Drinking every night

edited December 2010 in Spurious Generalities
So, I go to University, get good grades, have numerous stable relationships, exercise regularly, and do numerous positive things throughout my life. However, every night I drink. Quite a varying amount: sometimes I get drunk as fuck, other times just buzzed. But every night without fail I drink. Is this a problem?

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    So, I go to University, get good grades, have numerous stable relationships, exercise regularly, and do numerous positive things throughout my life. However, every night I drink. Quite a varying amount: sometimes I get drunk as fuck, other times just buzzed. But every night without fail I drink. Is this a problem?

It's only a problem if it negatively effects your life and responsibility's. It doesn't sound like it does so I say drink away. BTW I haven't seen you on here in a while. It's good to have you back.
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited October 2010
    If it's not a problem now, it will be in the future.
  • edited October 2010
    I know, I kind of fell out of totse for a bit. the stuff I mentioned takes much time, you see. I am very glad to be back. And it is lovely to see you, Mr. Sanchez ;P
  • edited October 2010
    Gallows wrote: »

Could you elaborate?
    edited October 2010

Not necessarily. I drink almost every night but I'm far from an alcoholic. The amount you drink doesn't mean shit. What matters is if it starts to negatively effect your life.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    Please tell me you have given cannabis a fair chance to prove itself... You sound just like me however I'm strict no alcohol but I smoke marijuana on a daily basis.. I would seriously recommend you choose the latter because habitual use will cause detriment regardless of the substance - but your a lot better off with some minor respiratory/anxiety over the illness that alcohol misuse leads to. I'm balancing my education and fitness just fine with habitual use and in many regards I find it to be a compliment.
    edited October 2010
    stres wrote: »
    Please tell me you have given cannabis a fair chance to prove itself... You sound just like me however I'm strict no alcohol but I smoke marijuana on a daily basis.. I would seriously recommend you choose the latter because habitual use will cause detriment regardless of the substance - but your a lot better off with some minor respiratory/anxiety over the illness that alcohol misuse leads to. I'm balancing my education and fitness just fine with habitual use and in many regards I find it to be a compliment.

The funny thing is I found weed negatively impacted me more than alcohol. I still smoke it but I had to drastically cut down because for awhile I became a stereotypical stoner. It for sure can be mentally addicting. I would recommend OP give it a chance though because it is completely harmless except for making you lazier.
  • edited October 2010

Once upon a time, I smoked pot every single day. After about a year, I began getting convulsive fits whenever I smoked it. The sudden cessation of pot actually transitioned me over to alcohol.
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited October 2010
    Not necessarily. I drink almost every night but I'm far from an alcoholic. The amount you drink doesn't mean shit. What matters is if it starts to negatively effect your life.

I think he means more physical damage.

I personally agree with you though. To me, quality of life comes first but I can't imagine that drinking that much could be good for your body in the long run.
  • edited October 2010

You bet your sweet ass it will. I established my alchoholism when I was doing resort work and taking my apprenticeship(a cooks version of college). I have romanced the bottle for 20 odd years, I make no excuses, I just love to drink. If you took every day I spent sober for the last 20 years it would add up to about 3 years.

When you drink every day you cause a chemical imbalance in your brain, more to the point, you actually change your brain. GABA receptors are essential to your normal brain function, they accept the neurotransmitter GABA which is essential to sleep patterns and regulating your nervous system and moods. When you drink, your GABA receptors are artificially filled, if you drink every day, the receptors diminish in number because they are constantly filled and your brain adapts to this by decreasing the number of receptors.

When you "dry out" the number of GABA receptors is insufficient to keep a normal balance in your brain. This can cause a bout ot the DT's, or Delirium Tremens. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens

I snorted a lot of junk for a few months, the withdrawal was itchy, nauseous, and very unpleasant. I would rather have a month of it than a day of the DT's. I have also done a lot of acid, but the only time I have really hallucinated is during a bout ot the DT's. I saw a line of shadowy toy soldiers marching across the top of a bookcase. The dreams were horrible, and eventually I went to the hospital and got some benzo's, the only thing that will keep the sickness down.

I took the time to write this because you have a weakness you may perceive as a strength. You are a functional alcoholic, you have some balls. You get out of bed regardless of how shitty you feel, or maybe you don't even feel shitty. I can toss my last beer can into the garbage behind work, chew some gum, and no-one will know I just pulled an all nighter unless I tell them. I have a massive tolerance and when I had to be put under anesthesia to get a gall stone removed, I woke up halfway through because my enlarged liver processed the anesthetic faster than they could safely administer it, and that my friend, is fucking unpleasant.

Consider carefully what you do tomorrow night.
    C/O
    "scare tactics, the last refuge of scoundrel"
  • Tiny_Penis : (Tiny_Penis : ( Regular
    edited October 2010
    You bet your sweet ass it will. I established my alchoholism when I was doing resort work and taking my apprenticeship(a cooks version of college). I have romanced the bottle for 20 odd years, I make no excuses, I just love to drink. If you took every day I spent sober for the last 20 years it would add up to about 3 years.

When you drink every day you cause a chemical imbalance in your brain, more to the point, you actually change your brain. GABA receptors are essential to your normal brain function, they accept the neurotransmitter GABA which is essential to sleep patterns and regulating your nervous system and moods. When you drink, your GABA receptors are artificially filled, if you drink every day, the receptors diminish in number because they are constantly filled and your brain adapts to this by decreasing the number of receptors.

When you "dry out" the number of GABA receptors is insufficient to keep a normal balance in your brain. This can cause a bout ot the DT's, or Delirium Tremens. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens

I snorted a lot of junk for a few months, the withdrawal was itchy, nauseous, and very unpleasant. I would rather have a month of it than a day of the DT's. I have also done a lot of acid, but the only time I have really hallucinated is during a bout ot the DT's. I saw a line of shadowy toy soldiers marching across the top of a bookcase. The dreams were horrible, and eventually I went to the hospital and got some benzo's, the only thing that will keep the sickness down.

I took the time to write this because you have a weakness you may perceive as a strength. You are a functional alcoholic, you have some balls. You get out of bed regardless of how shitty you feel, or maybe you don't even feel shitty. I can toss my last beer can into the garbage behind work, chew some gum, and no-one will know I just pulled an all nighter unless I tell them. I have a massive tolerance and when I had to be put under anesthesia to get a gall stone removed, I woke up halfway through because my enlarged liver processed the anesthetic faster than they could safely administer it, and that my friend, is fucking unpleasant.

C/O

This was fucking deep. I enjoyed reading it.
  • edited October 2010

C/O

This, exactly. C/O knows what he's talking about, surprisingly enough. Everything in moderation...
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010
    I was the same way for a while. I exercised, had a 4.0 in college, worked and was social but I got drunk probably 5-6 nights a week. For the past few years my use has varied, drinking 4 nights a week or going without for a few days or weeks, but I still drink too much I'm sure. College basically makes you into an alcoholic if you let it. Addiction doesn't mean you're a slobbering mess who wakes up in a ditch every night. A lot of people are functional alcoholics.

I have several suggestions for you:

1. Try not drinking alone.
    For the past 2 years or so I've tended to drink alone at night. I much prefer drinking with friends, but I'll have a few drinks at night. Avoiding drinking alone will probably cut down your use some, but it might just make you into a bigger partier.

2. Buy more expensive booze.
    Don't drink the cheap shit. If you limit yourself to nice alcohol you'll probably end up drinking less of it as it's more expensive and money will be an issue. You'll also develop a taste for good stuff and not want to drink the cheap swill.

3. Take a week off.
    See if you can go a week without drinking. Seriously, this'll show you if you're severely addicted. If you can handle a week off, then try for two weeks.
  • edited October 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    I was the same way for a while. I exercised, had a 4.0 in college, worked and was social but I got drunk probably 5-6 nights a week. For the past few years my use has varied, drinking 4 nights a week or going without for a few days or weeks, but I still drink too much I'm sure. College basically makes you into an alcoholic if you let it. Addiction doesn't mean you're a slobbering mess who wakes up in a ditch every night. A lot of people are functional alcoholics.

For the past 2 years or so I've tended to drink alone at night. I much prefer drinking with friends, but I'll have a few drinks at night. Avoiding drinking alone will probably cut down your use some, but it might just make you into a bigger partier.

Don't drink the cheap shit. If you limit yourself to nice alcohol you'll probably end up drinking less of it as it's more expensive and money will be an issue. You'll also develop a taste for good stuff and not want to drink the cheap swill.

3. Take a week off.
    See if you can go a week without drinking. Seriously, this'll show you if you're severely addicted. If you can handle a week off, then try for two weeks.

Excellent advice! :)
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    Your last point I will testify to be a great indicator of addiction; after graduation I drank a lot of alcohol and trying to quit was harder then I anticipated; withdrawals suck too.
  • edited October 2010
    I drank a lot for a little while.

Short term, you'll be alright. Long term, it's probably not good for you, but you'll still probably be alright.
  • edited October 2010
    Well, tonight I'm gonna try having a single drink, let us see how I do!
    edited October 2010
    I think mostly I drink out of boredom. Like right now I'm home from work and bored as fuck. No one wants to go out. I don't feel like reading. I'm bored with movies. I need some new hobbies so I don't wind up getting drunk all the time :facepalm:
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited October 2010

3. Take a week off.

Ya I did that for a month and now I been on a raging fucking tare for 5 weeks now
    My boss said to me today that if I showed up drunk again he would have to put me in rehab.
    I was like WHAT??? ALL I HAD TO DO WAS Show up drunk to get into rehab?
    FUCK!! oh well what you going to do?
  • edited October 2010
    ...I drank, and honestly, I'm glad. Tonight was fabulous.
  • edited October 2010
    To elaborate: I had an excellent heart to heart with a new friend, and one of my profs e-mailed me to tell me that the book I recomended to him was excellent. I drink now in celebration. Truly, If I feel drinking is a problem, I will stop, DT or no. For today, I'm drunk and loving life. (And was loving life before I got drunk).
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    To elaborate: I had an excellent heart to heart with a new friend, and one of my profs e-mailed me to tell me that the book I recomended to him was excellent. I drink now in celebration. Truly, If I feel drinking is a problem, I will stop, DT or no. For today, I'm drunk and loving life. (And was loving life before I got drunk).

quoted for retrospect in evaluating the self-rationalizations operating in early stages of alcoholism. :hai:

- joking; you enjoy yourself dood the greatest crime of all would to be miss out on the only time in your life where you really can shit on your body and still bounce back.
  • edited October 2010
    quoted for retrospect in evaluating the self-rationalizations operating in early stages of alcoholism. :hai:

- joking; you enjoy yourself dood the greatest crime of all would to be miss out on the only time in your life where you really can shit on your body and still bounce back.

Hell yeah, just don't stay too long at the fair.
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited October 2010
    Kinda in the same boat. There's fuck all else to do some nights, so I just indulge in some drink and let things sort themselves out in the haze.

Negative effects probably are due, but fuck it tbh.
  • electric wizardelectric wizard Acolyte
    edited October 2010
    I'm in a similar situation. I drink every night, and though I feel it hasn't detracted from my value as a person, I'm beginning to realize that its holding back my potential overall. I do nothing but work full time, live at home (no one else I know is responsible enough to rely on for half-rent), and work on my car.

But, this type of existence leaves you with a sense of emptiness. My passion for things has been replaced with the desire to cope with the mundane things that occupy my life. I could attempt to trace this back to the stress of my job, or my incompatibility with my surroundings, but the fact of the matter is that I've filled every moment outside of these things (moments of opportunity to pursue those very passions) with escapism from the very things I claim to hold me back.

Its circular.

Drunk as I post this, by the way :facepalm:
    Alcoholism reaches its high point when you're 12 drinks deep on an empty stomach, and your grammar remains in tact. AHEM, OP!
  • Viper2002Viper2002 Acolyte
    edited October 2010

No I work long ours, and i drink most nights to help me sleep well, and relax, I am starting to cut back; but I dont think it's a massive issue.

Thinking of getting home lighting a cigar, pouring a drink, and sitting out on my big balcony gets me though many a shit day. Followed by banging my girl obviously... lol
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm in a similar situation. I drink every night, and though I feel it hasn't detracted from my value as a person, I'm beginning to realize that its holding back my potential overall. I do nothing but work full time, live at home (no one else I know is responsible enough to rely on for half-rent), and work on my car.

But, this type of existence leaves you with a sense of emptiness. My passion for things has been replaced with the desire to cope with the mundane things that occupy my life. I could attempt to trace this back to the stress of my job, or my incompatibility with my surroundings, but the fact of the matter is that I've filled every moment outside of these things (moments of opportunity to pursue those very passions) with escapism from the very things I claim to hold me back.

Its circular.

Drunk as I post this, by the way :facepalm:
    Alcoholism reaches its high point when you're 12 drinks deep on an empty stomach, and your grammar remains in tact. AHEM, OP!

Get into teaching English. You'd fit right in!
    edited October 2010
    Viper2002 wrote: »
    No I work long ours, and i drink most nights to help me sleep well, and relax, I am starting to cut back; but I dont think it's a massive issue.

Thinking of getting home lighting a cigar, pouring a drink, and sitting out on my big balcony gets me though many a shit day. Followed by banging my girl obviously... lol

I sat outside for a while last night smoking a cigar and drinking some decent beer while listening to some music. It's really quiet around here at night, so it's a great feeling.
  • Viper2002Viper2002 Acolyte
    edited October 2010
    I sat outside for a while last night smoking a cigar and drinking some decent beer while listening to some music. It's really quiet around here at night, so it's a great feeling.

Sounds like heaven, thats what i do after work, just sit there and smoke a cigar, and have a nice beer. I love a cigar with a cup of cofee in the morning too.
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited December 2010
    the best i did was like 5 days

ima see a doctor tomorrow
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Fuck booze...

carl-sagan-smoke-weed-everyday.jpg
  • xxombiexxombie Regular
    edited December 2010
    What a coincidence! I drink every night too! Perhaps we could share one of these nights together! Graham's gonna be gone for tomorrow and the day after, I'm gonna be lonely gimme a call.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited December 2010
    Feels good man. Guadalupe-Reyes marathon is coming up soon but I won't be able to drink through it this year :(
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited December 2010
    i dont drink every night anymore, used to. had pretty good skool grades while i did too. now i need $ to do that.
    edited December 2010
    I've cut my drinking down to 1-2 drinks and way fewer times per week. I find it's hard to break the routine. I don't really crave alcohol, but I get off work late and I'm bored, don't have cable, and don't feel like watching any of my 600+ movies. So, drink and totse happens.