facepalm:

You can't use that it has the word face in it....... :o

But yeah, I think it's stupid as fuck that any company can even try to copyright or trademark a common word like that. It's not like they are losing money if someone uses it in something, so it sounds like they do it just to be dicks. :mad:
  • VickyVicky Regular
    edited September 2010
    Nearly as bad as News Corp for trying to sue "Skype", claiming they owned the "Sky"
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    If they win this than damn. You shouldn't even be allowed to try top trademark something like "face". There just being greedy assholes now.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah so I stepped (trademarked by pepsi) out (trademarked by coke) to get some fresh (trademarked by KFC) air (brought to you by Carl's Jr.).
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Yeah so I stepped (trademarked by pepsi) out (trademarked by coke) to get some fresh (trademarked by KFC) air (brought to you by Carl's Jr.).

I was thinking about that possibility. If this continues just knowing human nature what if we get to a point many years from now where every fuckin word is trademarked.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    That's why it's supposed to be illegal to trademark common words. If they trademark face, then every lotion, acne cream, and makeup is going to have to put FaceTM on it or whatever and then put at the bottom *Trademark of Facebook.com. Fucking stupid.