Fallout: New Vegas

PigPig Regular
edited November 2010 in Spurious Generalities

Releases on October 19 and 22, respectively, for US and UK.
Anyone else getting this shit? Even though it sounds just like a filler title for the next big Fallout, they're putting a lot of work into it. It's not just a couple of extra skins, and features like the weapon modification system sound cool. Oh, and hardcore mode sounds badass.

Thoughts, GO.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Certainly looks interesting after watching that trailer! Now going to read the Wiki :D
  • PigPig Regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm certainly excited for it. The Fallout 3 DLC was mediocre, honestly, but this looks like a real solid effort.
  • edited October 2010
    Fallout is one of my favorite franchises, I love the post-apocalyptic setting, and the 30s' 40's twist. The first two are a little bit of a grind, absolutely nothing like fallout3, but worth it if you like classic RPG's.

When I first came across Fallout3 I was unemployed, had just broken up with my last GF, and living in a south facing third floor apartment that was hot as a bitch, Fallout3 kept me sane. And the heat just made me feel more like I was a real "wastelander". I think it was a way better use of the game engine than Oblivion. "New Vegas" looks fucking brilliant, and I may have to take a month or so off between jobs to immerse myself in the experience.
    C/O
  • PigPig Regular
    edited October 2010
    and living in a south facing third floor apartment that was hot as a bitch,

Out of curiosity, what difference does being south/north-facing make? The sun's always gonna rise in the east.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited October 2010
    So who's got it? I wasn't able to download it before I had to head back to campus (their Internet blocks torrents).
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited October 2010
    Pig wrote: »
    So who's got it? I wasn't able to download it before I had to head back to campus (their Internet blocks torrents).

Rolf has it, Rolf likes it, a lot of the content from the original Fallout games is referenced quite a bit in New Vegas so it feels like a true sequel to those games, as opposed to Fallout 3 which was a vastly different setting.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited October 2010
    Worth buying or just downloading?
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited October 2010
    Pig wrote: »
    Worth buying or just downloading?

It depends, states Rolf. To the beauty that is Mrs.Rolf, New Vegas little more than a large expansion pack to Fallout III: same gameplay (with slight improvements like weapon mods and faction relations), similar theme but in a new landscape. Rolf sees this point and agrees with it, weather this is good or bad depends on your viewpoint. There are a handful of bugs in New Vegas, they will be patched and Rolf is yet to suffer a game-breaking bug, Rolf suggests saving often and in different slots if thou decides to purchase New Vegas.

Rolf states that if thou liked Fallout III, you'll like New Vegas, Rolf likes it more because it's more connected to the previous Fallout games. Beware though that Fallout New Vegas made the same mistake Fallout III made: no post-storyline free play.

EDIT: The first DLC for New Vegas is temporarily Xbox 360 exclusive, so if one wishes to play the latest DLC quickest, that might be the platform to buy it fore, states Rolf. However, continues Rolf, the amount of extra mods that will exist for the PC version of New Vegas means that Rolf has to suggest purchasing it on PC.
  • GumboGumbo Regular
    edited October 2010
    Within weeks there will be mods for post storyline freeplay. I'm waiting to play it, until they patch out most of the bugs, and somebody mods in the pre-order exclusive BS so I can have it all on the PC. (already available?) I hate that shit.

Huge fan of Fallout 1 and 2, i also liked 3 but as a seperate series. I think they should retroactively rename F3 to TES4:Futuristic Wasteland, and allow New Vegas to adopt it's rightful title.

But man, how the fuck do these niggers get away with releasing such a buggy game? What happened to beta-testing?
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited October 2010
    Damn, I've still got to play Fallout 3 :facepalm:
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited October 2010
    fuck this game ,my map markers are all fucked up:angry::angry::angry:
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited October 2010
    Gumbo wrote: »
    But man, how the fuck do these niggers get away with releasing such a buggy game? What happened to beta-testing?

Since the interwebs, states Rolf, it is has sadly become quite common for developers to approach a "we can patch it later" mentality, finishes Rolf.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited October 2010
    Rolf wrote: »
    Since the interwebs, states Rolf, it is has sadly become quite common for developers to approach a "we can patch it later" mentality, finishes Rolf.

These days it also seems like they deliberately leave out a part of the game, only to sell to you as DLC a few months down the track :angry:
  • ELEvator floor button #4ELEvator floor button #4 Semo-Regulars
    edited November 2010
    I am not touching this timefuck until the Everyday is Sunday on reload is fixed. Cheat terminal mod makes any background possible, more items and not determined by where you got your copy of NV.