Nebulae

Habaner0Habaner0 Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
zZG6A.jpg

IMO turned out really good for only 11 second exposure...this nebula really oughta have 3 minutes.

For the larger image though I think this will be good enough.

I also realize it looks a little soft, but when it gets reduced in size (which it eventually will) it will look crisp.

Two panels down...18 to go

Comments

• HTS-NoobHTS-Noob Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm really interested in that kinda shit, but I'll have to settle for making my nebulae and such in photoshop I think. A lot less expensive and probably easier.

Looks cool as always. Can't wait 'til it's all crisp 'n' shit.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited July 2010
    Awesome work, OP.
  • Habaner0Habaner0 Regular
    edited July 2010
    HTS-Noob wrote: »
    I'm really interested in that kinda shit, but I'll have to settle for making my nebulae and such in photoshop I think. A lot less expensive and probably easier.

Looks cool as always. Can't wait 'til it's all crisp 'n' shit.

Honestly, it looks crisper before it gets uploaded. I guess imgur rapes it or something.

Even so...yeah it's gonna look good because when it prints I am going to print it on 20x30 poster...when in actuality the full size is probably going to be more like twice that.

Woot. lotsa work ahead
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited July 2010
    I know this has probably been asked, but what kind of equipment do you need to do this?
    edited July 2010
    I know this has probably been asked, but what kind of equipment do you need to do this?

lol, just so happens that I've posted a thread that caters to your exact question. (if you have any remaining questions after reading that you can ask me here). I'm going to be making more, btw...they're just really time consuming to write. I'm about a third through part II atm.

http://totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=956
  • Dr. AwkwardDr. Awkward Regular
    edited July 2010
    That's really cool! Why were you limited to 11 seconds though?
    edited July 2010
    That's really cool! Why were you limited to 11 seconds though?

Crummy mount. Stars started trailing even at 11 seconds.

For what I normally do - planetary imaging, a good mount isn't essential. Shooting nebulae and stuff is outside of my norm, so yeah. I'll probably revisit this target anyway, later, if I have time, to try and get some longer exposure on it.
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited July 2010
    where is that nebula?
    edited July 2010
    where is that nebula?

baw. if I tell you you'll figure out what it is and then you'll see all the images that are 100 times better D:
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    Awesome. Do you do this professionally or as a hobby?
    edited July 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Awesome. Do you do this professionally or as a hobby?

hobby. I wanted to do it professionally, but it's very math heavy and I'm not very good at math.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    Habaner0 wrote: »
    hobby. I wanted to do it professionally, but it's very math heavy and I'm not very good at math.

Yeah tell me about it. I was thinking about doing an astronomy major but as soon as I took a look at the coursework, I went ahead and picked something else :p
    edited July 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Yeah tell me about it. I was thinking about doing an astronomy major but as soon as I took a look at the coursework, I went ahead and picked something else :p

I took it for a year thinking I could manage, and paid dearly for it.
    edited July 2010
    i wanna be an astronomer/astrophysicist but i dropped out of highschool when i was 16. i wanna be a lot of things that i can't be anymore. :mad:
  • edited July 2010
    i wanna be an astronomer/astrophysicist but i dropped out of highschool when i was 16. i wanna be a lot of things that i can't be anymore. :mad:

Why the fuck did you do that?

Way to fuck up your opportunities so early in the game.
    edited July 2010
    Why the fuck did you do that?

Way to fuck up your opportunities so early in the game.

No shit right? No. Fucking. Shit. Hahaha. I ain't got not excuses, boss. I wanna blame the DXM but I just can't. Feels like a cop out.

Oh well, I have my GED. I can like... plumb shitters and make a bunch of cash or something.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010
    No shit right? No. Fucking. Shit. Hahaha. I ain't got not excuses, boss. I wanna blame the DXM but I just can't. Feels like a cop out.

Oh well, I have my GED. I can like... plumb shitters and make a bunch of cash or something.

Or you could get certified as a professional welder and make $17 an hour.
    edited July 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Or you could get certified as a professional welder and make $17 an hour.

This is honestly probably what I'll end up doing. *sigh*

"That guy who makes metal shit stick together" wasn't what I had in mind growing up. I get the feeling my peers are going to be the retarded fucking meatheads I used to despise.

Not saying all welders are dumb, I just know quite a few of the annoying fucked up ADD/ODD kids wanted to be welders. The type of kids who couldn't pass SPED. I really don't want to be stuck in the same career as them, let alone possibly the same room. Not again. T__T

Man it feels good being smugly superior about yourself despite having nothing to back it up with.

PS: HABANERO, WHERE ARE THE OTHER 18 PANELS? ALSO WHAT ARE PANELS? :mad:
    edited July 2010
    the other 18 panels haven't been photographed yet. A panel is a picture so many pixels in diameter. To cover the amount of sky I intend to I estimate would take 20 panels of an area similar to this (slightly bigger) - I've already shot 2 - thus 18.

I assemble them in a mosaic, and bam - massive wide field shot of the Sagittarius Milky Way.
    edited July 2010
    bump.

i have to wait for the moon to cycle to about last quarter, but when that happens I'm going to try to add more exposure time to this...

I also really really REALLY need to get its companion nebula...it's eluded me my entire astronomical career and I can't fucking figure out why...it should be easy! My guess is that since they both sit in the middle of my worst lightdome, the one I photographed is muted and its companion is just invisible.

Sigh...
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited July 2010
    Nice pic man. Space is unbelievably fascianting; I might have to start looking up there in more depth sometime.

I just hope it wouldn't drive me to suicide. It makes me feel so worthless when looking up there.
  • NumberjumboNumberjumbo Regular
    edited July 2010
    Habanero, don't try to fool us with your google images. We all know you aren't smart enough to comprehend what you're posting.