Quick money making thread

SLIMSLIM Regular
edited January 2011 in Man Cave
So I know I made a post about these kind of threads that any bad idea and your abilities, wits and determination can make you quick and easy money; it's about what's suitable to you and seizing an opportunity when you see it- but this is more of a food for thought thread and the kind of scams which ARE quick for anyone, simple and low in risk.

We had a similar thread to this on totse, it was an official scams thread, a very popular and informative thread which came about in mid 08- the end of totse.

I've got the archive of that thread here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D82QNY49
(file: t-1731007)

Not all of them are simple and quick and some of them won't work now (like my eBay scamming text), but it's got some other quick scam ideas which you could (and should) elaborate on.

For now here are some scams that don't get old and are simple to pull off for quick money.

Short changing scam
Pros:
This would be a favourite one of mine to do if I wanted beer money for an evening. Depending on how many shops you do it on within the day you could make a decent sum, much more than you would working a 9-5 job, depending on how quick you are you can make more than you do in a day job in just 1 hour. If you have transport and can get around to as many different shops in the area then you'll get much more done. I'd say to stay away from shopping centres and hit up street/local shops; hell supermarkets even.

On with the pros, it's a quick way to make a profit, good introducing scam that gets you active in deceit and involved with people and the risk is extremely low, it's pretty fucking hard to get caught out with this scam and if they catch on you can play dumb, once they've noticed it later and are long gone they've no way of proving they didn't fuck up a transaction with someone else instead of you.

If doing in the supermarket or any shop with multiple checkouts you have the choice of who to do it on. The younger and blacker the better.

This con is all about confusion and getting their numbers muddled up, getting them to do 2 transactions at the same time.

Cons:
Can be confusing at first so rehearse and know how you're going to do it
Won't be able to do it in the same place again anytime soon, although I'd recommend monthly, but it's entirely up to you, don't take chances if you don't want to, if you feel it'll raise suspicion.

How you could do it:
We'll start with a simple example of using a 20 note and making +10 profit. You can make more than that in just one shop but we'll keep it simple for now and just stick to a +10 profit.

# Ask for change for your 20
# Tell the clerk you actually do have enough change when you put the money into your pocket, act surprised about this and then say you'll have too much so ask for change for a tenner (whilst keeping the other 10 you got in change in your pocket).
# When you give them the "change for a 10" short change her, give them 9 but whilst this is happening take the 10 the clerk gives you, and if they don't notice then bring it up that you think you just gave 9 (five note and 4 in coins)
# Put the other coin to make the 10 back on the counter and then place another 10 (of your own) down and just ask for your 20 back- the catch being that tenner on the desk is the money out of the till

You'll still have the 10 in your pocket from way earlier. Within just 3-5mins max you've just made a +10 profit. You could do much more than this and get atleast a +30 profit. Imagine if you did this to 12 shops.

If you have a 50 get a +25 profit and/or then work up, get more profit quicker with the more money you have on you.

The fake bartender
A little bit harder to do and involves some "roleplay", but all in all still an easy scam to do, must look old enough to actually work behind a bar so keep that in mind. You'll have to look the part in this.

Pros:
No confusion necessary
Can do it in one bar/pub to make enough money
good experience with social engineering

Cons:
Can get rumbled easier
Finding gullible customers- can take time up
Most of the time you'll need a uniform (quickest way to get one is through dumpster diving or having a friend who works or worked there, you can make one if you have time to do so and can sow)

How you could do it:
Dress similar to the bartender's uniform (or if you're lucky you might find one by dumpster diving). This works better if it's a double floor pub or bar. Get a few empty pint glasses and maybe a tray to make it look like you work there, go upto some customers and tell them you're running low on change in the tills and ask them if they've got 2 10s for 20 or something like that, start at 2 5s for a 10 is you need to, you'd be surprised how many people just hand their money over to you, maybe even offer a free round of drinks if they could help "us" out, be careful with how many times you do it and don't take too long, then just leave out the side door when you've got enough.

Might have yourself some left over to get a full body massage later tonight too if you do well enough.

Good scam for a beginner.

Letterbox fishing

This is a simple way into either
# Burglary
# Car shopping or car theft

Pros:
Endless possibilities
Chances

Cons:
Could drop the keys
Might wake someone up
Hard to excuse this kind of behaviour if caught by passers by

How you could do it:
Most houses in the UK have letterboxes on their front doors so this scam is with mainly the Brits in mind. Get a thin rod/bamboo stick with a magnet or hook on it; or even a litter picker, I've known some thieves to use them; poke it through the letterbox and if there's keys in the fruit bowl or on a desk, or a hook then get them off with that, bring it through the letterbox and then open the house or car up with your keys. If you take the car, just take the handbreak off and let it roll out away slowly before turning the ignition on and driving off if you're going to steal the car, if not then just pop the boot, look in there and look everywhere else a thief usually would, keep one door open at all times whilst doing so.

Reserving this space to edit in some info on complaint letter scams, later. For those who often run their line of luck thin when it comes to filling up a few old supermarket shopping bags with food and walking out of the store with a cart full of food. Complaint letter writing is easy, quick to do (hell there's even complaint "templates" online) not to mention free stuff/coupons kick ass. Free food tastes especially better.

Writing the Letter of complaint

BASIC outline
# Use block letter format (Left aligned, no indents)
# Outside Address
# Inside address
# Greeting
# Three body paragraphs.
# Closure
# Typed name and signature

Extra notes:
# Start with the origin of purchase
# Research the company address

Greeting:
When writing about a problem with retail sales, service, or catalog sales, the greeting is "dear customer service", but say you were writing to a restaurant, you'd say "Dear Manager" (or look up or call and get the managers name), or drop by if it's local and take a business card.

Say the problem with as much details/specifics as you can, such as dates, parties involved and the problem. Show them "photocopies" of reciepts (there are generators on the internet and software for making them such as dPOS)

Include photos of the "problem" if you can fake it, if need be, an example where you wouldn't need this is if you were trying to get something like free petrol.

Don't give your "age" or anything that could give away your age.

Second paragraph
# Tell them what you want without telling them what you want. (imply)
# Ask about policies, rather than making a demand
-Refund
-Repair
- Replacement
- Return
- Warranty

And many more.

Third Paragraph

Use this sentence: "Thank you very much. I would appreciate the courtesy of a written response and I look forward to hearing from you soon."

Close it off with your name and signature.

Remember:
Be kind and be specific.

More info on this:
http://totse.info/en/bad_ideas/scams_and_rip_offs/complaintlette169147.html
http://totse.info/en/bad_ideas/scams_and_rip_offs/advancedcompla170687.html
http://totse.info/en/bad_ideas/scams_and_rip_offs/advancedcompla171794.html

Added in the complaint letter info.

If one was so inclined they could get some free petrol and the "repair bill" paid for if they were to say they'd been a long serving customer of said service station only to recieve "contaminated" petrol* causing your car to sputter and buck.

Enclose:
Enclosures: Receipt for purchase of the amount of petrol
"Copy" of repair bill for $71.43
"Copy" of Texaco (or the service you're using, Texaco and Shell work well) goodwill letter

*mass amounts of water and sludge would be good words that the "mechanic" described it as

Much easier to do with food and drink and cigarettes, but as just stated can be done with petrol and many other things.

Claiming a window cleaner's money from his customers, easily done and something window cleaners should make sure they take measures against and explain to their customers that no one else collects money but them, and when they do the window cleaner themself will personally let the customer know otherwise.

I know of a window cleaner who also did this to his rivals. Made a fuck ton of money.

I'll add some more later, hope you guys will add some too.

Comments

• Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks. I hope you revive the BI thread to its former glory.
  • edited October 2010
    Awesome thread bro, some really great ideas in here. You even formatted as well! :D
  • i<3Shroomsi<3Shrooms Acolyte
    edited October 2010
    We need more contributions to this thread!!

Ill add something that most will know...

Shoplift high value items and fence them either to stores for credit, or online for cash.

Return scams...etc

I cant think of too much that hasn't been posted before, but we should consolidate in this thread! ;)
  • KroggKrogg Semo-Regulars
    edited January 2011
    I am confused on the short changing scheme. Could you run through a script of what might be said during this transaction? I understand that by the end of it, the clerk will have given you +10, but where do you get the 5 and 4 in change?

"# Tell the clerk you actually do have enough change when you put the money into your pocket, act surprised about this and then say you'll have too much so ask for change for a tenner (whilst keeping the other 10 you got in change in your pocket)."...what?

So you go to a clerk and ask for change for a $20 and then turn right around after putting a $10 in your pocket and tell them that you will have too much? this makes no sense to me. Could somebody clarify? I am interested in trying this, but it sounds too much like the clerk will just count the money first and then give me my change. Like the second step shows, I will ask for a $10 instead of the $5 and $4 in change, then tell her that I forgot one of the dollars, the clerk would have known this. Anytime I go to the store the clerk counts out the money and then and only then, do they hand me my change. This would just end up with the clerk telling me I havent given her enough for the $20 and I will have to pull the first $10 out of my pocket. Leaving me with the exact amount I walked in with.