Who Uses Backtrack Linux?

edited July 2011 in Tech & Games
Just curious as to who uses Backtrack Linux here, and what you use it for? I've got Backtrack installed on my Toshiba laptop and it runs brilliantly. I take it with me when I go out and about, especially when I'm at a friend's house because not only do I use it as a pen-testing OS, I also like using it as a regular OS to use the internet with and whatnot. I enjoy learning about the in's and out's of the OS, getting my way around the tools which it has to offer. Just remembered to update and upgrade the stuff on here which is taking a while as I haven't done it in such a long time. Anyway, I'm rambling now.

Who uses Backtrack, and why? Also, if you're interested in starting with it then post in this thread and I'll help you out. If you have any questions then I'll do my best to answer them, although I'm not exactly a Backtrack guru.

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    I used to use it at Uni but they now have an OS detection system, so that's redundant unless someone knows how to change the OS fingerprint of BT4?
    Anyway, I mostly use it to crack networks and piggyback. Never bothered using Metasploit that much but still learning.
  • edited July 2011
    I just made a new thread for your fingerprint problem ;) Anyway, Metasploit is a really great tool to use when pen-testing. It's got a shit load of stuff built into it - my favorite tool being Meterpreter. I might write a guide on the basics of using Metasploit actually, so thanks for the inspiration! :)
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    BT3 was the last version I used. I eventually built my own custom lightweight Linux distro (Debian-based) on bootable USB. I use it when I'm out and about for pen testing, WEP cracking, TOR, surfing, email, etc.

Booted with X it uses about 125MB ram (Openbox, Tint2, Conky, etc), so it'll run on just about any machine. Oh yea, and it's 100% encrypted with AES-XTS. I keep it on my keychain at all times. I have yet to encounter any OS detection issues, but then again I avoid universities.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2011
    I have it installed on a partition but rarely use it because like A.N.D. ^ said. I had some of the tools on my regular OS already. It is awfully convenient though.
  • edited July 2011
    Nah, I've been using Arch lately because I can't get FreeBSD to run in a VM properly.

All of BackTrack's tools are available for other distros, so the only reason to have it would be ease-of-use, really.

It's extremely handy to be able to download a fully working Linux distro with all your favorite tools in - that's why I use it :D Plus, there are a lot of extra tools on there which encourage you to learn alternative ways of doing things, or to learn something new completely. Good stuff.