Do you believe in Magic?

edited November 2010 in Life
Like, the casting of spells and shit. Hell, even tarot cards or clairvoyance. Does anyone have any experiences with these things? Anyone seen any fucked shit in their time? Spill!

Comments

• MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited July 2010
    I believe in such things to an extent. I mean, I don't blindly believe in anything, but I have an open mind to the fact their could be things beyond the average human understanding.

I got my first set of tarot cards yesterday, myself, and I'm excited to learn about the whole tarot reading thing.
  • edited July 2010
    YAY NAMASTE!!! I got some tarot cards at the start of the summer, and I've made it a summer project of mine to learn them. Which deck do you have? (Thoth, Rider-Waite?)
  • OnesanOnesan Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    what has this borderline nutcase stuff got to do with science of the damned?

shouldnt this be in my god can beat the shit out of your god?
    edited July 2010
    Onesan wrote: »
    what has this borderline nutcase stuff got to do with science of the damned?

shouldnt this be in my god can beat the shit out of your god?

Occultism is not religion.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited July 2010
    YAY NAMASTE!!! I got some tarot cards at the start of the summer, and I've made it a summer project of mine to learn them. Which deck do you have? (Thoth, Rider-Waite?)

Hanson-Roberts

From what I've read it's good for beginners, so it seemed to make sense to start with something simple.
  • OnesanOnesan Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Occultism is not religion.

Nor is it science, however you do make a good point and with a lack of a proper paranormal board (didnt even notice that till i went to look for what board this sort of thread belongs in, sorry if my earlier post came off a little harsh lol), i guess this forums better than no thread :D
  • edited July 2010
    Cool, namaste, I use the Toth

Onesan, no hard feelings, and I did look for a place to ask this before deciding on here. I guess my mind is still poisoned with zoklet's set up. eww....
  • SteppenwolfSteppenwolf Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I believe in God, so thats the same difference.
  • woodwood Regular
    edited July 2010
    Sure do. Unless you're actually going to use it though, there's not much point just believing in it.

Taking a magic subject at uni this semester. Should be pretty interesting.
  • edited July 2010
    Magic does not exist. No. I'll believe in the phenomenon when I am touched by it.
    edited July 2010
    Magic does not exist. No. I'll believe in the phenomenon when I am touched by it.

That is the best attitude to have when dealing with occultism or magic. Being a "true believer" is inviting insanity.
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited July 2010
    i saw a guy cut a womin into a bunch of peeses but she was in a box and alive the hole time so if thats not magic wut is??????? :o:o:o:o
  • KundaLiniKundaLini Regular
    edited July 2010
    Sometimes.
  • edited July 2010
    That is the best attitude to have when dealing with occultism or magic. Being a "true believer" is inviting insanity.

Even if magic were to exist, I would not see myself fit to understand the workings behind it. I am a mere mortal, bound in flesh and blood, bound by matter. If something like that exists, it is more akin to a Lovecraftian horror than a mage. In any case I'd rather not be touched.
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited July 2010
    Given the theories that Quantum Mechanics seems to put forward I am willing to stay open to anything.
  • edited July 2010
    Caesar, I completely agree. I'm basically in the boat that if you think of it, it probably exists somewhere in this crazy universe.
    edited July 2010
    Caesar wrote: »
    Given the theories that Quantum Mechanics seems to put forward I am willing to stay open to anything.

You might be interested in this:
    Apophenion attacks most of the great questions of being, free will, consciousness, meaning, the nature of mind, and humanity's place in the cosmos, from a magical perspective. Some of the conclusions seem to challenge many of the deeply held assumptions that our culture has taught us, so brace yourself for the paradigm crash and look for the jewels revealed in the wreckage. This book contains something to offend everyone; enough science to upset the magicians, enough magic to upset the scientists, and enough blasphemy to upset most trancendentalists.
  • edited July 2010
    suhweet...
  • NightsideNightside Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes, but I don't think many people in this realm can shoot a laser of runes from their dick.

Maybe in the next life :) ...
  • edited July 2010
    Maybe, nightside, maybe.

*looks dreamily afar*
  • ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm a magician (more of a left-handed intuitive, chaotic sorcerer & berserker boddhisattva) but I don't believe in it, I don't believe in anything. What does it even mean to believe in something? That you've stopped questioning, that you've stopped learning. Magic is the manipulating of the world of energy in order to influence the Materia, IMO.
  • edited July 2010
    Rizzo, I love you, have my babies. SO MANY BABIES!!!!
  • ArmsMerchantArmsMerchant Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I'm a magician (more of a left-handed intuitive, chaotic sorcerer & berserker boddhisattva) but I don't believe in it, I don't believe in anything. What does it even mean to believe in something? That you've stopped questioning, that you've stopped learning. Magic is the manipulating of the world of energy in order to influence the Materia, IMO.

Well said.

IMO, the more you know and the less you believe, the better off you are.

I KNOW that magick works because I have done it in many ways, over many years.

Heck, twenty years ago, I thought channelling was bunkum until I did it myself.
  • Panic!Panic! Regular
    edited July 2010
    In a young girls heart?
    edited July 2010

Think alike we do. "believe" is a bad word.
    edited July 2010
    Rizzo, I love you, have my babies. SO MANY BABIES!!!!

Wait, Imaginarium = Rizzo? I was hoping he'd make his way over here...

edit: you too ArmsMerchant. :)
  • edited July 2010
    Wait, Imaginarium = Rizzo? I was hoping he'd make his way over here...

edit: you too ArmsMerchant. :)

Look at his post on Nitric oxide and the prevention of neuro-degeneration in prolonged exposure to dopamine agonists. If it ain't Rizzo, he sure acts like him.
  • edited July 2010
    Enough rizzo trolls, back to the validity of magic!
  • RuptureRupture Regular
    edited July 2010
    What's wrong with you people magic doesn't exist... :o:o:o
  • edited July 2010
    ^What makes you think so?
  • KundaLiniKundaLini Regular
    edited August 2010
    Caesar wrote: »

Yes, yes....
  • abrnabrn Abrn
    edited October 2010
    There are magicians that actually truly BELIEVE in magic. Some of these are on the same level as Christians actually BELIEVING in The Bible/Christ/God/etc. Another good chunk of people that honestly believe in magic are schizophrenic or have some other mental disorder. The majority of people I have chatted to online and a few IRL that honestly believe in magic are very obviously delusional, and I've found that the ones that aren't blatantly nuts are actually nuts when you talk to them further. My theory is that they become anywhere from interested to obsessed with magick and believe it fully because their condition makes them hear voices and hallucinate - so they tangibly see the magickal world.

Another type of people that believe in magick are people that understand it in a more subjective way. They use the rituals, deities, observances, etc. as a way to direct their subconscious and intentions the way they want them (while fully understanding that its not real) , and use the rest as part of their personal religion and traditions. Something that ties into this but is slightly separate is the practice of "controlled folly" ( I think its outlined in A Separate Reality by Casteneda) which is really fucking confusing. If I remember correctly its basically lying to yourself while fully knowing you are lying and fully believing your own lie. I found it very useful in interpreting a lot of shit once I wrapped my head around it, but don Juan's explanation is a don Juan explanation to a large extent.

Then of course you got you're fucking hippies and those damned theosophists! Myself, having a disease called philosophers syndrome and am split in half by Gemini disorder, believe in magick in some ways while and also believe in it in a subjective manner, though I definitely lean towards the second paragraph in my beliefs.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    No I do not. I challenge anyone on here to put a "curse" on me. Go ahead seriously do it. Use voodoo Satan Santeria whatever you want. I will bet you anything that it has no effect on me at all.
    edited October 2010
    No I do not. I challenge anyone on here to put a "curse" on me. Go ahead seriously do it. Use voodoo Satan Santeria whatever you want. I will bet you anything that it has no effect on me at all.

I put a curse on you to turn you gay. Oh shi- nvm....:o:o:o:o:o
    edited October 2010
    abrn wrote: »
    There are magicians that actually truly BELIEVE in magic. Some of these are on the same level as Christians actually BELIEVING in The Bible/Christ/God/etc. Another good chunk of people that honestly believe in magic are schizophrenic or have some other mental disorder. The majority of people I have chatted to online and a few IRL that honestly believe in magic are very obviously delusional, and I've found that the ones that aren't blatantly nuts are actually nuts when you talk to them further. My theory is that they become anywhere from interested to obsessed with magick and believe it fully because their condition makes them hear voices and hallucinate - so they tangibly see the magickal world.

Another type of people that believe in magick are people that understand it in a more subjective way. They use the rituals, deities, observances, etc. as a way to direct their subconscious and intentions the way they want them (while fully understanding that its not real) , and use the rest as part of their personal religion and traditions. Something that ties into this but is slightly separate is the practice of "controlled folly" ( I think its outlined in A Separate Reality by Casteneda) which is really fucking confusing. If I remember correctly its basically lying to yourself while fully knowing you are lying and fully believing your own lie. I found it very useful in interpreting a lot of shit once I wrapped my head around it, but don Juan's explanation is a don Juan explanation to a large extent.

Then of course you got you're fucking hippies and those damned theosophists! Myself, having a disease called philosophers syndrome and am split in half by Gemini disorder, believe in magick in some ways while and also believe in it in a subjective manner, though I definitely lean towards the second paragraph in my beliefs.

I know people from both camps. The true believers are some of the easiest fuckers to troll, I wish I still had the screenshots of all the curses and threats I got from this "Setian Priest" guy.

There is another group (myself included) that doesn't give two shits whether it's "real" or psychological as long as some sort of result is achieved. I actually spend too much time reading about the occult and rarely ever practice it anymore.

And agreed about the theosophists. Those are the assholes that spout bullshit about Atlantis, right?
  • abrnabrn Abrn
    edited October 2010
    I think what the camp you land in would be some chillaxin people doing something close to controlled folly, kind of like controlled not giving a fuck. Theosophists I'm pretty sure are trying to force the occult to be science the way crowley tried to force solomon to be real and the way einstein tried to use physics to prove god after he did relativity.
  • BitterConflictBitterConflict Regular
    edited October 2010
    ^ Dude your posts are quite amusing and yes I'll be your friend. :)

Also Magic is real... if it's black magic. Stay away from that shit, it's not cool. :(
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    ^ Dude your posts are quite amusing and yes I'll be your friend. :)

Also Magic is real... if it's black magic. Stay away from that shit, it's not cool. :(

Put a black magick spell on me. (notice Im seriously evil because I spelled with a ck) I fear not the forces of evil.
  • BitterConflictBitterConflict Regular
    edited October 2010
    Put a black magick spell on me. (notice Im seriously evil because I spelled with a ck) I fear not the forces of evil.

I don't practice black magic at all. Just heard a bunch of stories from my family members and friends. Also, I watched a lot of trippy documentaries on tv about it and it's pretty scary. I don't want anything to do with it.
  • abrnabrn Abrn
    edited November 2010
    Maybe its evil forces? Maybe its unleashing your full potential of evil, be it spiritual or subconscious, so you really see some results? Thats my theory on why a lot of people say basically the same thing you said about black magic.