Aperature

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited October 2010 in Life
What aperture do you use? I rarely go over f/8 for two reasons.

A: It doesn't make much of a difference past 20 feet, and when I want longer exposures a ND filter is where it's at.
2: Dust on the sensor. No matter how many times you clean it a new piece of dust finds it's way on there within 10 shots.

Comments

• bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited October 2010
    You might get more answers in here brah!:thumbsup:
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited October 2010
    I doubt it.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited October 2010
    I doubt it.

Do you want me to move it back? :fap:
  • PsychonauticalPsychonautical Acolyte
    edited October 2010
    Depends on what lens I use and what for.

Sometimes, depending on the light and just for the hell of it I'll shoot at f22

I'm purely amateur, but I do love photography and experimentation is part of it.

I haven't noticed much of a difference though in the smaller apertures.
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I only notice the difference when shooting at less than 20ft. The only time I shoot at high aperture is when I'm doing <1ft macro. The fucking dust, y'know? I'm too lazy to clean it off every pic in photoshop.
    edited October 2010
    I could never afford a macro setup where I'm at right now. Maybe buy a few extenders but that's about it.

What bugs me the most is low light photography.

Until I can pay for quality glass I'm stuck standing in the weirdest positions and stock still just to get handful of shots at a show, I've got that 50mm f1.8 prime lens that everyone with a DSLR does and that does the job for the most part but the lack of zoom is limiting.

I don't only photograph shows, but it's a quick bit of money and it's the only time I really have issues with light as I have to move as well.
    edited October 2010
    I use one of those achromat macro filters. They take really good photos. People speak shit about regular macro filters but the achromat ones are kickass. If you want I could take a macro photo of something tomorrow when the sun's out. I can't hold the camera still enough with artificial light.

And I wish I had an f/1.8. The largest aperture I have is f/3.5.
    edited October 2010
    I'd love to see a photo of something, surprise me with the item haha.

The 50mm 1.8 prime is only a hundred dollars or so new it's probably one of the best valued lenses as far as I know.

I use Canon, I've got the regular 18-55mm kit lens and a 28-105mm that weighs so much I usually just take it with me in case I need to fend off muggers.

I'll look into those filters, I love natural light especially for food photography.

But I'd kill for a nice little light box, if only I was more handy.
    edited October 2010
    Alright I'll take a couple photos. Also it's Sony all the way for me. By far the best cameras for your money, plus they can use those old Minolta lenses nobody wants.

Why not just make a light box?

Cardboard box + white spray paint + lamp sockets + power cords + daylight CFL lamps + Hot glue gun.
    edited October 2010
    It's why I said I wish I was handy, I tackled that project a while ago and had some good results but it was a flimsy construction.

The first DSLR I bought was the first Sony Alpha actually. I returned it because it had a horrid amount of noise even at 400 ISO. And this was at a time when I hardly even knew what I wanted in a camera.

I've been happy with Canon for a while, but man. I loved the shutter sound of the Sony.
    edited October 2010
    Yeah the a100 sucked. The "higher ones" are better though.

The shutter sound is amazing.
    edited October 2010
    It's a shame, because it put me off completely.

I know I have to upgrade soon, and my collection of lenses isn't exactly vast so it would be easy to switch brands.

Maybe if you convince me with your macro photos tomorrow.

My XTi is a tad weak in the awesome shutter sound department.
    edited October 2010
    I actually plan on selling my a300 soon (within a few months) and getting an a550. I'll notify you when I'm ready to get rid of it if you care.
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, let me know.

I'm really interested to see the photo quality now haha.

I seem to remember that the raw format was a bit weird though, and I sat around a lot waiting for photos to convert so I could process them in photoshop.

At least, I think I remember that.
    edited October 2010
    Personally I never fuck with raw. JPEG fine is OK for me. My lenses aren't too great, so the pics may be a little blurry. I'll take a bunch tomorrow.