Dodgy home mechanic tips,

Dog BoyDog Boy Acolyte
edited June 2011 in Man Cave
Post em here :D

Today I discovered, after much frustration and bruising, that sometimes the easiest way of getting at the top bolts of a bellhousing, is just to cut a fucken hole in the firewall with a holesaw from inside the cab, turns something as frustration as all hell into an easy 5 minute job.

Comments

• angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited July 2010
    If you have an old ford 4.6 engine and cant get the top bolt on the starter out just break the front of the starter off.
    That is if you were going to replace it anyway.
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    Get some carpet for you garage if you spend some time on the floor.

Not really dodgy though :cool:
  • edited August 2010
    A pair of cheap ass gloves will save ALOT of cuts and bruises. Hell, wrap a rag around your hand. Nothing worse than forcing a nut and smacking your hand on some painful components. Also, racing tape. The car mans duct tape.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited August 2010
    1) A metal toolbox can be used as a makeshift jackstand
    2) You CAN lift that engine block by yourself
    3) That brake caliper will stay on just fine if you wrap a metal coat hanger around it and twist it tight enough
    4) A sawzall will cut right through that wiring harness if you cant reach that connector on the side of the transmission
    5) Just because that headgasket is blown doesn't mean you have to replace it, just use some gasket sealer to patch it
    6) You can resolder that MAF sensor connector back on
    7) You don't need to use an expensive drain pan when draining fluids, that oil, brake fluid/coolant/transmission fluid will flow right down the driveway into a convenient storm drain
    8) You don't even have to waste time draining the fluids out when using the previous method, just start wrenching and the fluids will drain themselves out with no waiting
    9) No need to waste time cleaning gas and oil off the undercarriage of your car when installing a new exhaust, the welding slag won't be enough to set you car on fire
    10) If you don't have the proper/limited tools for the job, you can usually find something that will work (see, this two foot pipe wrench works fine for installing this AN tubing)

All of the above is tried and true by a friend of mine, except for the MAF sensor. I did that for him.
  • MaddoMaddo New Arrival
    edited August 2010
    7) You don't need to use an expensive drain pan when draining fluids, that oil, brake fluid/coolant/transmission fluid will flow right down the driveway into a convenient storm drain

Fuck you.

Just cut a goddamned 3L milk bottle in half.
    edited August 2010
    Maddo wrote: »
    Fuck you.

Just cut a goddamned 3L milk bottle in half.

Fuck you too. If you read my post, you would know its a friend of mine and not me, and he doesn't care.

11) You can jump start a car with a lawn tractor.
    edited April 2011
    12) Cracked a socket? just find a hose clamp and BAM!! Just like new!!!!
    13) A wood door fits perfectly in place of a rotted out tailgate
    14) A stack of bricks will hold that frame off the ground to pull the rear end out of it
    edited June 2011
    15) Wearing three pairs of sunglasses is a cheap alternative to an expensive welding mask.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited June 2011
    15) Wearing three pairs of sunglasses is a cheap alternative to an expensive welding mask.

It's called UV light, you don't notice its presence so you won't squint, sunglasses barely filter it and it will cause permanent eye damage.

On topic: Trouble lighting a partly-used welding electrode? A hard tick of the tip on a concrete floor / your welding table breaks the slag / mantle mixture on the tip so you can get an arc.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited June 2011

Or park the vehicle over a conveniently dug hole in the lawn, The ground will soak up any fluids that need disposing of. Besides oil comes from the ground anyway ;)
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2011
    1)
    You don't need to use an expensive drain pan when draining fluids, that oil, brake fluid/coolant/transmission fluid will flow right down the driveway into a convenient storm drain
    "TheGreenDoctor" / "Oil in the storm drain" ...... Oh the irony. :D

Bent engine valve makes a good flywheel lock when taking off the FW bolts.

Piece of welding wire wrapped around a piece of speaker magnet make a good make shift magnet to retrieve your drop nuts. :rolleyes:

Tissue and bog when you don't possess a welder. (quick sale)

Some of the older classic cars have oil metal pressure gauge lines. (non electric) When the oil pressure is down in the engine, crimp the hose to up the oil pressure for an impressive quick sale.
    edited June 2011
    bornkiller wrote: »
    "TheGreenDoctor" / "Oil in the storm drain" ...... Oh the irony. :D

I personally dispose of my oil the proper way. A friend of mine is the one who dumps stuff down the storm drains, does all the dodgy stuff. I was trying to make that post sound a little lulzy, but the content in it is all tried and true.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2011
    I personally dispose of my oil the proper way. A friend of mine is the one who dumps stuff down the storm drains, does all the dodgy stuff. I was trying to make that post sound a little lulzy, but the content in it is all tried and true.

I worked for a company that use to dispose of their shit in a creek behind the site. They used barrels of molasses to sink it to the bottom so they didn't get busted. I was there for about a week before they got sprung doing it.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited June 2011
    need a new seat for a motorcycle? and only have the frame of the seat? take any old grungy clothing ball umm up for a cushion and wrap a t-shirt around it all. mess with materials and amounts of them until you are comfortable with your seat.