Looking for a wireless card

AmieAmie Regular
edited March 2011 in Tech & Games
OK, so, ever since I got this new laptop of mine, my wireless connectivity has been less than excellent and I blame the wireless card. The new one is an Atheros AR9285. It can only operate in the 2.4 GHz band and it seems to be a lot less reliable than the Intel 3945 ABG wireless card on my previous laptop - which could operate both in the 2.4 and the 5.0 GHz bands.

I tried swapping the cards, but the new one is half the size of the old one and there's a connector in the way, so I'm going to buy a new card. From Intel most probably, because they've served me well. Basically, I want the best possibile connectivity and full wireless N and 5.0 GHz support. Should I just pick the latest and greatest Intel has to offer or are there certain things to look for / avoid?

Comments

• BoxBox Regular
    edited March 2011
    Why not go USB?

Netgear's WNDA3100v2 has been great for me.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Amie wrote: »
    OK, so, ever since I got this new laptop of mine, my wireless connectivity has been less than excellent and I blame the wireless card. The new one is an Atheros AR9285. It can only operate in the 2.4 GHz band and it seems to be a lot less reliable than the Intel 3945 ABG wireless card on my previous laptop - which could operate both in the 2.4 and the 5.0 GHz bands.

I tried swapping the cards, but the new one is half the size of the old one and there's a connector in the way, so I'm going to buy a new card. From Intel most probably, because they've served me well. Basically, I want the best possibile connectivity and full wireless N and 5.0 GHz support. Should I just pick the latest and greatest Intel has to offer or are there certain things to look for / avoid?

I am using the Atheros 9285, Don't have a problem with it, never have.

Just info, maybe it isn't your card. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited March 2011
    Box wrote: »
    Why not go USB?

Netgear's WNDA3100v2 has been great for me.
    Because I often use my laptop on the go so I want the best possible connection I can get while still retaining portability and "all-in-one-case".

buddha wrote: »
    I am using the Atheros 9285, Don't have a problem with it, never have.

Just info, maybe it isn't your card. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I'm thinking it's the card because even though I've updated the drivers and my BIOS and I've checked the connections to the antenna, I still can't connect reliably to networks I would have no problem connecting to on my older laptop. When the signal is 4/5 the connection is great, but with a poor signal and several users on the network it's horrible. I used to be the one who was all like "Gee, no connection problems at all" while everybody was bitching about an unreliable connection, with the new laptop I'm all like "Yeah, I can't get a reliable connection either." This happens especially when there's a lot of traffic on the network, so my uneducated guess is that the atheros card is less powerful than the intel card and can't "shout" over the other traffic / interference.

The only other thing I can think of is the antenna being damaged. I guess I could try connecting the card to the other antennas in my laptop and see if it makes a difference.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Amie wrote: »
    Because I often use my laptop on the go so I want the best possible connection I can get while still retaining portability and "all-in-one-case".

I'm thinking it's the card because even though I've updated the drivers and my BIOS and I've checked the connections to the antenna, I still can't connect reliably to networks I would have no problem connecting to on my older laptop. When the signal is 4/5 the connection is great, but with a poor signal and several users on the network it's horrible. I used to be the one who was all like "Gee, no connection problems at all" while everybody was bitching about an unreliable connection, with the new laptop I'm all like "Yeah, I can't get a reliable connection either." This happens especially when there's a lot of traffic on the network, so my uneducated guess is that the atheros card is less powerful than the intel card and can't "shout" over the other traffic / interference.

The only other thing I can think of is the antenna being damaged. I guess I could try connecting the card to the other antennas in my laptop and see if it makes a difference.

I have all kinds of crap (microwave, cordless phones, 2 walls) between me and the router. Still no problem.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd get one of these bad boys:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833314040

I love Belkin's style and the shit stays connected for days/weeks without ever breaking connection, something you'll always deal with on any wireless card/device. You can take it with you anywhere and use it for either PC/Laptop/Netbook/etc. Will save you hassles in the long run.