Launching a web project

stresstres Regular
edited November 2010 in Tech & Games
I've taken on a new responsibility and plan to launch a business with a friend, we're serious to the point that we want to see it pay our rent/food etc so I want to to it all right the first time so of course I'll ask totse for halp!

Basically within a few months I'd like to have an interactive website with a dedicated URL and emails / something fancy, but in the mean time, we're happy to settle for freeware and hotmail/facebook accounts to get the ball rolling.

What should I do? - Certainly not a fucking troll attempt lol, I need to eat so this needs to work. :thumbsup:

(need advice especially as to which forum/host/software to use)

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    You came to the right place.

Now the first thing you need to do is get a notepad [pen/paper] and really plan your business, like how would you interact with someone, what are your selling points, what legal issues you will encounter, how do you plan to conduct yourself and how much capital you got. Plus, you need to worry about the infrastructure, the equipments and softwares you need.

With that done, you should remember that no matter how much you try some times things don't work out. You need to prepare yourself for failures and just be positive and never give up. People tend to leave or walk away if they see something isn't working, the thing is, they don't believe in it.

Totse.info is a perfect example, we started big and got tons of users but we were incomplete at that time and users just parted away because they didn't like committing themselves to something. But still after so many fuckups and pwnages we're still here and doing better each day/week. The thing we did was never giveup and always keep trying.

Learn from Totse.info and just believe in yourself.

Okay enough about the prep talk.

So, you need a host and some website.

There are things you will require to make it work.
    A) Community help. Never be shy about asking for help. Even though Zok [zoklet owner] and me don't get along very well I do ask for help from him time to time and in return I do offer him help. There are countless other sources which can help you. You just need to find a way to use it. So, stick with Totse!
    B) Idea/layout. Before jumping up and down and making a website you really need to know what you want. If you're into coding and can develop something then it will be easier but if you want to ask for help, it would be better if you at least get the details down. Like what layout you want, what type of pictures you want for the website etc. I would recommend Skittles and Bornkiller. IMO they're amazing. And Katz is really good with images.
    C)When it comes to hosting you should play it safe. Check your budget and see what you can buy. If you're just hosting a simple website then go for Godaddy. But if you want to add forums and CMS then you will require a better host and will need some money.
    D) If you want to earn something via ADs then use Google Adsence but be careful about the content. They can screw you badly if you break the terms.

I can help you more but honestly I have a high fever and I am kinda sick atm. Sorry if I wasn't helpful enough. Just remember we're here to help you :).
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited November 2010
    Figure out who your target audience will be? Age, gender, who would require your type of services.
    Create your site theme to your target audience level.
    Example only:
    If you were marketing make up and fashion accessories for teenage girls. Your site wouldn't have a black background with demon images, unless you were selling black lipstick & eye liner as make up, and chains, whips and studded leather items as fashionaccessories.

Keep your introduction & explanation of service to a minimum. People wanna browse a page quickly not read a drawn out story of your life.
    Target the audience and make your text interactive by including the words you, your. you're. Not so much "This is what I do." but more of "This is what I can do for you". Text them like you were speaking directly to them. Keep it interactive. Keep it simple. Keep them captivated.

Linking to your site from another is always a good thing. Traffic is the key.
    I could mention "F" reading but. meh! I won't bore you with that bro.
    Like Df said! "Pen and Paper" These are your best friends.

Don't be shy to ask for advice or help. via PM or forum post. :thumbsup:
  • stresstres Regular
    edited November 2010
    Very glad to see you guys taking interest in the project!

I'll elaborate further.

I'm a first year business/commerce student with a fairly decent understanding of management and accounting. A very close friend of mine is by far the most musically talented individual I've met, we have been through some really heavy shit and done plenty of first time drug experiences together; got really heavy into the 'rave' scene together too. We plan to move out in January into our own place with two other friends from highschool and I honestly think it would be retarded not to incorporate. Basically we are going to be launching a production/collaboration and DJ/entertainment hire business out of our living room (with some off - the - book inflows involved). One of my future room-mates is an aspiring photographer, so I think we have a fighting chance of making rent without ever selling out (says the suit :rolleyes:).

I'm personally going to have little role in the operations of the business, so a lot of the development and direction will come from the minds of my room-mates, as really it is their labour, their choice - I'm just here to see it all fall together and to capitalise on my education while studying.

I'm pretty certain that the business will have an electronic - raver-esque undertone to it (Think plenty of E, bass and plur) and the website will certainly have to show it (A nice dark theme is important). This is something we are aspiring to:
    http://www.bassagents.com/news.html

Meeting with my mate over some choof later today and we will certainly employ the pen/paper method and clarify our objectives. Will update with more!

Stay tuned guys, our livelyhood depends on this projects success and we plan to see it through - should be one hell of an adventure :thumbsup:

Oh and btw; I personally think I am the sort of person who could quickly adapt/learn should I need to actually create a webpage. I'm unfamiliar with most forms of code but I'm fairly clever and hungry so I'll make it work.
  • edited November 2010
    OP is a fag and I don't like this thread but I lost a ton of posts in the fall so posting.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    I like your idea, you remind me of my friend Raven and me. Basically we had something big in mind and since 2009 we have been busting our asses to make it work. Since this is Pakistan we still couldn't get it to work but we're positive and hopefully we can get it out.

Moving on, in your case you need to sort things out.

From your post:
    You have one talented musician with you.
    You have one aspiring photographer with you.
    And you have another mate along side with you.

So, in total you have 4 guys.
    Now, a DJ etc business isn't easy.You just can't jump into it. You need to plan things, rehearse and get things in order.

Here what I would do if I had this man power.
    A) I would Torrent as many music samples I can, get some good musical tools in my library along with tons of music. From R&B to Hip Hop. This is like the standard thing to do.
    B)Then I am going to download Adobe CS suite along with any accessories and software I need for the Camera.

With that, I will tell my friend to go through the library and start creating playlists that will match different occasions. Like Google for best party playlist and start making contacts with international DJ's and start sharing notes etc. Use Twitter since it really makes connecting with people easy.

After me and my mates have got a the playlist sorted, I would tell my DJ buddy to get things in order and start jamming. Get the feel for things and find a sweet spot that actually works for the viewers or customers.

I would tell my Photographer mate to learn about Photographing and work on taking dynamic photographs and especially night-time photography. The thing is, I want to get my DJ friend to do the shows and my buddy to take snaps which you can later change extra for. He can then expand his arena and go into random photo shoots and really get into fashion shows. They do require some DJ's for Fashion shows as well.

The remaining two, will work on the office. Taking calls and making arrangement. whenever you're working one guy has to say in the house and monitor things and the rest will work on the job. In this way it will be a bit professional and plus if someone fucked something up or you got another job someone will keep things in place. Having an accountant monitor things would be awesome.

And make sure you guys don't fuck this up.

Me and buddy [Raven] are willing to go without food and sleep on floors if required. You need to commit yourself for it. Whatever money you get save it and invest it in your infrastructure. Always keep looking for new openings etc.

When it comes to Advertising, live shows on Livestream and Twit Cam will get you many viewers. Use the social networking tools. Plus, Totse.info will sponsor your website :) and hey you can even become Totsean Official DJ resource etc.

The sky is the limit. You just need to commit yourself. Although it might seem that I am just Bullshiting you guys but trust me, if I had enough resources I wouldn't be living in this shit hole.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    This might help: http://lifehacker.com/5683682/five-best-domain-name-registrars

Btw invest some time in coming up with a good web domain name.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited November 2010
    Make sure to constantly ask them if they need your help considering that they are doing all of the work because if shit turns south then the person who does nothing is the first to go. Just be as helpful and creative with new ideas as possible and they will see that you are looking to improve the business as much as you can.

I'll certainly act as a second pair of hands, without question, however I do want this business to be as organic in nature as possible. Decisive power really does have to lye with the ones with the vision. I personally know jack shit about photography or music. My role will be centered around making sure our books balance, organising, scheduling and all the other bullshit that comes with management - theres no free ride for me, believe me.

We plan to draw up contracts and make it as official as possible.

And fatty; glad to see you take interest, regardless :o
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited November 2010
    Make sure you know how to do all the accounting. Know about laws and regulations concerning businesses and make sure you have any and all licenses you need. If you want to do entertainment stuff, you need an image. Get a graphic designer to help make the website, maybe your photographer friend can do that. Your shit needs to look good and be professional. You need business cards (cool looking ones) and contact info. Use social networking to get the word out.

Of course, you need to set up everything first, then do publicity.

You could team up with other DJs and help each other out, that way you have multiple people you can use for different types of shows.