Arctic Ice Melting

MayberryMayberry Regular
edited September 2010 in Life
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=unpredictable-arctic-ice-imperils-pacific-walrus

For generations, Yupik and Inupiat hunters have depended on the Pacific walrus. They ate the walrus' meat and whittled its bones into tools. Walrus skin covered their boats, and walrus intestines, stitched into raincoats, covered their backs. Today, the walrus is still an important part of the subsistence diet in villages along Alaska's Chukchi and Bering sea coasts, and Native Alaskans sell handcrafts made from walrus ivory.

But as the Arctic warms, the landscape upon which both walruses and people depend is changing.

The behavior of sea ice is no longer predictable. Perhaps the best illustration of that came in the summer of 2007, when the Arctic's sea ice cover hit a record low, shattering the previous record by 460,000 square miles -- an area the size of Texas and California combined.

Changing habits of polar bears have drawn most of the attention, but walruses, which depend on drifting summer sea ice as a base for hunting and transportation through the Bering Strait, are changing, too. They are sheltering more on land in Alaska and Siberia.

Just came across this article. It tells a story that's been brought up over and over again, but it's an important story.

I've always joked that the ice is melting cause it's summer, but in all seriousness, I'd hate to see polar bears become extinct. Less ice could mean more oil exploration, but at the cost of ecosystems found nowhere else in the world.

My knowledge here is limited, so it'd be interesting to see what everyone's take on this is.

Comments

• FONFON Regular
    edited August 2010
    We're fucked. None of the major developed countries seem to give a shit and make no attempt to switch to carbon neutral/renewable energy.

I'm gonna ride this flaming wreck of a planet to the bitter end...Will be a hell of a ride.
  • [][][][][][][][] Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    Whats stupid is the ice is melting and instead of putting a lot more focus on trying to counteract it governments are all clamoring over drilling rights and new trade routes :facepalm:
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited August 2010
    If the ice caps melt, the oceans would raise about 200 feet.

This is what florida would look like after a 40 foot rise.
    rising_sea_level.jpg
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    Ive seen studys that prove there not melting. Global warming is nothing but a scheme for people like Al Gore to get rich.
    edited August 2010
    Ive seen studys that prove there not melting. Global warming is nothing but a scheme for people like Al Gore to get rich.

Did you forget about the gigantic ice shelf that broke off and is disintegrating?

r270551_1136945.jpg
  • FONFON Regular
    edited August 2010

There are still more studies pointing to the fact that it IS happening than it isn't. Make your own decision but I'm going to stick with the majority of the studies as being correct, not the minority.
  • EbolaEbola Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    Global warming is no scam! The scam is that it supposedly is caused by human activity.
    Earth will warm up a few degrees before the next ice age. Oceans will rise and we should be preparing for that insted of doing pointless CO2 cuts and taxing...
    Build levies and relocate the most exposed people. Thinking we can in some way stop nature and the cycle of the Sun is as stupid as it is naive.
  • FONFON Regular
    edited August 2010
    Greenhouse effect is bullshit as well then?

Somehow I doubt the huge amounts of carbon/pollution we've poured into the atmosphere over the last 100 years is simply doing nothing....
  • EppillusEppillus Acolyte
    edited September 2010

You should look into some kind of scheme for learnding how to spell. School perhaps?
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited September 2010
    FON wrote: »
    Greenhouse effect is bullshit as well then?

Somehow I doubt the huge amounts of carbon/pollution we've poured into the atmosphere over the last 100 years is simply doing nothing....

Okay seeing as you have a vague feeling it must be true :rolleyes:
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited September 2010
    If the ice caps melt, the oceans would raise about 200 feet.

This is what florida would look like after a 40 foot rise.
    rising_sea_level.jpg

... In a hundred years. What you forget is that most if not all countries will be much richer by this time.

A man in New Dehli today lives for same as the richest men did 100 years ago.
  • RuptureRupture Regular
    edited September 2010
    Who gives a shit. I live too far away from any ocean to make it matter.
  • FONFON Regular
    edited September 2010
    Greenbull wrote: »
    Okay seeing as you have a vague feeling it must be true :rolleyes:

Sarcasm you literal douche, that 'vague feeling' is very much real. I could sit here and type a huge response out about why global warming is real (the greenhouse effect in particular, which was discovered in 1824, as this is the source of your response) and that anybody thinking otherwise is ignorant, scared, or just plain stupid but google and the overwhelming evidence contained within would be infinitely more useful and effective.
    edited September 2010
    Greenbull wrote: »
    ... In a hundred years. What you forget is that most if not all countries will be much richer by this time.

A man in New Dehli today lives for same as the richest men did 100 years ago.

How the fuck will that stop the flooding?
  • edited September 2010
    People who deny global warming are :facepalm:.
    edited September 2010
    People who deny global warming are :facepalm:.

Anyone that believes in global warming is:facepalm: It's a myth invented to make money. It's all a lie. If there is climate change mankind isn't causing it. Science has already proved it doesn't exist. The Global warming myth is what got Al Gore his nice mansion and private jets. Oh but he buys carbon credit's right? And as shown this past week at the discovery building this lie is inspiring terrorism from the left. Any climate change is normal as most scientists have shown. Notice how they call it climate change now? That's because Global warming is a lie. In fact many study's show the earth is actually cooling. It's an outdated theory used for the left to make billions off peoples stupidity.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/05/19/global-cooling-scientists-warming/
    http://www.globalwarminglies.com/
    www.globalwarminghoax.com/
  • edited September 2010
    Anyone that believes in global warming is:facepalm: It's a myth invented to make money. It's all a lie. If there is climate change mankind isn't causing it. Science has already proved it doesn't exist. The Global warming myth is what got Al Gore his nice mansion and private jets. Oh but he buys carbon credit's right? And as shown this past week at the discovery building this lie is inspiring terrorism from the left. Any climate change is normal as most scientists have shown. Notice how they call it climate change now? That's because Global warming is a lie. In fact many study's show the earth is actually cooling. It's an outdated theory used for the left to make billions off peoples stupidity.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/05/19/global-cooling-scientists-warming/
    http://www.globalwarminglies.com/
    www.globalwarminghoax.com/

^

trollseverywhere.gif
    edited September 2010
    ^

trollseverywhere.gif

Yes I disagree with your liberal pseudo science so im a troll.:rolleyes:
  • edited September 2010
    Yes I disagree with your liberal pseudo science so im a troll.:rolleyes:

You're either a troll or an ignoramus.
    edited September 2010
    You're either a troll or an ignoramus.

Dude it's been proven time and time again that's its a myth. I'm not saying theres no climate change at all but it's not humans causing it.
  • edited September 2010
    Dude it's been proven time and time again that's its a myth. I'm not saying theres no climate change at all but it's not humans causing it.

http://royalsociety.org/Facts-and-fictions-about-climate-change/

I implore you to do some reading and get your facts straight. There is an extremely detailed PDF file explaining and dispelling twelve of the most popular lies and misrepresentations about climate change.

EDIT: Also, the Royal Society is one of the oldest, most respected and prestigious scientific organizations in the world.
    edited September 2010
    http://royalsociety.org/Facts-and-fictions-about-climate-change/

I implore you to do some reading and get your facts straight. There is an extremely detailed PDF file explaining and dispelling twelve of the most popular lies and misrepresentations about climate change.

EDIT: Also, the Royal Society is one of the oldest, most respected and prestigious scientific organizations in the world.

Can't you at least acknowledge that Climate change is normal and It isn't necessarily human's causing it.
  • edited September 2010
    Can't you at least acknowledge that Climate change is normal and It isn't necessarily human's causing it.

You haven't read the link.

Once you understand the details, it's easier to step around the bullshit.
  • FONFON Regular
    edited September 2010

Already this guy is doubting his 'human actions have no repercussions on our climate' argument.

And lol at a couple of unofficial sites stinking of propaganda and fox news being cited as sources. Does this guy even know how to use teh internets?