new idea. ghost tablets.

EchidnaEchidna Regular
edited June 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Alright, with all this niggerdom about computing in the cloud and oblige being the future of gaming, i thought, why not with tablets? The way tablet tech had been progressing, its impossible to future proof like with pc. In 2007 my 333mhz Samsung phone was top notch, now 2010 ran wild with 1ghz phones and tablets. Low power mobile dual core processors and multicore gpus on a single chip debuted this year, and by the end of the summer we will have the new Tegra3 kal el quad core. Screen resolution and quality are increasing dramatically as well. Shit is moving too fast to have top level gear.

Now, the problem with tablets is there is no swapping out parts save for batteries which are generally not removable. So we have a pile of parts that are put together that are worthless in two years time. This has been known as the new standard length of ownership. I know most people here, save for gamers, have pcs still running Windows xp with p3, p4, or early dual core processors (and amd equivalents). I can watch 720p visa and play most games up to 2006 on a low end pc off the factory floor from 2004. And i can swap Shit out to make it better.

Okay okay, im going to make a point. Why put money into carrying around a tablet at home if you can just compute in the cloud? All you need to package is a monitor, battery, digitizer for the capacitive touchscreen, and maybe a sound card on chip so you can have a headphone jack. Paired with a wireless card (I'm sure even old tech 802.11b could hamdle this) you simply stream you home computer onto your wireless tablet monitor. I could build a core I7 computer with nice specs. (6gb ram, 500gb hd, decent graphics card) for the price of an ipad2. And i could actually get real computing done.

Maybe that is the future anyway. You could run meego, a custom GUI ontop of Windows 7, the new Chrome OS, or wait for Windows 8 which is touchscreen centric.

Anyway, im rambling. I thought it sounded cool to carry around just a monitor and get to be able to play knights of the republic mmo instead of angry birds.

Also, fuck angry birds. this entire mobile revolution is going to kill real gaming. I want real games back. And fuck Nintendo too. I want a really good zelda with hd graphics and realistic shit. And i hate Wii's controls and twilight princess can goto hell.
And the 3ds is a piece of shit too. I hope it dies. Literally the best game they have out is ocaraina of time. You know how many times that shit as been rehashed? I've played it on n64, gamecube with the master quest (from wind waker preorder), on Wii, on an emulator on my old ass computer, on an emulator on my HTC inspire, and now on this turd fucker. I know i just ranted about specs and shit but have you seen them? Cameras with <1megapixel resolution, screen with 400x240, Shit battry, covered in plastic, processor from 2008 or older. I fucking hate nintendo now.

I remember getting the gamecube in like 2003 and metroid prime, star fox adventures, and super smash bros were all top looking and playing games. Now theres 14 virtualbpet games and a hundred generic sports games. Seriously, the mii avatars look like n64 models.

Fuck. I just want raw computing power at my hands.

Comments

• EchidnaEchidna Regular
    edited June 2011
    All typed from my HTC inspire BTW
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited June 2011
    The technology already exists. Basicially your tablet is a screen that inputs and outputs data but a server does all the processing. They're called thin clients and were the way thing were done when computers were supercomputers. It works simular to "remote desktop" under windows.

Game companies are going to do exactly what you discribed so their customers don't have to buy a new PC every year to get the best graphics. A company called OnLive has the technology to process and render a HD game and stream it to your PC. The only thing you need is a good internet connection.
  • EchidnaEchidna Regular
    edited June 2011
    The technology already exists. Basicially your tablet is a screen that inputs and outputs data but a server does all the processing. They're called thin clients and were the way thing were done when computers were supercomputers. It works simular to "remote desktop" under windows.

Game companies are going to do exactly what you discribed so their customers don't have to buy a new PC every year to get the best graphics. A company called OnLive has the technology to process and render a HD game and stream it to your PC. The only thing you need is a good internet connection.

I thought I mentioned onlive but auto correct turned it into oblige in my first post. I'm going to look further into thin clients.
  • EchidnaEchidna Regular
    edited June 2011
    Fuck, I'm pretty behind on this entire idea. Every instance of this used has not been meant for the average consumer though. And all the products look like Shit.

Fuck it I'm just going to build it myself.
  • EchidnaEchidna Regular
    edited June 2011
    medium_c1dd6067041e1c4fb5be48f7f581c8c5.jpg

FUCK IT WE'LL DO IT LIVE
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    Actually thin clients :)

I prefer a Laptop over Tablets but they're cool to look at and use. I am sure the charm goes away when you start doing actual work.

If I was building stuff, I would have an internal cloud, like the tablet would connect to my local server and I can pretty much do whatever I want.
  • EchidnaEchidna Regular
    edited June 2011
    I know dude I do like laptops better I'm just so used to my phone that a tablet just works. Plus i builr a sweet ass wall mount dock and watch movies on it. My friend "acquired" a dell inspiron 1501 with 1gb ram, 80gb hd, amd64 chip (old school) bogged down with like 8 user profiles and totally ducked up. He handed it off to me to fix. Reformatted it and installed win xp black and installed some sweet hardware. Ran pretty fucking decent for an old machine.

Since it only took me 4 hours I got to play on it for two days. Made a drivers cd and xp recovery cd as well. I was in love with it.

The whole thing is though, my idea of the thin client would be all computing done over the air on my heavy specced desktop. I want to play crysis on a thin ass tablet/laptop. I could use a wifi mouse or atleast run a gamepad using the same wireless protocol. Plus torrenting just doesnt cut it. Also I've reached my limiys on the android OS, I need something more robust like win xp or win 7.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    Echidna wrote: »
    I know dude I do like laptops better I'm just so used to my phone that a tablet just works. Plus i builr a sweet ass wall mount dock and watch movies on it. My friend "acquired" a dell inspiron 1501 with 1gb ram, 80gb hd, amd64 chip (old school) bogged down with like 8 user profiles and totally ducked up. He handed it off to me to fix. Reformatted it and installed win xp black and installed some sweet hardware. Ran pretty fucking decent for an old machine.

Since it only took me 4 hours I got to play on it for two days. Made a drivers cd and xp recovery cd as well. I was in love with it.

The whole thing is though, my idea of the thin client would be all computing done over the air on my heavy specced desktop. I want to play crysis on a thin ass tablet/laptop. I could use a wifi mouse or atleast run a gamepad using the same wireless protocol. Plus torrenting just doesnt cut it. Also I've reached my limiys on the android OS, I need something more robust like win xp or win 7.

Well, I am not that well off (although I got Triple View :D) P3 and even P4's suck when it comes to video content. My thin client would be powered by Tegra or Intel GPU or something in between. It pays to have enough juice to handle the oncoming data.

Plus, you will require Wireless N if you really want to work off the air. Plus, the host machine would be limited because you don't really have enough usage for it.

I would use a media server that streams content for my thin client or have Office documents edited on the fly or make presentation or have video conferencing etc.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited June 2011
    I didn't bother to read this entire thread becuase my ADD is really acting up right now...

Here's my $0.02...

I've owned a few tablets (iPad, Viewsonic GTablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Moto Xoom, etc), and ended up settling on the Nook Color (rooted with CM7). The only real purpose a tablet serves FOR ME is for quick and dirty browsing and reading PDF files. Carrying around a 10" tab is just way too cumbersome, especially if you put a protective case on it (like something from Otterbox). The screen on the Nook Color is REALLY good, and it's only $250. You can overclock it and it runs Flash decently, but browsing on any tablet pretty much blows...

Both Android and iOS are incredibly easy to hack, so tablets pretty much offer (close to) zero security. All of my real computing is done on my encrypted laptop. When I'm out and about, I use my phone for Internet. The only time I use my Nook (or any tablet for that matter) is when I'm on the shitter and when I'm reading in bed. Other than that, I think tablets are kind of pointless. I'll say it again, the Nook has the best screen of any sub-10" tablet IMO.

I had a Tegra2 tablet (Viewsonic GTablet) in October of 2010, and it still choked on heavy Flash apps and HQ YouTube (direct from Website). Maybe the quad cores will start to even things out. Plus, many Flash apps suck and/or just don't work without a mouse.

I used to be a major gamer, but not so much now. I've tried a few tablet-based games, and playing them with only a touchscreen or accelerometer is pretty faggy.

I also use LogMeIn on my Nook and it is pretty decent, but I could easily dump the tablet and be more than fine with my phone and laptop.
  • edited June 2011
    All typed from my HTC inspire BTW

I post on my HTC Incredible sometimes.

Shit's no joke man, them niggas at HTC come correct.
    medium_c1dd6067041e1c4fb5be48f7f581c8c5.jpg

FUCK IT WE'LL DO IT LIVE

The video is so goddamn funny.

Bill-O gets mad because he wasn't familiar with the phrase "To play us out", and then he fuckin' loses it because there's a problem with the teleprompter. LOL