Help Playing Movies on PS3

StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
edited June 2011 in Tech & Games
I am having trouble playing movies on the PS3 because of something called Cinevia which protects the file. These movies are being torrented though I'm not sure from what site because I'm not the one torrenting them. If any of you have any knowledge about how I might would be able to get around this so I can watch those movies on the PS3 I would be very grateful. As it stands these files are on a computer which is connected to the PS3. The videos will play normally on the computer because of VLC media player but I'd really like to use the PS3 because it would make it much easier for me to watch them on the television instead of a cramped computer screen. Thanks for helping if you can.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158357

Basically you Transcode (Encode files on the fly) and stream them to your PS3 from your computer or you encode them and play them from USB. Whatever works for you.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited June 2011
    I'll check that out and let you know what happens. Thanks.
  • edited June 2011
    Rough go dude, the 'watermark' is in the audio content, and removing it would mean digitally reprocessing the entire file, if you could find a program that knew what to look for, that is. The reason it affects your ps3 and not your pootr is that if sony wants to display the "dvd" and "blu ray" logos, they have to detect and deny watermarked files. Nasty.

I have no idea if ps3's can be 'chipped' to prevent this, but I would say, likely not, as the detection is in the ps3 OS firmware. This site;
    http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=7102
    has a lot of info, but pulling off any of the shit they talk about is beyond me.

Best guess; look for dvd rips while torrenting, there seem to be a lot fewer dvd's affected than blu-rays.

Does your computer have an hdmi jack? My buddy plays torrented stuff through his (older, lcd projection) tv all the time, the device is made by Rocketfish.

If Microdick ever pulls the same shit with a Windows update, there will be looting, riots, and anyone with a little penguin on their T shirt will either be bought drinks or killed for being a smug prick. Does VLC make a linux version?

C/O
    "the screen IS big honey, you just have to get close to it"
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited June 2011
    It's not actually my comp or my Tele. They belong to my father in-law. He wants to usethe tele to watch the movies because he and his wife and kids watch movies while eating dinner. If it is a waterway in the audio then he's just fucked.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    It's not actually my comp or my Tele. They belong to my father in-law. He wants to usethe tele to watch the movies because he and his wife and kids watch movies while eating dinner. If it is a waterway in the audio then he's just fucked.

AnyDVD + Rip = New DVD without protection
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited June 2011
    is your ps3 hooked up to the internet? just use the browser on the ps3 to stream movies, thats what i do.

moviewatch.in