Anti Smoking Laws in NZ

DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
edited December 2012 in Spurious Generalities
Well if the laws regarding smoking here in NZ wern't already ridiculous enough, they got a whole lot worse. Today a new law governing display of tobacco products took effect. Now stores can be fined $10,000 just for having cigarettes in plain sight. At the supermarket that I work at, we have to put the packets of cigarettes in a canvas bag and take it to the customer now as someone might see it and be like "OMG a packet of cigarettes, I'll take up smoking now" :facepalm:. We cannot show a customer the range of tobacco we stock or display signs suggesting that we sell tobacco products.

For fuck sake, If you don't want to smoke then dont. If you do, go right ahead. Its a personal choice but yet you have these people who upon hearing of something harmful, want it banned immediately. Sure i agree with not being able to smoke in bars and restaurants or schools and hospitals, that's fair enough but this is taking it a little too far IMO. The health department wants cigarettes banned by 2025 but it won't happen, the government makes too much in taxes from them.

I had family return from the US today with cigarettes and was surprised that there is no large health warnings or pictures of disfigured people in the packaging. I like it, it looks better IMO. Plus I tried those camel crushes I have heard about on here a few times. Wish we could get them here, they are an awesome idea. They are so cheap, i think they paid about $5-6 US for them and found other brands that they could get for about $4. Here you would pay at least $13 or more for them if we had them, I couldn't believe how cheap they are over there.

They also want to introduce plain packaging of tobacco products. FFS :facepalm:

I hate the way this country is going when the government listens to the "politically correct" faggots. Fuck them.

Comments

• SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited July 2012
    Im going to start grow my own tobacco soon haha
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2012
    It is not just NZ the entire world is headed towards this type of intrusive government control over every aspect of our daily lives.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2012
    Dude it's been in place for ages here in the UK. I was under the impression the whole of the UK had stopped selling fags (cigarettes) and tobacco products.
    It is ridiculous.

No, it's fucking ridiculous. At least I have some nice sticky-icky coming my way after a long while. Shame they don't sell that.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited July 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    Dude it's been in place for ages here in the UK. I was under the impression the whole of the UK had stopped selling fags (cigarettes) and tobacco products.
    It is ridiculous.

No, it's fucking ridiculous. At least I have some nice sticky-icky coming my way after a long while. Shame they don't sell that.

Probably where our government got the idea from.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2012
    Ciggs here are cheap, I mean really REALLY fucking cheap. Last time I checked it was 1~2 dollars MAX for a pack. I mean Jesus for 13 dollars you get a full fucking family sized pack. The imported brands are expensive but still the rest are just cheap as hell.
  • edited July 2012
    I'm kind of bummed that they banned smoking in pubs here in the UK. I used to love the smoky pub atmosphere, and you'd come home stinking of fags and beer. Sure, it gives you cancer, but what the fuck doesn't?!
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2012
    They're going to introduce plain packaging here. It's a certainty now. The Tabacco companies tried the 'nanny state' routine but it failed.

I don't smoke. I don't care if people smoke around me. A lot of people do care. Smokers are an easy target. There are all sorts of smoking/non-smoking zones now.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited July 2012
    The way i look at it is, if a company wants to advertise their product then let them. Fuck, drinking floor cleaner will kill you as well and it doesn't have the same restrictions. It probably will do one day though.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited July 2012
    I honestly dont believe smoking is as bad for you as they say. Its the people that smoke several packets a day that give it such a bad rep. Sure breathing smoke is bad for you, I get that. but so is drinking, exhaust gas or even chlorine and we let children swim in that shit. Hell we spray deodorant under or pits everyday ( well we should lol ) how good can that be for your health?
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2012
    I like to troll the shop owners where I am and tell them I've changed my brand recently and don't remember the name of them. I get them to open up their storage cabinet wide so everyone around me can see in.

I can respect the non smoking in hospitals and schools but could never really understand making bars non smoking zones. Fuck! Some individuals can't handle a little bit of smoke but can go out and get pissed & off their faces.

I can associate bars to: Fights breaking out, people getting killed in alcohol related car accidents, family abuse, blah, blah, blah and smoking in bars is the one that gets banned? WTF?

It's just another one of those pathetic non smoking laws with reverse psycology overtones. If you can't have or see it, you'll want it, and well the government are at, they may as well lift the taxes to supposedly deter the smoker. What a crock of shit...:angry:
  • GrinchGrinch Regular
    edited December 2012
    I had family return from the US today with cigarettes and was surprised that there is no large health warnings or pictures of disfigured people in the packaging. I like it, it looks better IMO. Plus I tried those camel crushes I have heard about on here a few times. Wish we could get them here, they are an awesome idea. They are so cheap, i think they paid about $5-6 US for them and found other brands that they could get for about $4. Here you would pay at least $13 or more for them if we had them, I couldn't believe how cheap they are over there.

They also want to introduce plain packaging of tobacco products. FFS :facepalm:

I hate the way this country is going when the government listens to the "politically correct" faggots. Fuck them.

Prices in the States are relative to location.

Where I am currently living the mean price for a pack of cigarettes is $5.00 (USD). Although if I travel 100 miles north, crossing a state line the price escalates to ≥ $10.00.

While I have not come into contact with packaging ridden with shock images, last year my hometown enacted a city-wide smoking ban. The text explains that smoking is unlawful in any location where another individual has the potential to be exposed to secondhand smoke. This includes and is not limited to streets, sidewalks, parks, beaches, and (quite arbitrarily) places of employment.

Smoking is permitted in any privately-owned residential property, the dwindling number of smoking hotel rooms, and any outside location specifically labeled as a smoking area (provided that no one complains about an overabundance of secondhand smoke).
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2012
    Sounds like time for a tobacco smoke in.