Get rid of the front page

edited February 2011 in Help and Suggestions
Seriously. If we just drop our URL no one will find the forums, and the textfiles are outdated and stupid anyways.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Gimme 5 hours at best and it will be changed to a newer one. I was working with VB4 Layout and I had to delay the front page because of some stupid css and js conflicts. I will fix it today and get the new page up.
  • edited February 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited February 2011
    Boy, I sure hope it doesn't interfere with one of your prayer sessions

Lol
  • edited February 2011
    Boy, I sure hope it doesn't interfere with one of your prayer sessions

That was the funniest thing I've read all day.

Get on it Dfg, I've been waiting for this day for a long long time. If anything, I'm embarrassed to advertise our URL without including the BBS part :facepalm: If the site looks great then I'll sure as hell start - plus search engines will like us more :D
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    http://www.totse.info/index2.html

I know it's NOT the best mainpage but it's still more easy to configure. Thoughts ideas etc
  • edited February 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • edited February 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    http://www.totse.info/index2.html

I know it's NOT the best mainpage but it's still more easy to configure. Thoughts ideas etc

I propose the following things;

No scrollbars - keep a few articles on the "this just in" section but not so many that you have to scroll down to view them. I think the main page should be short and to the point, giving the user the option of clicking on the other links at the side of the page should they wish to read more.

We should keep the about section functional - It's good to have some information about the site/link to totse/FAQ etc, all easily accessible by clicking on a link at the side.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd move the hot topics up to the top right on the other side of the articles, and show more like 10-15 threads instead of the current amount showing.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I propose the following things;

No scrollbars - keep a few articles on the "this just in" section but not so many that you have to scroll down to view them. I think the main page should be short and to the point, giving the user the option of clicking on the other links at the side of the page should they wish to read more.

We should keep the about section functional - It's good to have some information about the site/link to totse/FAQ etc, all easily accessible by clicking on a link at the side.

Done

4 per page set
    I'd move the hot topics up to the top right on the other side of the articles, and show more like 10-15 threads instead of the current amount showing.

Done
  • edited February 2011
    Now I think you should work on displaying what the site actually IS. A first glance at the main page doesn't really tell anything about the site, apart from the fact that we have a few articles up regarding seemingly random topics.

Know what I mean?
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited February 2011
    ^^^^^^^^
    There's no way to do that, the navigation on the side is too long and besides it looks better longer. More like a bulletin board.
    edited February 2011
    what you might like to do though is add a thin closable div just on top of "this just in" with a yellow background that says " We have a Active forum (with link)"
    Something that looks like an infobar

http://www.ryanscherf.net/demos/dtd/
  • edited February 2011
    So that means we won't have an "about" section, or the rest of those links which were on the original Totse?

Also, Dfg - it's all misaligned slightly compared to the BBS. I think the whole thing needs to be moved down a little bit.
    edited February 2011
    It doesn't have to closable either, This is fine:
    <html>
    <body>
    <div style="position: relative; background-color:yellow; height:20px; width: 250px">
    We have an Active <a href="http://www.totse.info/bbs">community</a>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Add Creative Common License, fixed some problem areas. I am using two CSS files to fix the alignment issue. FUCK YOU IE!
  • edited February 2011
    Can you tell me - what are we actually doing regarding the FAQ/about/etc etc pages?

Also, you should add in something about being able to use HTTPS :thumbsup:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Made the requested changes
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Can you tell me - what are we actually doing regarding the FAQ/about/etc etc pages?

Also, you should add in something about being able to use HTTPS :thumbsup:

Once this page is finished, it's just a better of copy paste :)
    I will add HTTPS reminder as well.
    edited February 2011
    It looks finished to my eye. looks pretty good :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Is there a reason you didn't highlight to Community and SSL links yellow?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    It looks finished to my eye. looks pretty good :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Is there a reason you didn't highlight to Community and SSL links yellow?

Yep, it doesn't fit well with the layout. Don't worry if you look closely register and FORUM words are quite visible.

Also, I hate ruining design. I tried my best to match the layout as best as possible. Considering what I have at the moment this layout will do for now. Unless you guys want something fancy.
  • edited February 2011
    Awesome. Liking the look of it so far, although I think you should clean up the odd looking capital letters/non capital letters in the top right. It's good that you're trying to direct people to the forums but it looks a little messy. Also, RSS should be capitalized.

After you've finished designing, you should get it W3C Validated so we can have a nice little validation badge at the bottom too :D
    edited February 2011
    After you've finished designing, you should get it W3C Validated so we can have a nice little validation badge at the bottom too :D
    hehehehe...good luck.
  • edited February 2011
    I also just realized that the SSL button doesn't do shit - sure it redirects to HTTPS, but as soon as you click any links, you're back to HTTP again.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Hmmm, well I will fix the links. I adjusted the width to work with some padding.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Damn it's 4 AM. I am open to suggestions ideas. I will use this same layout for other pages like FAQ etc.
  • edited February 2011
    Can I suggest adding a tiny bit of padding to the containers holding the articles? The "read more" text is a little out of the box.

Also, what would those containers look like with a border on?
    edited February 2011
    Dfg, we should make a new thread and announce the Débutante status of our page.
    edited February 2011
    holy shit!!! The green borders around the articles make the whole thing like 1000x better.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Can I suggest adding a tiny bit of padding to the containers holding the articles? The "read more" text is a little out of the box.

Also, what would those containers look like with a border on?

Added a border and extra padding.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Changed the CMS layout as well. Thanks trx for the border suggestion.