Photos on Night Ops

The NegotiatorThe Negotiator Regular
edited May 2011 in Man Cave
Heading out tonight to scope out a 'construction' area that has been in the same state of semi-constructed nothingness for about 2 years. In the next few nights I'm looking to get in, have a look around and take some photos. The only thing I hate about taking photos at night is the flash. It makes it pretty obvious to anyone around the area that might be watching, which is something I don't want. How does everyone else do it?

Comments

• edited May 2011
    I wonder if you could rig up red flash somehow, like red flashlights.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Tripod and long exposure. You can do a manual focus, turn flash off and press the button then "paint" using the torch so you get a semi decent photo.
    More. But instead of pointing the torch at the camera, you point it at the wall and light it up.

If you are taking photos of a street/light area, then put auto-focus on and aim for a bright area to focus on.
  • edited May 2011
    My only advice would be to explore till you have a good idea of the shots you want to take, then bang off the shots quickly, and depart with great haste.

C/O
    "'night ops',? is that what you kids call getting up to no good these days?, well, sonny boy, if I had my way,.....I would be right there with you, just not in fence jumpin' shape these days"
  • edited May 2011
    If you've got the capability of producing long exposure shots with a tripod (don't try and hold the camera, PLEASE) then go for it. Otherwise, stick with a quick snap and dash. If I ever take pictures on ops, I'll work out my exact route beforehand. Then I'll get to my place of interest, take some snaps using the flash and then haul ass before anyone can have a chance to investigate.

Always have an escape plan in mind though, in case someone decides to walk straight into your primary route.
    edited May 2011
    My only advice would be to explore till you have a good idea of the shots you want to take, then bang off the shots quickly, and depart with great haste.

C/O
    "'night ops',? is that what you kids call getting up to no good these days?, well, sonny boy, if I had my way,.....I would be right there with you, just not in fence jumpin' shape these days"

This.

I got these shots of myself in a right hurry. Great night though.

site.png
  • edited May 2011
    ^ Post the story of that night op if you still have it, as well as the other pictures you took. That is, if I'm thinking of the right op... I can't remember, there was a picture of you on a footpath standing under a streetlight, or something.
    edited May 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    ^ Post the story of that night op if you still have it, as well as the other pictures you took. That is, if I'm thinking of the right op... I can't remember, there was a picture of you on a footpath standing under a streetlight, or something.

Will try and find it lol. Old old OLD files there :p