I just bought my first quarter ounce of Silver

Willy WonkaWilly Wonka Acolyte
edited May 2011 in Life
And I feel good. This is just me essentially sticking my toe in the water before I jump in, but I plan to buy an ounce once a month when I start working at my new job. Now, I don't consider the silver an "investment", as it's price isn't really going up, the dollar is just going down. Aside from the occasional bubble here and there, precious metals stay at relatively the same price. Therefore, this is really just a way of preserving value in the fruit of my labors.

The funny thing is it will be 6-8 weeks before the bar arrives, so I'll be curious to see if it's worth more when it arrives than when I paid for it.

This is in accordance with my new plan for economic independence and stability. Simply put, I plan to have one foot in the system, and one foot out. Completely preparing for an apocalypse is well and good, unless the apocalypse never happens. The same could be said for putting all your eggs in the basket of society and it's fiat currency. Thus, by dividing my energy across the two parallels, I will be one step ahead should I need to stick both feet in the water.

But anyway, on to the details!

I will be working a part time, partly commission based, legitimate taxable job. The money earned will be put firstly to bills, rent, and anything that must be paid for with the fiat currency of our beloved system. A portion of that, approximately $50 a month will be dedicated to purchasing that ounce of silver monthly.

Though only 20-25 hours of my week will be dedicated to my part time job, I plan to work a full 40-50 hours a week.

The other half of my time will be used to possibly do odd jobs in return for barter, such as canned foods, clothing, or whatever tangible commodity could be agreed upon, and or, producing some sort of tangible product that I will only exchange for barter, and not currency (I make you a tie dye shirt, you give me 5 cans of chili), and or something else entirely, that I have yet to contrive.

I will also be looking at ways to minimize my dependency on "the system". While it would be quite the investment to completely remove oneself from the power grid, it would be relatively easy to install a wind turbine on your roof that powers a single outlet. A free power source for at least some of your needs.

Probing out a barter network with my community will put me one step ahead should say, one day, we wake up and find that the dollar is worthless. I'll already have business partners and customers lined up for the soon to blossom bartering economy. Plus having a small stash of silver will be like having a few hundred in the bank after your house burnt down.

And if the world as we know it doesn't end? Well, the silver will be a nice way to pay for my kid's college, or if at worst, give it as an heirloom to pass on until the next bubble. And all that barter networking? well now I know a guy who will give me an eight of pot for mowing his lawn, a guy who's wife makes knitted blankets in exchange for babysitting, and who to talk to when I need ammunition.

There's no loss of value really... it's just until these things catch on, the areas you can do business are limited. And up until then I'll be leading a relatively "normal" life.

Comments

• buddhabuddha Regular
    edited May 2011
    Just FYI a quarter ounce of silver is about the size of 1 US quarter. If it is in a bar shape that would be little weird. Keep an eye on e-bay for old silver coins. You usually can get good deals from people who are only selling one or two several dollars under spot price.

And congratz, I love silver. and it feels good having it.

I've got a barber dime, and a mercury dime I'd sell you. Someone polished them so the collector value is nil, but silver value is still the same.
  • Willy WonkaWilly Wonka Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    Yes, I do realize I am buying a very small amount of silver. a full ounce bar is smaller than a credit card, so this will be quite small. And yes, it is a "bar", if one could still call it that at such a size...

I wish I had started investing in silver a few years ago when I first considered the notion... I'd be sitting pretty well with even a small amount right now. But I suppose late is better than never.

We'll talk about those dimes later. I'm still waiting to hear when my start date will be.
  • Habaner0Habaner0 Regular
    edited May 2011
    lawl, I thought I was getting ripped off when I "dipped my toe in the water" and bought my first 10 ounces @ around 12$/oz...

Sold that this past week, got a nice 420$ check sitting on my desk that I'm going to cash today...shall be financing an investment in a firearm.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
  • Habaner0Habaner0 Regular
    edited May 2011
    Please make a thread about it, I would like to know about this firearm.

lol wut
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited May 2011
    Habaner0 wrote: »
    lol wut

hes calling you out nigga.

He thinks you bullshitting us and you dont have a

$420 check. he think your full of bullshit, you wont buy a gun

and your just talking...

amirite?
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited May 2011
    As far as what I've seen in the past months, silver fluctuates too much for me to buy into it. Don't get me wrong. It's been sitting high in relation to the past few years, but what precious metal hasn't?

My problem is gold has similar dollar fluctuations, but in relation, it's a much smaller percentage. Yes, it takes more money/time to get an ounce of gold. However, if you play your cards right it'll end up being far more profitable, imho.