Storm Fucked Up my Desktop

duuudeduuude Regular
edited April 2011 in Tech & Games
Apparently there was a nasty storm in my area last night and I believe it's got my desktop fucked up. The heavy rain from it woke me up in the middle of the night and I decided to unplug all of my shit. Well I was still half asleep and it was really dark so I didn't pay attention to if my desktop was booted or what it was doing, I just unplugged my power-strip so everything would be disconnected. :facepalm:

Now it wont turn on or do anything (maybe the power supply is fucked). Any suggestions to try before I take it to someone??

Comments

• edited April 2011
    EDIT: Nevermind, you said you disconnected it from the wall plug..

Well, when you disconnected it, had it already been sitting there for a couple hours while the storm was taking place? It may have been fried before you unplugged it.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited April 2011
    EDIT: Nevermind, you said you disconnected it from the wall plug..

Well, when you disconnected it, had it already been sitting there for a couple hours while the storm was taking place? It may have been fried before you unplugged it.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure it got hit before I woke up and unplugged everything. I just don't know if it was already "knocked out" or if the power was still on and it was trying to boot when I unplugged.

The storm fucked up my internets too, and now I'm having to use my retarded neighbour's unsecure wifi :mad:
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    When you press the power button do any lights come on, noises, or whatever?
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited April 2011
    When you press the power button do any lights come on, noises, or whatever?

Nope, nothing.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    duuude wrote: »
    Nope, nothing.

Sounds like you need a new psu
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    A) Take our HDD and keep it away from the system. You don't need to test your system with your HDD attached. It's not a good idea.
    B) Get a spare PSU and try testing it.
    C) If you don't have a spare PSU, then unscrew the motherboard and manually inspect for any electrical damage. Try to see if anything is burned.
    D) Disconnect all extra components. You should only be using the motherboard + processor + ram + keyboard + mouse. Avoid using the dedicated card. It's best to minimize damage incase the motherboard decides to go haywire on you.

Personally I would use one stick of RAM To boot the system. Anyway, you can unplug the PSU cable and short the two pins and see if the PSU works.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited April 2011
    Make sure everything is plugged in right at the back of the computer, when you yanked the cable out the power socket you may have loosened a connection.

If that's not it, at best you need a new Powersupply at worst you need a new everything.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the advice guys. I got lucky.. it was just the PSU. When I tried another one it cranked right up. :thumbsup: