Pain Ray

BaconPieBaconPie Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
The pain ray is a new type of weapon that inflicts a burning sensation 0.4mm into your skin. It is now being deployed in Afghanistan.

Wired
"It's an intolerable heating sensation," she says. "Like opening up an oven door."

BBC
The discomfort causes whoever it's pointed at to immediately start moving away. They often scream but the US military says the chance of injury from the system is 0.1%.

We live in the future. We have ray guns. :cool:

Comments

• AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    Heard of this before.

Its not going to stop your average sniper and will overall be ineffective. Its not future technology either, its been in existence since the 1950's/1960's.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
    I want one.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    It would be great for crowd control though. If they could make a really big one, they could disperse crowds without tear gas.
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited July 2010
    I've never heard of this before actually. If the intended targets knew that it was harmless then how could it possibly be effective? I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to stay in there, knowing it won't cause long-term harm; especially if you were motivated to bare with the pain.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited July 2010
    If the intended targets knew that it was harmless then how could it possibly be effective?.

Apparently the pain is like pouring boiling kettle water over yourself. When you jump out of the way of something, it's not because you know it's going to have long lasting damage, it's because it fucking hurts.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    The pain is supposed to be intense. Too intense to bear with it. If they could design some kind of suit to counter it, then maybe it wouldn't be effective anymore.