So, I just got an iMac G4 for free.

TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
edited June 2011 in Tech & Games
It is an 800 MHZ model. I haven't had a chance to really check it out yet. Anyway, I'm a hardcore old school Macintosh type person. I have a large collection of Apple II and Macintosh computers; which I will post about in due time. Just a minute ago, I booted it up for the second time of owning it. It is a little sluggish, wit I figure running Spring cleaning will take care of that.
It seems to need a new hard drive as it has the high pitched whine of an old, heavily used hard drive.

I'm really excited to check it out, as I am when I check out a new piece of older hardware. I like looking through and checking out every detail, seeing how it was used, and then archiving everything for future reference for historical purposes. The mouse doesn't seem to work unless I have a mousepad under it. It is running Tiger OS 10.4.11, and I will probably not upgrade the system, but I will probably copy the contents of my dead iBook G4 to it, and then even upgrade the hard drive to something like a 500 GB Western Digital from the 60 GB Maxtor that is currently installed. That should be more than enough for what I intend to use it for, which is music and internet browsing.

S.M.A.R.T. indicates the drive's status as failing, and I hear the occasional "click of death" So I know I must back it up ASAP.

I'm going to play with it a bit, then shut it down with the intent of a complete teardown and thorough cleaning, along with imaging and swapping the original Hard drive out, then safely labeling and storing the original drive away with the rest of my original drives.

I hope to integrate this system with my other 2 main machines, an AMD PC I built, and an extensively upgraded Beige Power Mac G3 (G4 1GHZ, with ATA 133 Hard drive controller, along with 768 MB RAM and 80 GB hard drive) that I use as my archive system. I plan on getting many years of enjoyment out of using it.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Cool man. Good to see you here. How did you end up getting it for free? Did it come from your work getting rid of old computers or something?
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited May 2010
    Overclock dat thing!
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited May 2010
    One of my dads friends from high school is a director out in California and he had a bunch of electronics stuff he was getting rid of including the iMac, a B&W Power Mac G3 with 15" lcd display, a T Mobile Sidekick II, some huge Verizon smartphone with a touch screen, an epson photo and CD printer, Olympus 5 megapixel digital camera, Imation superdisk floppy drive, A firewire 400 cdrw drive, a SCSI cdrw drive, and 1 or 2 things I can't think of right now.
    I'm currently backing up the drive right now, and I'm getting a lot of errors.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    I have 2 iMac G3s I got for free sitting in my parents' house. I need to get rid of them at some point. Do people even use computers that old?
    edited July 2010
    Just because something is old, doesn't mean its not still usable. I used a Powerbook Duo 210 and a Macintosh IIsi as my main computers from 2001 to 2006. Before that, it was my good old Apple IIGS (1997 - 2001), and Commodore 64(1990 - 1993), along with a 386 IBM clone running Windows 3.11 (1993 - 1997). I still have everything except the 386.

Are your G3s tray loaders or slot loaders?
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    I think slot loading. They've probably been ruined by sitting in a hot garage, though. Next time I go to my parents' house I'll see if they even work. I should probably just donate them.
    edited June 2011
    I bought a 160 GB hard drive for this. I just need to check into a take-apart manual for it as these are as bad as laptops if not worse to service.