How to makeAcetone Peroxide

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited January 2011 in Man Cave

WARNING AP IS EXTREMELY UNSTABLE AND PRONE TO EXPLODE WITH THE SLIGHTEST FRICTION DONT MAKE IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING!!

Materials:
Chemicals- 500mL of 3% H2O2 (1), 300mL of 100% Acetone (2), and 250mL of 20-30% HCl (3).
Equipment- large glass container (jar 1L+), a beaker (500mL+), and some Coffee filters/filter paper.

Procedure:
First take your beaker and fill it with 500 mL of H2O2, dump this into your jar.
Next measure 300 mL of Acetone into the beaker, pour this into the jar.
Now measure the 250 mL of HCl and pour this into the jar drop-wise, very slowly, if the HCl is added too quickly you will end up with dicyclo AP which is very sensitive.
Once this is done place your jar into a refrigerator and leave it there for at least 1 week.
After about a week the jar will have tiny crystals floating on the bottom. These crystals are the AP.
Now it is time to filter, get another jar and cover the opening of it with the filter paper. now pour the liquid into the filter, keep adding until all the liquid is gone and you cant see the crystals in the other jar any more.
After you filter you will need to let the AP dry for awhile, set it in a cool, dark, dry place, do not put it in the oven unless you dont want the oven anymore!
Once it is dry you are ready to pack it into your casing, pack it in tightly but be sure not to pound it in, this could cause it to go off right in your hand. This recipe makes about 15 grams. (I reccomend starting with 5g or under!)

Comments

• 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2010
    A week? ur doin it rong :p

Damn. I had a link to a .pdf, but the link is broken. I have the file though, I'll upload it as soon as I can.

It's a .pdf titled "An AP beginner's manual". Lots of interesting information, along with how to make AP.

I'm pretty sure it was written by a member of Rogue Science before it went down.

SWIM made 1/4 pound for the 4th of july in a few hours with it. Within seconds of mixing the chems, the crystals were forming, and quickly outgrew the volume of the liquid in the mixture, I didn't even have to stir the mixture.

It is awesomely scary to hold 1/4 a pound of AP in your hand.

SWIM was actually thinking of making a full guide, with pictures, for you guys. Including efficient ways to filter the stuff, ratios for different amounts/concentrations of hydrogen peroxide, tips/tricks, etc.
  • megamanmegaman Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    13579 that would be really awesome also if you could post stuff in it such as where you bought the ingredients and what safety precautions so people hear don't end up like that kid from rotteneggs who blew off his hand.
    edited July 2010
    Sure thing. Some of the best advice regarding the stuff is how to store it.

Simple answer: Don't, if you can.

The stuff WILL sublime (Over time) and, depending on how you stored it, can be deadly. I believe it was actually somebody from totse a long time ago who stored it in a container with threads.

The AP sublimed, recrystallized in the threads, and when he opened the screw-top...boom.

I've read that it can be stored safely under a liquid, turned upside down so that the liquid submerges the top so it can't recrystallize in the threads, but I've never done it. Also read that it can be dissolved in acetone and retrieved.

There is a good amount at SWIM's house being stored in smaller amounts in paper plates, with printer paper covering the top. I could experiment with this if it would be useful.

Would a video guide be helpful? It could be uploaded at a local library.

EDIT: To get an idea of how long it takes to sublime, in the guide I have, it is stated that a place of AP was left out in the open for a few months, and roughly half of the product was gone.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited July 2010
    13579 wrote: »
    Would a video guide be helpful? It could be uploaded at a local library.

It could ;)
  • My Mom Is DeadMy Mom Is Dead Regular
    edited July 2010
    OP should add a bold/redletter warning in that acetone peroxide is extremely heat, friction, and shock sensitive. It only takes a slight fuckup to lose your hand with AP.
    edited July 2010
    OP should add a bold/redletter warning in that acetone peroxide is extremely heat, friction, and shock sensitive. It only takes a slight fuckup to lose your hand with AP.

This should suffice.

edited July 2010

This. Though, I'm wondering, what exactly do the conditions need to be?

I have videos of people lighting small piles of it in their hand (Around half a gram, a bit more sometimes), it burns so fast it doesn't even heat up their hand.

I only see the first frame of the video because I'm on dialup...was the AP enclosed? Was there a large amount of it in the open that did that?

Either way, his hand looks pretty fucked up.

I've never had a bad experience with AP, I always try to take every precaution.

EDIT:

Waited for the video to load, and searched the comments. Here's what happened:
    this happened with about 6-8 grams of very dry and neutralized AP mixed with aprox
    1 g of air float charcoal and 1/2 g of 20 micron aluminum to give mass and heat to the explosive,but wich also gives it more sensitivity.

it went of in my hand by friction and trust by experience....
    edited July 2010
    It just shows him in a stretcher.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010

your right adding it now.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    i recommend you add something about synthesising substances in small quantities first, especially for AP
  • My Mom Is DeadMy Mom Is Dead Regular
    edited July 2010
    13579 wrote: »
    this happened with about 6-8 grams of very dry and neutralized AP mixed with aprox
    1 g of air float charcoal and 1/2 g of 20 micron aluminum to give mass and heat to the explosive,but wich also gives it more sensitivity.

I think it's safe to assume AP won't have a vastly different mass from common salt.
    8.2 grams of salt looks like this:
    CIMG5008.jpg

CIMG5009.jpg

A hand without skin looks like this:
    This should suffice.

One has to ask themselves what they even need with such a dangerous product? If you're just looking for the next big bang in pyro, you REALLY should be looking elsewhere.
    edited July 2010
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010

that one doesnt really mention the concentration of H2O2 though. yeah i know we assume 3%, but you know, its something that people really should put in
  • LordWormLordWorm Regular
    edited January 2011
    This should suffice.

I'm surprised by how little damage his hand sustained, considering the size of the charge. Looks like he'll still have most of the normal functionality once the tissue injuries heal.

This guy had a far worse experience. He lost all the fingers on his hand. But considering the device was a steel CO2 cartridge filled with AP, he's lucky to even be alive.

Seriously kids, stay the fuck away from large AP charges. Learn how to manufacture safer secondaries like ETN and ammonium nitrate based mixtures, and use your AP (SMALL quantities) to detonate them. You don't need more than 100-200mg AP in a compound blasting cap to detonate multi-kg Ammonal or ANNM charges.
    edited January 2011
    That's why I don't play with TATP. I'll mix it in tiny amounts to make a blasting cap, but I'm looking for something safer. Any ideas?
    edited January 2011
    I typically use HMTD for primaries in compound caps (0.1g HMTD, 0.9g ETN), though it's not clear whether it's any safer at all. It's definitely a better initiator, and when properly washed and neutralized, is less friction and impact sensitive. It also does not have the one property that makes AP so dangerous to store dry - high vapour pressure. AP will slowly sublimate in storage and recrystallize into larger and more sensitive crystals.

It's really no surprise that organic peroxides are so popular. Most other primaries are difficult and/or expensive to produce in a home lab, so they usually get overlooked. DDNP, heavy metal azides, azo-clathrates, and nitrotetrazole complexes are all superior in terms of performance and handling characteristics, but it's quite a challenge to find the required precursors, and the synths are by no means easy.

The one other primary I'd consider is the silver acetylide/silver nitrate double salt. It has very nice friction and impact properties, and it makes DDT very easily in small quantities. Unfortunately, it's very expensive, as silver nitrate costs over $1/g in small quantities, and it's a rather weak initiator.

I've searched far and wide for the elusive 'perfect' primary with no success. Safe, powerful, inexpensive. You can only pick 2.

That's why I'm currently working on NPED devices. Doing away with primaries altogether is the ultimate goal.
  • warbeastwarbeast Regular
    edited January 2011
    LordWorm wrote: »
    Doing away with primaries altogether is the ultimate goal.

Maybe this needs its own thread. I know of EBWs, ETN cookoffs(full det???), flash/ETN charges, and some other things to add to ETN to help it cook off and detonate.
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, we should definitely have a thread on NPED devices. I'll consider starting one when I get back from class in a couple hours.