Tor-tse project. A proposal for an 'underground' Totse.

da teachada teacha Regular
edited October 2010 in Spurious Generalities
The most interesting content, is that which we probably can't safely post in the open.

An underground section of the site, where we'd be able to post in true anonymity, would unlock many doors; giving way to extremely useful content.

A while ago, I had a flash drive totally dedicated to anonymous browsing. I wasn't entirely sure whether it worked effectively, but I'm sure if we plugged our minds together, we could have a dedicated guide to keeping anonymous, and could use that to stay safe when posting fringe content.

Tor would be the ideal place to host such a site imo, as it provides better performance than other competitors such as Freenet. Additionally, word of a Totse on the Tor network would definitely attract some of the Tor browsers who linger on the network; some of whom are probably interesting people with thigns to contribute.

Furthermore, Totse's presence on Tor would mean the network as a whole could benefit in performance and effectiveness as more people are providing their connections.

http://totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=2546

Anybody here knowledgable about web anonymity, or the Tor network in particular? I personally think we could put together an interesting project which could add another dimension to the site here.

Due to Tor's slow speed, it would also give us an excuse to revive the ole Web 1.0 days and keep things as minimal as possible. Maybe even resurrect the old black and blue Totse layout and be a flagship website for the entire Tor network?

Comments

• KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    Why not just make a hidden BI forum? Pm a mod for the password, and if your a newfag keep out. You'll also need to have like 50 posts in BI too. This could entice people to stay and become reputable posters.
  • edited September 2014
    To give examples <a href="http://www.forskolinfreetoday.com/forskolin-and-7-keto">best forskolin and 7 keto</a> been overweight for <a href="http://www.forskolinfreetoday.com/20-forskolin">20 forskolin on forskolinfreetoday.com</a> Suppressing and Dr Oz recommended them <a href="http://www.forskolinfreetoday.com/forskolin-dosage-bodybuilding">forskolin dosage bodybuilding on forskolinfreetoday.com</a> Most of the people look on his weight lose for women <a href="http://www.forskolinfreetoday.com/forskolin-125mg-burn-fat">forskolinfreetoday.com forskolin 125mg burn fat</a> consideration that burn off the fat <a href="http://www.forskolinfreetoday.com/forskolin-wiki">forskolin wiki from forskolinfreetoday.com</a> fact. <a href="http://www.forskolinfreetoday.com/what-is-forskolin">what is forskolin on forskolinfreetoday.com</a> Everyone is different. <a href="http://www.forskolinfreetoday.com/coleus-forskohlii-forskolin">coleus forskohlii forskolin</a> Dont 'Xumba' get on the youtoob and reason behind sweet <a href="http://www.forskolinfreetoday.com/forskohlii-wiki">forskohlii wiki on forskolinfreetoday.com</a> This product is <a href="http://www.forskolinfreetoday.com/where-to-buy-forskolin-125-mg">where to buy forskolin 125 mg forskolinfreetoday.com</a> cream do contain .
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited September 2010
    Why not just make a hidden BI forum? Pm a mod for the password, and if your a newfag keep out. You'll also need to have like 50 posts in BI too. This could entice people to stay and become reputable posters.

1. Because the BI posters will post in the hidden forum, at the expense of the visible forum, which will look dead.

2. 50 posts doesn't mean the difference between an idiot or a knowledgable poster. Accessing a Tor forum however will weed out the trolls and idiots looking for a quick bit of fun.

3. Doesn't guarentee anonymity. Also means illegal content is hosted on the main forum, which brings unwanted fed attention.

4. THE TOR USERS!!! They are scattered about and would welcome new people on the network. At the same time, we welcome new members in our community. We could draw in some extremely interesting charecters to spice this place up.

5. A hidden forum is still subject to the bloated faggotry of this forum software. A barebones old-skool style on the tor network would possibly be attractive for those who were part of the good ole days.
    edited September 2010
    da teacha wrote: »
    1. Because the BI posters will post in the hidden forum, at the expense of the visible forum, which will look dead.

See, this is why I posted that suggestion. To get someone to point that out. The same thing will happen if we implement a tor forum. Nobody will post in BI.

What's wrong with posting publicly in BI? So long as you don't use your username or password for anything else, the feds can't get you. Sure, they have your IP, but unless you want to kill the president or are a suspected serial killer, they won't do anything.

If you're concerned about anonymity, just use a proxy such as hidemyass. With adblock element hider, you can hide the big ad bar they put atop every page.
    edited September 2010
    See, this is why I posted that suggestion. To get someone to point that out. The same thing will happen if we implement a tor forum. Nobody will post in BI.

What's wrong with posting publicly in BI? So long as you don't use your username or password for anything else, the feds can't get you. Sure, they have your IP, but unless you want to kill the president or are a suspected serial killer, they won't do anything.

If you're concerned about anonymity, just use a proxy such as hidemyass. With adblock element hider, you can hide the big ad bar they put atop every page.

But Tor is slow and takes effort to set up. Only those who have a real need for anonymity will utilise such an area.

And the most interesting posters will have a need to stay anonymous, or they will think they have a need to stay anonymous.

We need to be targetting users from the fringes of society, not attracting college fagboys who think 4chan is edgy. Getting on the Tor network will undoubtedly steer us in the right direction.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    da teacha wrote: »
    But Tor is slow and takes effort to set up. Only those who have a real need for anonymity will utilise such an area.

And the most interesting posters will have a need to stay anonymous, or they will think they have a need to stay anonymous.

We need to be targetting users from the fringes of society, not attracting college fagboys who think 4chan is edgy. Getting on the Tor network will undoubtedly steer us in the right direction.

I got to ask this, define right direction. I am seeing numerous threads from you and I honestly don't know what you're trying to do. What do you want Totse to be in a year time?
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    He wants a place for faggy discussion of planning murders and EPIC events that will never happen.

If you're worried about privacy, use a proxy. No one is going to give out IPs here without a court order, and we aren't going to get any of those issued against us unless fucking morons talk about planning murders on a public forum.

I can sort of see the desire for having a totally anonymous forum. Instead of doing that, just use tor/jap/proxys in general or whatever you want to post in BI. Voila. No hidden forum required.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    He wants a place for faggy discussion of planning murders and EPIC events that will never happen.

If you're worried about privacy, use a proxy. No one is going to give out IPs here without a court order, and we aren't going to get any of those issued against us unless fucking morons talk about planning murders on a public forum.

I can sort of see the desire for having a totally anonymous forum. Instead of doing that, just use tor/jap/proxys in general or whatever you want to post in BI. Voila. No hidden forum required.

^This, also you're already fucked if you're living in America :). Also, we don't plan or intend to rat any out. Just use common sense and no will bother you. Hell, I post about bombing things here and there and even on public channels. No one gives a fuck.
    edited September 2010
    Or post from a starbucks.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2010
    The Admin may not be willing to host something like this. It could get a lot of people in a lot of trouble.

There are already things like freenet that allow you to post websites and create mailing lists anonymously and securely. freenet is more suited for what you want to do as its decentralised .

It's super easy to set up.

http://freenetproject.org/

EDIT: The OP already mentioned freenet. Didn't read it fully.
    edited September 2010
    ^^ Who the hell are you?
    edited September 2010
    ^^^^ I don't get it. I"m whoever you want me to be? huh?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010

My secret lover?
    edited September 2010

I haven't seen you post much here either.
    edited September 2010
    I post when i have something to say. Not a day goes by where i don't check out these forums. I mod the *nix forum.

Have i committed some kind of faux pas? Am i not allowed to talk to anyone with a >1000 post count? I don't understand the tone here. Is this hostility?
  • stresstres Regular
    edited September 2010
    i thought a mod had a username change :confused:
    sup dood ;)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    I post when i have something to say. Not a day goes by where i don't check out these forums. I mod the *nix forum.

Have i committed some kind of faux pas? Am i not allowed to talk to anyone with a >1000 post count? I don't understand the tone here. Is this hostility?

No just everyone missed you <3.
  • edited September 2010
    I've known him from day one :D He was the guy with the funny username.
    edited September 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    I've known him from day one :D He was the guy with the funny username.

This. It's just you don't post that often in this section, so it's a surprise. Not a bad thing at all.
    edited October 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »

I didn't have planning murders in mind, but nonetheless, it'd be quite fascinating to read if somebody was crazy enough to discuss such things.

People do things which can't be said in public. People generally like to talk about the bad things they've done, but refrain from doing so due to fear of being caught. Dealing, stealing, fraud, hooliganism, etc are all great to read about, and we should welcome such people who have something to say about the aforementioned.

Provide a place where people can talk safely, without fear of detection, and you'll see some very interesting topics popping up imo.

What do you envision for this site then? A place where we can argue what's the best OS? Have copypasta guides on how to install Ubuntu? Where's the fucking direction for this place?

Failing this, Freenet is also worth looking at. Though admitedly I'm not too clued up on how things roll there.
    edited October 2010
    We're moving to a new host and getting the code fixed (Thanks Clover!) and then we're going to concentrate on getting new members. New members will post new content and help us spread totse. It's a web forum. We're here to post shit.

Yeah, I see the appeal of an anonymous BI, but then other sections will want to be anonymous, and then we'll be 4chan. Use a proxy to hide your IP. Voila. You're anonymous. If you use a proxy, no one is going to be able to track you. The only people with access to IPs are mods. We aren't giving out shit without a court order, and that's not going to happen.

That being said, no one who commits real crimes is going to be posting on an internet forum filled with teenagers.