Counterstrike

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited November 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I just got it off steam and it's my first time playing this. It's fun as hell but Im getting my ass kicked horribly. These fuckers keep head-shotting me. Im even dieing before I have time to select my weapon. Any tips for a noob?:o:o Also in this thread discuss counterstrike in general:mad:

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited October 2010
    CS 1.6 or CSS?
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    1.6 and I have a feeling it's asians like you killing me:mad::mad:
    edited October 2010
    Guilty :o

As for tips, it's mostly gaming common sense.

Practice makes perfect.
    Keep moving.
    Crouch whenever possible.
    Always buy full body armour.
    Fire in bursts.
    If you see a grenade, turn the other way immediately.
    Jump around especially in close-range combat (I beat a group of 4 gimps this way :o)

You'll get better as you play more. If you're dying too fast, find a different server. Can't learn if you don't get to play :p
    edited October 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Guilty :o

As for tips, it's mostly gaming common sense.

Practice makes perfect.
    Keep moving.
    Fire in bursts.
    Jump around especially in close-range combat (I beat a group of 4 gimps this way :o)

You'll get better as you play more. If you're dying too fast, find a different server. Can't learn if you don't get to play :p

Thanks I'm actually surprised how many people still play it being as old as it is but its p[pretty badass actually.

EDIT: Also what does it mean when it says Ive been kicked because my ping is too high.
    edited October 2010
    Yeah there's just something about it that still appeals to people. I don't play very much now, but once in awhile, I just pop in to satisfy my bloodthirst :D

I like deathmatch servers the most. Get to choose any guns I want and all I have to worry about is killing people and staying alive. My standard is a FAMAS and Dual Berettas :cool:
    edited October 2010
    EDIT: Also what does it mean when it says Ive been kicked because my ping is too high.

Your ping is too high :p

Just means your connection is too slow and you could slow down the server, so they kick you to prevent it from slowing down.
    edited October 2010
    It kinda makes a game like COD seem lame now because its the same thing basically with worse graphics and know spree bonuses.
    edited October 2010
    Yeh main reason I don't play fps much anymore. Same game, different name.
  • edited October 2010

Try joining a new server with a lower ping. I usually aim for servers with between 50-150 ping, but its up to you. I find that anything over that makes it really unplayable.

Also, turn off any downloads etc while playing.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited October 2010
    I just got it off steam and it's my first time playing this. It's fun as hell but Im getting my ass kicked horribly. These fuckers keep head-shotting me. Im even dieing before I have time to select my weapon. Any tips for a noob?:o:o Also in this thread discuss counterstrike in general:mad:

-In the beginning you can run out with your knife because it is faster and allows you to get additional ground. heavy guns, slower movement speed.

-when in a hot zone be conscience of possible ambushes and where the T's CT's can come from

-unless it is the beginning, always walk, don't run; people can hear your footsteps.

-in open-area 1v1 battles (where enemy is far from you and you carry a riffle), crouching makes your hitbox more concentrated and easier to headshot. Shoot players and move back and forth in the standing position

-If 1vX and sniping, try to find some cover and crouch while shooting, you will be more accurate.

-really close range 1v1 (just beyond the knife range) you can spray and strafe most of the time.

-always carry a flash bang when assaulting a room.

-always carry kits that decode bombs faster

-when shooting automatic riffles, burst 1-3 bullets at a time.

-if possible, if you need to go auto riffles, always get AK or m16.

-if possible, allways buy kevlar+head gear

-always carry a deagle (night-hawk) if you are sniping.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited October 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Practice makes perfect.
    Keep moving.
    Fire in bursts.
    Jump around especially in close-range combat (I beat a group of 4 gimps this way
    Lethargica wrote: »
    -In the beginning you can run out with your knife because it is faster and allows you to get additional ground. heavy guns, slower movement speed.

-when in a hot zone be conscience of possible ambushes and where the T's CT's can come from

-unless it is the beginning, always walk, don't run; people can hear your footsteps.

-in open-area 1v1 battles (where enemy is far from you and you carry a riffle), crouching makes your hitbox more concentrated and easier to headshot. Shoot players and move back and forth in the standing position

-If 1vX and sniping, try to find some cover and crouch while shooting, you will be more accurate.

-really close range 1v1 (just beyond the knife range) you can spray and strafe most of the time.

-always carry a flash bang when assaulting a room.

-always carry kits that decode bombs faster

-when shooting automatic riffles, burst 1-3 bullets at a time.

-if possible, if you need to go auto riffles, always get AK or m16.

-if possible, allways buy kevlar+head gear

-always carry a deagle (night-hawk) if you are sniping.

i personally find that crouching is a pretty crappy thing to do, unless you either plan on winning an encounter, or dying, or at super long distances.

i do agree that full body armor is important. usually, if i cant afford the helmet, i dont bother with it at all

at super close range, yes, spray and jump like a madman

-usually, i dont bother with a pistol at all. the default ones are alright, though it is important to practise with them. they have low recoil and at close range, you can score headshots if you put lots of rounds into the enemy's shoulders
    -another thing i like to do is keep the crosshair at the head level.
    -use the q button for "switch to previous weapon" its easier to reach than the numbers. usually i keep a grenade in that slot. you can also tap it twice to cancel a reload if needed
  • OndOnd Semo-Regulars
    edited October 2010
    Post your usernames people. Let's play.
  • BigBroBigBro Regular
    edited October 2010
    My playing style is somewhat awkward. As soon as I encounter an opponent, I instantly (see: reflexively) crouch and fire.
    Never, ever spray.
    Make sure you get used to the aiming and recoil system.
    If you can't see where you're being shot from, don't worry about it, just get away. Chances are you're dead anyway.
    Dieing is easy. Prepare for it, and often.
    If you're rollin' solo, a silencer won't hurt, y'know (provided your weapon has one)? It'll increase the size of your crosshair and it increases your recoil, but not being heard has it's advantages, especially since no-one bothers with silencers (or strategy) anymore.
    If you're in a team of bros, get a private voice chat going through vent or steam chat. Just don't use CS's voice chat, or everyone will hear you.

And remember.
    Not a single one of these ideas will help you in the game. You'll see what I mean.
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited November 2010
    Fuck, it's been yonks since I last gave CS a spin.

Open a single player server and stand next to a wall, practicing firing M4 and AK47. When you shoot, you have to drag your mouse down. Look at the bullet holes you make in the wall and adjust your recoil control accordingly.

Join a 'deatmatch' server, where you respawn after you die. You get a lot more practice firing, which'll help back in normal servers.

Learn the 'chokepoints' of maps; the places where CT and T meet eachother. Watch other players, to see what positions/routes they take.

Avoid being out in the open much. Take things slowly; one step at a time, and listen out for enemy footsteps. If you run around without thinking, you're going to die.

AK47/M4A1, Deagle and AWP are the mostly used guns, pretty much everything else is shit.
  • edited November 2010
    I only play those maps where you respawn as soon as you die.

AWP is for the win, and I play like i'm posessed when i'm stoned :thumbsup: