Sitemap/CMS tags need revising!

Take a click through the links on the Sitemap. Some of them are pointing to locations where there is apparently no content, despite our users having written something on the subject! For example, click Night Ops... Nothing there. However, I've written a guide on Night Ops which hasn't been included in the results because it doesn't have a "Night Ops" tag!

This is something which urgently needs to get fixed, as a lot of my backlinking work is involving the use of our sitemap!

Comments

• thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Take a click through the links on the Sitemap. Some of them are pointing to locations where there is apparently no content, despite our users having written something on the subject! For example, click Night Ops... Nothing there. However, I've written a guide on Night Ops which hasn't been included in the results because it doesn't have a "Night Ops" tag!

This is something which urgently needs to get fixed, as a lot of my backlinking work is involving the use of our sitemap!

I'll start going through and retagging now.

Another problem that I've noticed is that we remade the tags for drug related articles, but clicking on "Drugs" leads to http://www.totse.info/cms/taxonomy/term/48 which is BLTC. The Drugs category is http://www.totse.info/cms/taxonomy/term/41 .
  • edited April 2011
    We need a strict set of tags to use.
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    We need a strict set of tags to use.

It's my fault for not retagging everything when katz pushed for the new tags. I'm working on it now. I've been meaning to anyway.
  • edited April 2011
    No worries dude. What are the tags we are using from now on? Just everything from the sitemap?
    edited April 2011
    Yes, those are the current tags. The new ones where we expanded on BI and Drugs made the BLTC, Gun & Weapons and BB tags obsolete, but they're still in use.

Edit: Everything BI related has been retagged.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    I was going to revamp the system but after talks with Katz it seems I would need to create pages for each category and link them in the sidebar. I don't think we will be changing tags any time soon.
  • edited May 2011
    Dfg - the Drugs link in the CMS still doesn't work. Can you fix this?
    edited May 2011
    Should be an easy fix. The problem is where the link leads to.
    clicking on "Drugs" leads to http://www.totse.info/cms/taxonomy/term/48 which is BLTC. The Drugs category is http://www.totse.info/cms/taxonomy/term/41 .
  • edited May 2011
    Do we have any other incorrect links which need addressing? I can't find any, but I might have missing something.
    edited May 2011
    No other ones that I've noticed.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Fixed, please next time specify which page I had to edit :). I kind of had to check other pages to find the problem. If I am correct you're talking about main page.

I am open to removal of invalid categories that are just taking space. Also, if required we can just convert to simple lists.

Drugs
    BI
    Technology
    Networking
    Hacking
    Arts
    Science
    Social
    Literature
    History
    Erotica
    etc

*waits*

I can move and retag things if required.
  • edited May 2011
    Personally I think it would be much more beneficial to have a simple list of tags like you just demonstrated, as well as removing the redundant ones. This would hopefully minimize the chances that guides would get lost after being tagged in a strange way, or whatever.
    edited May 2011
    I like the descriptive tags. It helps to keep things from turning into a clusterfuck. Won't be a problem as long as we keep up with the tagging.