I wish there was a magical way to do this.

DfgDfg Admin
edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I sure most of you already know about this or kinda get the feeling. People or in this case users assume that once you have created a forum all the Internet will just stop and everyone will join in. I am usually not worried about this approach but some times I wish people would just think for a while.

Read Vizier comment.
http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=137068
Both totse.info and zoklet have failed in their own ways.

Here is the problem. I believe its lack of communication between users. IMO Totse hasn't failed, yes I know we're behind things and there is an element of FAIL somewhere but you're really not seeing the bigger picture. Forums don't magically get famous or get tons of users unless they're handing out CP left and right.

At any given time there is some new forum trying to make a name for itself and since it's been two years the old Totse user base has just vanished or moved on. So, it's next to impossible to get users here.

I have said it before, the only reason Zoklet was/is active is because of one simple mention. It got a flood of users who were fresh and hurt. So, they quickly started flexing their muscles and started doing things. Although they lacked direction but there were numbers of users contributing and sticking around.

When we moved to Totse in July 2010 we did the same thing but the user we got were worn out and stuck in a pattern. Which made it harder to get them to do the same thing for Totse. So, what happened was, when the time came to really work users just went back for a while because Totse.info didn't have much traffic. So, instead of helping us out they just left.

Now, I don't blame them because I knew this would happen but honestly you guys can't blame Totse for this. The only reason we're still alive and doing pretty well is because some great users who devoted their time and didn't let go. They fought and made it work.

Forums like Totse are hard to find, what we're creating here is something which has never been done before in Totse history. We have plans, BIG fucking plans for this. So, please don't call this effort a failure. IMHO you're the failed component that left us hanging [not talking about Vizier btw, it's a general statement].

If only you guys didn't care about the traffic and fought your way here. We missed some great opportunities because some key regulars held themselves back. I mean Zoklet got famous for one thing in LOL, Internet. Totse has been famous on number of occasions and we will be famous. We already have a web on Twitter and we're slowly making our moves.

I agree that we're a bit held back because of hosting issues but that's just temporary.

Btw if you check our stats in just few months we have contributed tons of information on this forum. Even Zoklet can't match that when viewed from month to month basis.

Look at Totse from this angle, Zoklet got users on Jan 17th 2009, We got them on July 6th 2010. Zoklet got users in 1000s and we only got them in few hundreds.

Zoklet didn't do anything in next 2 months, it was mess and everyone was just clueless. Totse got everything in check in 72 hours. We got a working forum in 3 days and after 3 months we have everything worked out except for the CMS.

And unlike Zoklet we actually made a name for ourselves on various platforms. We launched some minor and major projects in the background and they're still in progress. We have a dedicated Reddit called Totse, We have a dedicated twitter, twit cam,Facebook. We even have shows planned.

The fact is we're more focused than any forum. The chances of us getting famous increase everyday, because we're always getting Totse name out. We have users making images for Totse, we have a user base who tags Totse everywhere.

We even have a working partnership with blogs. And we're always trying to find new ways to get Totse in the media and instead of idle talking we actually go through it. So, don't judge us from a traffic perspective and even if you do, I can tell you that for a site without a working CMS main page and just a forum with limited users, we're actually doing amazingly well.

Most of the guests we get, register and start contributing.

In short, guys there is no magical way to get things rolling. On the Internet it takes time, effort and some creative thinking. Atm we're competing with various forums, blogs and website for traffic. Zoklet isn't even our competition anymore. Sure it has regular Totse users but they're still static. From day one the aim was to unite Totse users and BRING IN NEW MEMBERS!

We're focusing on the new member part atm. Because we already know that some users prefer others to do the hard work and then just join in and start being active again. There is nothing wrong with that approach but honestly it would be respectable if you just stuck around and helped out.

In the end, hear this people. Totse.info will not be a FAIL site. If you think we have exhausted our creative ideas box, you're dead wrong. We're only stalling things because we're working on the main component. Stability. The amount of traffic Totse can pull in can and will take down our host easily. We tested this with Reddit linking. I want to make sure that whatever happens we stay online because there is no point in marketing when the site can't handle the load.

I am not saying that will just die down if 1000 users visited it, I am talking about 10,000 users. That could potentially DDoS us easily.

TL;DR: Instead of leaving us hanging, just help us out.

Comments

• HTS-NoobHTS-Noob Regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll help out. I'll post. I'll do my thing like I've done it since '06. But honestly, I don't know whether how hard you're trying is helping or hindering totse's development.

It started off nice. Like a warm, community feeling of 'we can do it'. It's devolved into a handful of users stroking each others cocks and shouting WE CAN DUZ IT like a fucking down syndrome orgy.

That's my take on it. I'm not sure if new users seeing this shit will want to stay. You seem straight up DESPERATE.
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited September 2010
    HTS-Noob wrote: »
    I'll help out. I'll post. I'll do my thing like I've done it since '06. But honestly, I don't know whether how hard you're trying is helping or hindering totse's development.

It started off nice. Like a warm, community feeling of 'we can do it'. It's devolved into a handful of users stroking each others cocks and shouting WE CAN DUZ IT like a fucking down syndrome orgy.

That's my take on it. I'm not sure if new users seeing this shit will want to stay. You seem straight up DESPERATE.

I totally agree.

It's admirable the amount of effort you are willing to put into this place, and your determination to see it become a success, but at times it's as if you're trying overly hard.

In some areas you've practically taken over forums with masses of content, which quite frankly isn't that interesting. People don't like to see a busybody taking over shit, and when they see one overly keen user plastered over the place, it'll give them a bad impression of the place.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    HTS-Noob wrote: »

Well, at this point we can't really sit back and just chill. New users come for content they stick around if they like something. We're close knit community at this stage and you're bound to see some unintentional cock sucking [lol]. I have moved some crucial areas away from public eyes.

The visitors just see a community with lots of contributing users. All the planning is tucked away in Totse HQ.

But I agree with you at some level. There is really nothing I can do about it in short run.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    da teacha wrote: »
    I totally agree.

It's admirable the amount of effort you are willing to put into this place, and your determination to see it become a success, but at times it's as if you're trying overly hard.

In some areas you've practically taken over forums with masses of content, which quite frankly isn't that interesting. People don't like to see a busybody taking over shit, and when they see one overly keen user plastered over the place, it'll give them a bad impression of the place.

I actually am I trying to limit my posting in some section especially in Moving Pictures. But each thread I create I link it to various places. It's not just a threbut a complete blog posts with links to resources and everything. Like I said before, I am good at bringing traffic and knitting a web. I know it seems desperate to have tons of content here and there but it will only serve us in the long run. As these threads get old and get archived users looking for movies or some sort of information will get linked to Totse.

So, even though it seems I am posting tons of content, I am just ensuring that when some major event happens we would have links in plenty of places. Remember we're running against the clock here. The sooner we get rolling the better. That's the only reason I am being aggressive in certain sections.

But once the main page is up, everything will be balanced out :). I am just keeping Totse name active and building a huge inventory that will keep us in Google eyes as we work on other things.

It's a complicated process and if more users will contribute all the time, my minor contributions wont seem to bad. The real problem is the time limit. As soon as anything new comes up, I have to make a thread about it in 15 or less minutes otherwise we miss the opportunity. This applies to any major event.

I am trying to remove the desperation element which actually isn't there but there are just handful of power contributors and that just kind of enforces it and makes it apparent to regulars.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited September 2010
    da teacha wrote: »
    I totally agree.

Then post something more captivating, something that's more suited to your quality control.
    I've seen some of your threads pull in a few responses from users. It'd be good to see you keep doing whatever you're doing.:cool:
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited September 2010
    I know it sounds like we're talking out of our asses saying this site will pick up and go somewhere, but I actually do believe it will. A lot of people have a passion for this place, or what it used to be. The idea of Totse must be pretty strong if this place exists and people are still trying to help it. I mean who would have thought that Jeff Hunters' (and friends) idea could have manifested itself into this? Its been over a year since Totse died and yet it still lives on in many shapes and forms. Zoklet, Totse2, modrs, 'others' and now Totse.info. If an idea can hang on for that long, there must be something worth fighting for in it, right :confused:

I'm trying to promote this site in my own way. My ideas are not as steady and reliable as Dfgs are, because they're more like one off publicity stunts that have a high rate of failure, but its worth a shot.
  • edited September 2010
    Anyone who loves this site is probably promoting it in every way they can. I've been linking to it, helping Dfg's crazy plans, writing on every single bit of money I own etc.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited September 2010
    it will get better. its only been three months or so. a grand site like totse is something that has to be built up over at least a year
  • McSkluvinMcSkluvin Regular
    edited September 2010
    What's with all the mini-paragraphs? :mad:

And assuming this place has failed is like calling a tree that just sprouted weak. :mad:

Give it time, it will grow..... :o
  • Habaner0Habaner0 Regular
    edited September 2010
    Personally, I think that right now with the place as small as it is, we should do like Zoklet did and condense the forums a little. At least do something like a few main boards and then subforums. It's a little much to scroll around in and is one of the reasons I never hung around here much.

That said, I do like the attitude here, how people try and contribute. I can't do much, but I'm going to make an effort to do what I can. :) I think the aforementioned attitude is what separates us from Zoklet.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited September 2010
    I love this place.
    edited September 2010
    Habaner0 wrote: »
    Personally, I think that right now with the place as small as it is, we should do like Zoklet did and condense the forums a little. At least do something like a few main boards and then subforums. It's a little much to scroll around in and is one of the reasons I never hung around here much.

That said, I do like the attitude here, how people try and contribute. I can't do much, but I'm going to make an effort to do what I can. :) I think the aforementioned attitude is what separates us from Zoklet.
    You're already contributing. You registered, you post and you are giving suggestions.:cool:
  • ScuDScuD Regular
    edited September 2010
    i love it here. i am a brand new user, i knew of the original Totse through a good friend of mine, and he showed me some good threads. but i was never an active member of the original community. i just like it here, and i believe in what Totse represents: freedom of speech. The authorities are gaining more and more power over what we speak about all the time through TVs magazines advertising and the internet too. Totse and sites like it are IMPORTANT. This site as it is visually and otherwise, really is the true spiritual successor to the original Totse.

Maybe someone seems desperate, but why shouldn't we work desperately to achieve what we want.

Nothing in the world was ever free. but the internet has given us something, free information, free power, and what’s more important is that we have seen the will to share it in places like Totse. People say that the world is getting smaller every day, but the truth is that it’s becoming bigger and more inaccessible all the time. It’s not what you know, it’s who you know, and in a world like this a place like Totse, is way for all of us to level the playing field.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm actually really surprised with how far we've grown already. I wouldn't have spent as much time posting here as I have if I thought this place was gonna fail. You also have to remember that were actually making a real effort to grow which a lot of forums cant say. I can guarantee you the original totse wasn't massive in its first few months. We've already surpassed totse2 we'll surpass zoklet to eventually. In content we already do.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    This place is amazing. I'm new here, never been on the old TOTSE, and I just want to hug everybody all day <3

Dfg is doing a great job leading his camels, so I guess I'll be sucking his cock for a long, long time :o
  • McSkluvinMcSkluvin Regular
    edited September 2010
    Like Dfg said, Zoklet started with 2000-3000 members within 2 months from Totse's closing alone and we started with a few hundred or so. We have come exceptionally far from the point that we started and if we making the right moves we will become bigger and better than Zoklet will ever be.

Yeah and Zoklet got that many new members so fast only because &T closed, we don't have that option. But &T had to start somewhere too, and they started back when advertising and gathering new members wasn't as easy since there weren't as many ways to share information. There's more ways to advertise than just posting pictures in places...... :o
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    This place is amazing. I'm new here, never been on the old TOTSE, and I just want to hug everybody all day <3

Dfg is doing a great job leading his camels, so I guess I'll be sucking his cock for a long, long time :o

Hush, don't say that a lot. I don't want others taking you away from me. [yes homo]

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and comments. You really motivate me to do more for Totse. <3 you guys.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    This place has been open for 2 months and a couple weeks. We're almost to 1000 members. Obviously recruiting people takes time. People forgot about totse, went to zoklet, or moved on to other sites. The more we get the word out, the more people will come to totse.

I think people need to be patient and realize that forums don't get huge overnight. Hopefully the front page will be fixed within a month, and then we'll see more traffic.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited September 2010
    We need drama, trolls and of the same liking.

That's what make Zoklet thrive as well.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »

Unneccessary drama doesn't really feel attractive. If you want to create drama try targeting some thing or someone :). Check the prank calling thread.
    edited September 2010
    You wanna start some drama?

Here, let's start some: http://totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?p=70418#post70418
    edited September 2010
    Totse wasn't about drama. It was about pranks, hijinks (lol at that word), hijacking, hacking, bombs, guns, violence, sex, and information. We should get attention by hacking road signs or burning a koran.
  • edited September 2010
    We should get attention by hacking road signs or burning a korean.

Fixed.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Totse wasn't about drama. It was about pranks, hijinks (lol at that word), hijacking, hacking, bombs, guns, violence, sex, and information. We should get attention by hacking road signs or burning a koran.
    trx100 wrote: »
    Fixed.

^This, but please no South Korean women.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    Here's your flood of users for ya. Convince the people at wikipedia to let us put the link there, and people will start coming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:TOTSE
    edited September 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »

I agree. I find the fighting over at Zoklet hilarious, just because they get so worked up over such trivial things. Here, everyone is quite

Mini-Posters-Winnie-the-Pooh---Rainbow-hug-72924.jpg

We need some of those annoying posters that you wish were never here. The type you come to hate, but love just because they oppose everything, thus creating conversation ;)
    Here's your flood of users for ya. Convince the people at wikipedia to let us put the link there, and people will start coming.

We just need a credible source. Totse needs to get mentioned in a newspaper, or somewhere public.
    edited September 2010
    ^^ All we need to do is convince spectral and DaGuru to come over here and we'll have plenty.:o
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited September 2010
    Skittles wrote: »
    I agree. I find the fighting over at Zoklet hilarious, just because they get so worked up over such trivial things. Here, everyone is quite

We need some of those annoying posters that you wish were never here. The type you come to hate, but love just because they oppose everything, thus creating conversation ;)

Exactly. Everyone's so soft around here. Nice job guys! Keep up the good work! Where's the flaming, the rudeness, the stupidity? As dumb as it may seem, they are essential to a community, sparking up debates, drama, fresh content and just livelihood.

But just like everything, an excess of it will kill everything, and that's why we're here for, to prevent it from going any further than intentioned to.
    edited September 2010

We should all comment on this until they recognize our existence :thumbsup:
    edited September 2010
    bornkiller wrote: »
    We should all comment on this until they recognize our existence :thumbsup:

...or lock the Wiki completely :o
    edited September 2010
    ...or lock the Wiki completely :o
    Or edit our details into the original totse page.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totse :o
    edited September 2010
    Or edit our details into the original totse page.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totse :o

I tired doing this and no matter how subtle I made it the references were removed within 5 minutes. They even threatened to IP ban me from editing in the future:angry:
    edited September 2010
    I tired doing this and no matter how subtle I made it the references were removed within 5 minutes. They even threatened to IP ban me from editing in the future:angry:

You need to have a credible source for pretty much everything. They're bloody nazis over there. If you try to change it too much they either lock editing it to only approved people or moderate every change :angry:
    edited September 2010
    You need to have a credible source for pretty much everything. They're bloody nazis over there. If you try to change it too much they either lock editing it to only approved people or moderate every change :angry:
    What I don't understand is, what do they define as a credible source? :(
    edited September 2010
    What I don't understand is, what do they define as a credible source? :(

Like they need it to be in a newspaper or a well known website or something. Taking your word for it doesn't really cut it.
    edited September 2010
    If we could get the 'totse.com' we wouldn't have to worry about anything :p
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    If we could get the 'totse.com' we wouldn't have to worry about anything :p

Does anyone here know who actually own the rights to that domain? Still Jeff I'm guessing?
    edited September 2010
    Jeff owns them til December I think.
    edited September 2010

We just need a credible source. Totse needs to get mentioned in a newspaper, or somewhere public.

Yeah I wouldn't mind some flaming it's just as a mod I try to limit being a prick to people as much as I can.
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I wouldn't mind some flaming it's just as a mod I try to limit being a prick to people as much as I can.

This. Although on totse a lot of the mods were douches. I think at this point we need to focus more on content rather than ridiculing users.
    edited September 2010
    ^^ Agreed I try to find that balance between niceness content and being a dick to people.
    edited September 2010
    STFU Acolyte is obligatory though :D
    edited September 2010
    That goes without saying, man :)
    edited September 2010
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited September 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Jeff owns them til December I think.

Jeff is going to keep renewing it.
    edited September 2010
    vozhde wrote: »
    Jeff is going to keep renewing it.
    Nope! Jeffs already offered it to Hellish. He's given him first shot @ it
    edited September 2010
    Nope! Jeffs already offered it to Hellish. He's given him first shot @ it

Wtf u talkin about?
  • ScuDScuD Regular
    edited September 2010
    people who oppose the common flow of ideas create conversation. i'm pretty sure i talked about this when i first got here, in one of methmaticians lulzy threads. wich was one of the most active threads i have seen on the site. it takes all kinds, even the assholes. im kind of an asshole. but thats just because i laugh at earth quakes and shit. when the towers fell i loled pretty hard. im not sick or anything. the world is just funny.

ARE WE GOING TO BECOME TOTSE.COM IN DECEMBER??? SOMEONE CONFIRM. ALSO, GET THE SCIENTIST'S WORKING ON THE TUBE TECHNOLOGY.
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited September 2010
    ScuD wrote: »
    people who oppose the common flow of ideas create conversation. i'm pretty sure i talked about this when i first got here, in one :mad:lulzy threads. wich was one of the most active threads i have seen on the site. it takes all kinds, even the assholes. im kind of an asshole. but thats just because i laugh at earth quakes and shit. when the towers fell i loled pretty hard. im not sick or anything. the world is just funny.

ARE WE GOING TO BECOME TOTSE.COM IN DECEMBER??? SOMEONE CONFIRM. ALSO, GET THE SCIENTIST'S WORKING ON THE TUBE TECHNOLOGY.

huhwut? amidreaming? efoefin:(