Reformatting my iMac

BoxBox Regular
edited April 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Shit's taking way too fucking long and posting from a phone sucks dick.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Quick Format. Always works.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited April 2011
    Try reinstalling the entire OS. Other than that, get a new MBP.

I'm pretty sure if you reformat the OS goes with it...
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    I got the top-end 2010 fall 27".

And I'm just reinstalling. It's a bit diff. with OS X. You can do a clean install and
    delete the old OS or just install it over keeping your docs. Pretty neat.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited April 2011
    Box wrote: »
    I got the top-end 2010 fall 27".

And I'm just reinstalling. It's a bit diff. with OS X. You can do a clean install and
    delete the old OS or just install it over keeping your docs. Pretty neat.

Um, no. You can do that with windows and linux also.

Also reFORMATTING is clearing everything off the disk.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited April 2011
    Reformat your Mac? I didn't even think that was possible. I thought the only way you could reformat a Mac is buy purchasing a new one :confused:
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited April 2011
  • edited April 2011
    Can you format and install Windows or Linux onto a Mac? Because that would be much better than having to run OSx :thumbsup:
    edited April 2011
    Um, no. You can do that with windows and linux also.

Also reFORMATTING is clearing everything off the disk.

lol yeah this has been the norm since Windows XP 10 years ago, nothing new.

I find most of the hate between Mac and Windows users stems from lack of understanding either OS. Unlike Linux who prides itself on nobody understanding its OS.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    LSA King wrote: »
    lol yeah this has been the norm since Windows XP 10 years ago, nothing new.

I find most of the hate between Mac and Windows users stems from lack of understanding either OS. Unlike Linux who prides itself on nobody understanding its OS.

:O You can reinstall Windows 7 on a machine and keep all docs and programs?
    edited April 2011
    Box wrote: »
    :O You can reinstall Windows 7 on a machine and keep all docs and programs?

Yeah, the problem usually comes when upgrading from something like Vista to Windows 7. Usually the older your OS is and the newer the version you're upgrading to has the chance of running into problems stemming from old files being left behind (not removed properly) or newer files interfering with older versions, which is why most people regardless of OS insist on doing a bare bones install via reformat. I'd prefer that method despite the OS being Linux, Mac, or Windows even though you technically don't have to for either, I just don't trust that shit or programmers who've turned OSes into millions upon millions of lines of code, being able to make things work perfect with no hiccups. Even Linux when you upgrade the kernel older kernels get left behind or are still present and you have to remove them.

The only real problem for Windows (and probably other OSes) is when switching from 32 bit to 64 bit versions of an OS. You are forced to do a clean install switching from 32 to 64. Again others might not force you're hand at that but I actually thing its a good thing for many architecture reasons since both are radically different from the other.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Mind telling me how to reinstall Vista on a Vista-machine that has gone corrupt and keep my docs and programs w/o doing a backup?
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    No. Helladamnleet and LSA King said that this has been possible since XP.

I would like to see it done. There's a difference between 'reinstalling' and 'upgrading.'
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Nick wrote: »
    It's always better to re install than upgrade, but...

If you upgrade to windows 7 from vista then you can upgrade only the following, so just download an appropriate windows7 if you have the pre requisites , meaning the windows vista capable for the upgrade and do it, the programs if compatible will not go away nor your data will vanish, but for just in case, do the linux thing before.
    • Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium
    • Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional
    • Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate
    I don't want to upgrade.

I want to reinstall Vista on a computer that's running Vista and keep all my programs and documents.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Thought so.