Gummo

GreyusurperGreyusurper Acolyte
edited March 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Another Friday Film Discussion thread... Today's topic, Gummo. Suggested by my friend, I haven't seen it yet. Though from what I've briefly seen and read on it, this film from the director of KIDS looks totally worth watching. I'll do so later tonight, or tomorrow, whenever the hell I've got time... Which I don't right now.

Trailer:

My apologizes for this last part being in a different lang, but it doesn't seem to matter much as dialogue is little and well... You'll see!

This alternate may make up for it, but it's just a shorter abridged version.

I like the aspect of how this film is shot in a documentary style way, and captures all these interesting backwards characters. The ending, special double spoiler alert...
They all fucking die! In a tornado!

Regards,
-Grey

Comments

• MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh god...Gummo. Worst decision of my life.
  • edited March 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited March 2011
    Oh god...Gummo. Worst decision of my life.

This, quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen...
  • GreyusurperGreyusurper Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    I finally gotten around to seeing this (or rather I did Saturday but have only now had time to post about it).

I didn't like it. Haha! But I'm sure it's meant not to be liked. This is a film about characters that live their lives backwards and don't seem to realize/care. They only seem to live-to die. It's a critique on the rural state of life in America. After watching it, my reaction was, "This should have been called 'Idiocrary Now!'". It would have done much better with a title like that. A sort of unofficial prequel to Idiocrary, haha!

Watching it also reminded me of two fictional stories about cats. One was 'The Cats of Uthar', which is set in a medieval fantasy city called Uthar. Cats there are held as sacred animals of the deity (Uthar) that protect them and the city. However, one day all the cats go missing... What has someone or something done to them, and the consequences of that on the city - becomes the big plot of the book.

The second is from HP Lovecraft, who had a city in his well developed dream realm that held cats high in society. In fact, the cats could even speak, and if I recall correctly, random bad stuff would happen to you if you were to harm or disrespect a cat within that town's borders.

So this film reminds me of those stories. The cats are a clear sign of the coming badness they bring on their foolish selves by eliminating the said cat population. It's really a cursed town that just doesn't know it! Haha!

Regards,
    -Grey
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited March 2011
    :facepalm: I couldn't decide if some scenes were actually funny or just plain sad.