Tesla... (thread got deRAILED)

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited December 2010 in Life
If it wasn't for him we would have...

Invention 1: AC induction motor
No three phase power distribution
...No AC power
......They'red be DC power plants, 1 per 2 square miles.
......They'red be A copper shortage due to thick wires.
......No alumium, DC could never power smelters
..........No aircraft
......No step down transformers
..........Nothing requiring low volts, like TV, Transistors, Computers, internet.
......No life-saving medical devices
......No factories requiring electrochemical synthesis
......No air conditioning
......No refrigerators
......it goes on

Invention 2: Radio
No radio!
...No long distance telecommunications
...No cell phones
...No broadcast TV
...No broadcast at all
...No radar
......No early warning protection
...No microwave ovens
...it goes on

Invention 3: Ignition system
No otto engines!
...No feasible cars

Miscellaneous
Tesla invented robotics
He invented digital logic
He invented x-rays, 2 years before rontgen
He theorized methods for a vertical take-off aircraft
He invented tesla coils
He invented wireless power transmission
He invented other shit I forgot.

Arguably one of the most important men who ever lived.

Comments

• McSkluvinMcSkluvin Regular
    edited October 2010
    We probably would have eventually, but he saved us a shit-load of time. :thumbsup:

He forgot to invent electromagnetic weapons though........ :o
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited October 2010
    He died before he finished his em weapon. :mad:
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    Didn't he create a weapon that was supposed to cause earthquakes but he destroyed it upon realizing its power?
    edited October 2010
    That was never proved... It may be an urban legend. He did experiment with mechanical resonance though.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited October 2010
    He invented that teleportation device in The Prestige! :o
    edited October 2010
    He also invented this thing. No he didn't make any teleportation device.

edited October 2010
    I think they already have these, but it would be cool to see some kind of magnetic cannon. Instead of a cannonball being propelled by explosives, it could be pushed through a long cylinder by electromagnets activating one by one, pushing the cannonball out with more force as it goes along, sort of like how the Large HADRON Collider works....... :O
    edited October 2010
    They do have them, they're called multi-stage coilguns.

He also invented the remote controlled boat in 1890 something,
    boat1.jpg

And he invented a bladeless ultra-fast turbine.
    edited October 2010
    They do have them, they're called multi-stage coilguns.

:eek:
    I'll have to look those up then.

Also:
    "Tesla-What didn't he invent?"
    edited October 2010
    McSkluvin wrote: »
    :eek:
    I'll have to look those up then.

They're boring.

Railguns are where it's at.
    edited October 2010
    Railguns are where it's at.

Holy fuck, what did my eyes JUST SEE? :eek:
    edited October 2010
    A naval test of a railgun. The projectile shoots out with such speed that it turns the air behind it to plasma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun

800px-Railgun_usnavy_2008.jpg
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    Telsa was an IRL mad scientist. His inventions were such win.
    edited October 2010
    A naval test of a railgun. The projectile shoots out with such speed that it turns the air behind it to plasma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun
    800px-Railgun_usnavy_2008.jpg

Damn, and I thought plasma just existed in theory....... :o

And what is that stuff in front of it, it looks like a force field, lawl....

But anyways, that is cool, but I still think that coilgun you posted a link to is badass, and if someone came to me wielding that, I would be intimidated. :o
    edited October 2010
    Stuff in front is a shockwave; that cannonball is going mach 7. You can see a shockwave in this video right here. Shockwaves are regions of denser air, so the light gets bent more. In fact you can see the shockwave reflect off the car hood too.

And I wouldn't be intimidated. It takes a minute to charge up, and the bullet would maybe cut you at most.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    This thread is win, never thought Tesla was such a powerful and inventive person. We need more people like him.
    edited October 2010
    Stuff in front is a shockwave; that cannonball is going mach 7. You can see a shockwave in this video right here. Shockwaves are regions of denser air, so the light gets bent more. In fact you can see the shockwave reflect off the car hood too.

I knew what a shockwave was, but the one in the picture of the railgun firing just looked weird. It's also weird how perfectly rounded the shockwave looks, although I guess that's because it has perfectly open space to spread out in.
    And I wouldn't be intimidated. It takes a minute to charge up, and the bullet would maybe cut you at most.

Ahhhh....... :(
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited October 2010
    He died before he finished his em weapon. :mad:

This reminds me...

I went to nationals in Atlanta, Georgia (FIRST Robotics) last year, and among many, many cool booths and shit set up there was a guy who worked for the CIA. We got to drive around a few bomb disposal robots, watch his square and orbital gears work, a bunch of demonstrations of eddy currents and electromagnetics, etc.

The guys appearance was total super nerd though. Short sleeved pocket protected hunchback with skinny chicken arms and a quiet attitude with bad jokes.

I started talking to him, asking him about Tesla. According to him, everything the US government seized from Tesla's home when he died is in a high-security building, that "You practically need the presidents permission to enter". After talking to him moreso, he tried telling me that, although most tesla coils resemble towers, all the coils Tesla made where rather flat and cylinder/disc shaped.

According to him, after years of walking around a high resolution poster that was pinned to the floor of a room (The poster being of one of these coils tesla made) he found Tesla's secret, and, attempted to tell me that with this secret it was possible to have electromagnetic induction with unlimited range (Not limited by the inverse-square law). I'm sure he was full of horseshit and trying to mess with a highschool student (Myself), but after seeing some of the things he had on display, it made me wonder just what they found in Tesla's home.

There was all sorts of cool things that were set up over there, such as a recon robot that heavily resembles the SWORD with a camera on top with several degrees of freedom controlled by an off-brand PS2 controller, with goggles that had a little CRT screen inside of them so you could see through the camera :fap:
    edited October 2010
    spazz wrote: »
    am I right in assuming that if someone was to make one of those nowadays it would basically turn the whole world, off.............

It would drain the Sun's batteries...... :o

And sowwy for derailing this thread Katzenklavier :(
    edited October 2010
    He was full of horsehshit, it's inverse square LAW, not inverse square theory. Tesla first made his coils like this,

antigravitywg122_small.gif

Then after experimentation he moved to pancake coils. Most people now don't make them because there's really no improvement.

teslathinker.jpg

Then he invented the "magnifying transmitter". This is what he used to transmit power long distances.

tunguska3.jpg
    edited October 2010

Then he invented the "magnifying transmitter". This is what he used to transmit power long distances.

tunguska3.jpg

lol, I like how it looks like he's just kicking back in the background reading a book, while all these huge bolts of electricity are flying around..... :O

But is that the thing that can power light bulbs just by ionized air? Or was that something else?
    edited October 2010
    Yes, he used his magnifying transmitter to do that.

These florescent lights are being powered by a transmitter miles away.
    800px-TeslaWirelessLightsCS.png

How it happens is there's a small coil attached to the lights that oscillates at the same frequency as the transmitter. The resonant oscillation is the key.
    edited October 2010
    Yes, he used his magnifying transmitter to do that.

These florescent lights are being powered by a transmitter miles away.
    800px-TeslaWirelessLightsCS.png

How it happens is there's a small coil attached to the lights that oscillates at the same frequency as the transmitter. The resonant oscillation is the key.

And....... how come we aren't currently using this technology in anything? :confused:
    edited October 2010
    So you want to build a new wardenclyffe tower? Hope you have a couple million dollars.
    edited October 2010
    McSkluvin wrote: »
    And....... how come we aren't currently using this technology in anything? :confused:

We are, have you ever seen the powermat?

powermat.jpg
    edited October 2010
    We are, have you ever seen the powermat?
    powermat.jpg

Yes I have, but I didn't know it used that to charge them, in fact I wasn't really sure how it worked. :S
    edited October 2010
    spazz wrote: »
    no no, the machine that he turned on in Colorado springs that fried the power plant

Not sure which one you're talking about. Tesla made a lot of stuff in Colorado.
  • edited December 2010
    Holy shit, that video was incredible. Imagine being shot in the face with that :o
    edited December 2010
    You'd have no face.