Nighttime coughsyrup dehydrates me...

jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
edited February 2011 in Man Cave
Anyone know why? All that's in it is, DXM, Acetaminophen, and doxylamine succinate.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Anyone know why? All that's in it is, DXM, Acetaminophen, and doxylamine succinate.

Doxylamine succinate is a potent anticholinergic and has a side-effect profile common to such drugs, including dry mouth, ataxia, urinary retention, and drowsiness. Like many antihistamines that cause drowsiness, it should not be combined with other allergy medications such as Zyrtec (Cetirizine) or Diphenhydramine, as this combination can increase the risk of serious side effects. The causes of these side effects are not fully understood.

I had a friend who took a lot of diphhenhydramine (like over 50 mg a day and a "recreational dose" of 300 mg) and suffered extreme dehydration (like his piss was orange-amber) and I think might have suffered from anticholinergic syndrome. Just don't drink it daily or anything and it's good imo; my 2 cents.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited February 2011
    I always make sure to hydrate. Back when I did benadryl for fun a few times, I would make it a point to drink at least a liter of water.