7 Strings

Stoned CrowStoned Crow Semo-Regulars
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Hallo there. I'm in a metal band and recently I have bought an Ibanez 7 string.

At first I just went through and learned all of those Drop A dethcore bands, but obviously that got very boring very fast. And because I don't want to waste my money that I invested here, do you guys of &T have any suggestions for what I could do with my seven string that would keep me entertained and help my playing improve?

Btw, I tuned it up into C standard and it plays amazingly :p

Comments

• GrenGren Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    C standard? So with a high F? That's EXACTLY what I was going to do when I was going to get an ibby 7 haha. What model do you have?
    If you're in C standard I can recommend Suffocation (Effigy of the Forgotten album), Akercocke, Electric Wizard, Kyuss (i think), Gorguts.

Some famous 7ers I can think of are Emperor, Meshuggah, Morbid Angel, Dream Theatre, Fear Factory. Just a stab at what you may be into but yeah hope that helps.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    Drop B will let you play Carcass, RATM (Maggie's Farm), and Dream Theater.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    Why don't you just tune to D and use a capo! you're gonna break strings like that if you ever bend, tightly tuned guitars are a bitch for that.

I donno who uses 7 strings, other than ones mentioned in here already. Slipknot does sometimes...a lot of grindcore bands do.
  • GrenGren Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Why don't you just tune to D and use a capo! you're gonna break strings like that if you ever bend, tightly tuned guitars are a bitch for that.

I donno who uses 7 strings, other than ones mentioned in here already. Slipknot does sometimes...a lot of grindcore bands do.

Thinner gauge strings = problem solved. I've seen a dude jam an 8 string with a high A!
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    That works. It undoubtedly still has a way nicer sound that drop C and keeps the same range (well possesses better range).