Salvaged Parts

SemSem Regular
edited February 2011 in Tech & Games
I happen to work at a company that repairs computers so I see my share of dead computers. Occasionally people will end up leaving the computer for us to dispose of which no one ever does. We basically use them for their spare Product keys for Windows activation if the need arises.

I’ve been tempted to scavenge some spare RAM or even CPUs from these things since no-one will miss them. Of course some will not work, but I was wondering that if it was possible to damage my working computers with RAM/CPUs taken from the shorted out computers.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• HellishHellish Regular
    edited February 2011
    I doubt it. If anything, they wont be detected. If you can get some 512mb pairs of 1gb sticks of 333 DDR for shipping cost, Pm me.
  • SemSem Regular
    edited February 2011
    Hellish wrote: »
    I doubt it. If anything, they wont be detected. If you can get some 512mb pairs of 1gb sticks of 333 DDR for shipping cost, Pm me.

For a laptop or desktop?
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited February 2011
    Sorry, Desktop.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, you'll be alright. If the hardware is messed up then I reckon the most that ill happen is you'll fail to POST :D I think you'd have to be pretty unlucky for it to wreck your system.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Man, I wish I could get some parts from you OP. You won't have much problem with them. The fact that I am using a motherboard and processor from container systems shipped to Pakistan should be enough for you. In short, make a new system out of those damaged goods.

I would love some DDR2 love right now. Thanks to DDR3, DDR2 is fucking expensive these days.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited February 2011
    Save the ATX psu's and the monitors. Inside the psus you can get some decent components, and hell if you save enough of them I'll pay you to ship them to me. The monitors have nice flyback transformers in them, and if you open the monitors up you can get those out with a hammer. I'd like those too...