Rolled Coins

duuudeduuude Regular
edited March 2011 in Life
I have a shit ton of change I've saved up and I've concluded that instead of taking it all to my local Coinstar and losing 8 cents every dollar, I would rather roll them up and deposit them in the bank.

So I figured to be able to deposit them you would have to put some kind of information on them (name, phone no., address, account no., etc). Does anyone know if this is the case?

Also, I read somewhere that most banks just used the rolled change to give to businesses. If this is true.. wouldn't that mean that the bank never unrolls (or breaks) the rolls open to count them? :D

Comments

• Habaner0Habaner0 Regular
    edited February 2011
    duuude wrote: »
    Also, I read somewhere that most banks just used the rolled change to give to businesses. If this is true.. wouldn't that mean that the bank never unrolls (or breaks) the rolls open to count them? :D

They will count them, every time. Pretty much every bank has their own sort of Coinstar machine that will automatically do it.

Sorry, people thought of that trick decades ago.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited February 2011
    People can be dumb, but not that dumb :o
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited February 2011
    How do you live with yourself?

That was fucking stupid, grow up/
  • uofmcamarouofmcamaro Regular
    edited February 2011
    Worked at a bank for years...started as a teller.

Sometimes we would unroll them and sometimes not. Generally you can tell if you have something in there that you shouldn't. I mean, we would have rolls of coin all the time so we knew what a real roll felt like as opposed to some other crap in there.

I've seen times where there may have been a nickle in with a role of quarters or something, but that was rare and the teller was only out a little so it wasn't a big deal.

You never know too, your bank may have a coin counter and do it for free for you and deposit into your account. My current employer is that way. When you come in we prefer you don't have your coin in rolls so we can just run it through our machine. For every $1k we charge you $1. Not a bad deal.
  • JHGJHG Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    have a local bank and do business with them --- it is nice when people actually know you
  • mynicknamemynickname Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    banks won't accept rolled change anymore... try a local family store and see if they'll take your change...
  • GardnerGardner Semo-Regulars
    edited March 2011
    Hello guys....!
    Really nice information shared....How do I submit rolled coins to a bank...? If anyone knows then please reply me...Thanks in advance....!
  • JimmyJazzJimmyJazz Semo-Regulars
    edited March 2011
    you usually need to have an account there

but I think TD bank lets you cash in coins without having one, they just have you sign something