Critters

GreyusurperGreyusurper Acolyte
edited March 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Tonight's Film movie discussion thread is on the now dated 'Critters' from the 80's. It featured alien, shapeshifting cops in pursuit of another radically different alien, the evil Tribbles with mouths from Star Trek, Critters.

Trailer: :D

^^Note the similar music to Nightmare on Elm Street.

Movie: :eek:

I loved this movie as a kid, but my favorite from the franchise was definitely the second movie. Don't let this thread stop you from commenting on the Leonardo DeCrap'o one either, or the fourth one - In Space either!

I also loved how this appeared in the TMNT's first movie that was very popular. And the second one seemed to wasted the best chance we could have got at a Freddy Krueger vs Critters scene! I'm still pissed that didn't happen! Stupid Earthling...

Regards,
-Grey

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Not to mention the Mick Jagger cameos!
  • MrBennMrBenn Regular
    edited March 2011
    The was a spate of similar movies around the same time period...Critters, Gremlins, Ghoulies. Have to say that I enjoyed them all :)
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited March 2011
    critters was funny, But gremlins Owns!

they dont make good films like these anymore :(
  • MrBennMrBenn Regular
    edited March 2011

they dont make good films like these anymore :(

It'd all be cgi nowadays :(
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited March 2011
    Wow I remember that shit. Its been years since I've even thought of those movies. I was talking about Gremlins the other day though. Critters are cooler than mogwai.
  • GreyusurperGreyusurper Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I was mentally debating the whole 'small' monster phenomenon of the 80's/early 90's, and I'd have to say Gremlins takes the title as best. Even though they had the least number of sequels, they clearly made the largest lasting cultural impact. You can say Critters, Ghoulies, and Gremlins to kids today, and the one they'll likely know the most is the latter of the three. But before I get to far off topic, what was the big fear from small monsters anyways? Maybe it's the piranha effect, a lot of them at once make up for the size difference in fierceness. And as long as I'm mentioning 'Piranha', I may as well say 'Child's Play', just to throw out there.

Regards,
    -Grey
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited March 2011
    Gremlins may have had a bigger impact at the time, I remember wanting to watch it - I will say I enjoyed it at the time, but now it seems like a corny disnet movie.

Critters on the other hand, was something I came across one night on TV - I am sure it was streight to video in the UK and on TV not long after. One of those late Thursday night films you come across as a kid. 1988 or 1989 maybe?

Got me hooked right away - you can relate to the charecters a lot more, although they are all parodies of themselves and the charecters are 'camped up' - although you can see this in the movie making, it still does not stop you quickly getting to know who the charecters are and appreciate their actions.

It is on in the UK on some channel or another maybe every six months. Its a decent movie I do not mind having on. Gremlins I would deliveratly avoid.

Hell, critters has it all - sex, voilence, alien things, sci fi, cow mutilation and cool people.

I remember it getting to a point in the film where I thought it would only get better if they had a shit ton of guns, then was it Earl? who had the guns and the basement?

Yeah, that film was good.