Activision to push to make Call of Duty a pay-to-play franchise.

abusernameabusername Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
What do you guys think? I personally think it's a huge fucking insult to the entire video gaming community.. A MMO I can understand, but a twitch shooter FPS? Get fucking real, Activision. I see a quick and brutal death to the Call of Duty franchise if they go forward with this.

Heres the story

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=227204

Comments

• TLVTLV Regular
    edited July 2010
    I can see why they think it could work, but anyone with a brain can see why it wont.
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited July 2010
    See I was considering buying COD in the future but to be honest all this shit from activision has turned me off. Question though, If I bought COD 2 would I need to buy the Map packs?

Anyway back on topic it's just pure money grabbing if they were to bring out a future COD with a system like this I would avoid like the plague.
  • abusernameabusername Regular
    edited July 2010
    kfc v lot wrote: »
    See I was considering buying COD in the future but to be honest all this shit from activision has turned me off. Question though, If I bought COD 2 would I need to buy the Map packs?

Anyway back on topic it's just pure money grabbing if they were to bring out a future COD with a system like this I would avoid like the plague.

On what system are you talking about buying it on?

I'm pretty sure a game as old as CoD2 will not have many people playing it, horrible lag.. and thats if the servers are even still up.
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm never going to pay subscription to play online, fastest way to lose the franchise.
    edited July 2010
    abusername wrote: »
    On what system are you talking about buying it on?

I'm pretty sure a game as old as CoD2 will not have many people playing it, horrible lag.. and thats if the servers are even still up.

Cheers sorry I meant Modern Warfare 2 :facepalm: sorry but thanks anyway :)
    edited July 2010
    Cheers sorry I meant Modern Warfare 2 :facepalm: sorry but thanks anyway :)

Ah I see :)

If your looking for a good war shooter, I personally would recommend Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Very similar to Call of duty: Modern Warfare 2, but it has a much better community, better(larger and more detailed) maps, destructable environments, vast amounts of weapons and vehicles.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is basically MW2's rival :)
    edited July 2010
    abusername wrote: »
    Ah I see :)

If your looking for a good war shooter, I personally would recommend Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Very similar to Call of duty: Modern Warfare 2, but it has a much better community, better(larger and more detailed) maps, destructable environments, vast amounts of weapons and vehicles.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is basically MW2's rival :)

Thank you very much I had considered Bad Company 2 but wasn't sure how big the community was etc.
    :D
    How similar is it to Battlefield 2?
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited July 2010
    If this happens I will hardcore fucking rage. :mad:
    edited July 2010
    Thank you very much I had considered Bad Company 2 but wasn't sure how big the community was etc.
    :D
    How similar is it to Battlefield 2?

The community would be about half the size of the MW2 community. With that said, its still a few million players. It's very popular, just shadowed by MW2.

It's similar to BF2, but at the same time it isn't. It's very focused on squad teamwork(You can join a squad of up to four people, ontop of being on your normal team) though you can also lone wolf it and do just fine. It has more vehicles than BF2 did (Excluding planes, they don't have planes in this one) and more guns. It has less people playing at one time and the map is a bit smaller, but it's still way more than MW2 has at a time. One BC2 map = the size of 4 MW2 maps, if not more.

I believe 32 people can play on a server at one time. But that's def. enough as there is always action going on everywhere.

Will take you AGES to reach top rank and unlock everything.. if you buy a new copy, you get 3 map packs for free with a code that comes with every new copy of the game.

Very very fun game... there is a "Vietnam" pack coming in a few months for it too, which will cost money unfortunately, but it looks like it will be a completely new game.
    edited July 2010
    BC2 and MW2 are different games. MW2 is closer battles whereas BC2 is both close and long range, but also has vehicles and destructive environments.

BC2 is probably better imo. Can almost always just pick a level and a game type and join a game instantly. Also team work aspect is pretty cool and you can get points for reviving and restocking people etc not just killing.
  • Dr. AwkwardDr. Awkward Regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow this is stupid. This will definitely kill the series :(.

As for BF:BC2 I wouldn't say it's CoD's rival, they're really very different. BC2 is much much slower paced, and things like the shooting mechanics make it completely different. Don't get me wrong I love the game but sometimes I just want a bit more CoD style action.

edit: kind of ninja'd
    edited July 2010
    Even if it got 110/100 I still wouldn't buy it if it was subscription.
    It fucks me off because they could do that so easily, and still have a huge following who buy it anyway even if it was medocre game.
  • JayJay Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    That'd be a really troll move by Activision. Ain't they making enough money already?
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited July 2010
    As for BF:BC2 I wouldn't say it's CoD's rival, they're really very different. BC2 is much much slower paced, and things like the shooting mechanics make it completely different. Don't get me wrong I love the game but sometimes I just want a bit more CoD style action.

I agree.. if BC2 had the movement and the shooting of CoD it would be a lot better.
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks like their success is going to their heads. The thing is, many people will actually pay to play.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    Korea's gonna have a new national sport.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    Doesn't bother me, Call of Duty is pretty shitty.