What does "earthy" means?

pedicatiopedicatio Acolyte
edited July 2011 in Life
Is "earthy" nutty?

the dictionary defines it as tasting like dirt. If so, why is this even desirable?

Comments

• edited June 2011
    I always had the impression that earthy tastes are rich and like... Earthy. I'm not actually sure.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited June 2011
    It depends on context. Have you read any stuff by Bukowski? His works are described as earthy.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited June 2011
    It depends on context. Have you read any stuff by Bukowski? His works are described as earthy.

This being OI I'm sure the context is about food, most likely wine.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    pedicatio wrote: »
    Is "earthy" nutty?

the dictionary defines it as tasting like dirt. If so, why is this even desirable?

I don't think it describes a "dirt" taste as such, To me its hard to explain.
  • HOLLISTER GUYHOLLISTER GUY Regular
    edited June 2011
    mushrooms, flowers, bark, roots
  • edited June 2011
    Earthy, sometimes it means a little like a handful of nice rich garden soil smells, as in the taste of Ginseng, or sorrel, usually it refers to a complicated vegetable flavor that has no distinct sweet/salty/sour/bitter highlights, like a morel mushroom sauce. Sometimes it also refers to the general character of a dish, something simple, healthy, and full of vegetable flavors and fiber, like a lentil mushroom casserole.

Nutty usually refers to a vague nut like quality, like the smell of toasting almonds, backed up with a smack of bitterness, sometimes a lot of bitterness. I avoid things described as 'nutty', especially if they are proffered by vegans.

Both sometimes mean;'this tastes like ass, but I'm trying to be civilized'

C/O
    "disambiguation 'r' us"
  • pedicatiopedicatio Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    Got a question for culinary overlord: What do you think "woody" means?
  • HOLLISTER GUYHOLLISTER GUY Regular
    edited July 2011

chew on a piece of bark or root. It is woody texturally and flavor-wise
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited July 2011
    i thought it was umame or however you spell. It's not, but it's related. if anyone can clarify I'd like it too. When i Think Earthy I think: smoked meats, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, turmeric, cloves, star anise. I think what they all have in common is they need a sweet meet with a compadre? Like, you can meet any ingrediant in that list with fruit, honey, da da lda . i shuld stop talking im drunk. But i love teh foods.

I wish yall could all have had that Jerk chx i made last yr in competition. whooo. thats earthy.
  • edited July 2011

In relation to wine, woody usually means the level of "oak" flavor inherited by the wine during aging. It could also apply to a fibrous and chewy texture, usually undesirable, like shitake mushroom stems, or the center part of a leek that is past it's prime.

Culinary terms have a lot of ambiguity, they often just mean what the most obvious meaning is in the context they are used. I have some nice atulfo mangos in the fridge that I would describe as "pine perfumed" (they have a strong and pleasant pine odor), and "buttery" (the flesh is soft but firm and even)

C/O
    "it means wood like, silly"
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited July 2011
    Smoke one of these and add a filter made of moss.
  • pedicatiopedicatio Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    I don't smoke.