Everywhere Sidebar - The Answer to Totse's Theming Problem

edited July 2011 in Help and Suggestions
Earlier on in IRC, I was talking to Dfg regarding the state of the forum and what we can do to make it look better. It's obvious that something needs to be done with the massive space on the left of the forum, which is where our old sidebar used to be consisting of links to the CMS. These links were very useful as they provided an easy way of jumping between the CMS and the forum here, increasing accessibility levels and making this place flow a little better.
Unfortunately, the latest VBulletin upgrade caused us to lose our beloved sidebar, causing a big drop in accessibility to the rest of the website. Fortunately, we've discovered a VBulletin hack called "Everywhere Sidebar".

Y'know that sidebar on the forum index page which contains the box called "Links"? Well, this will be able to be replicated on every page in the forum using this hack. After we've implemented the feature, we can then hopefully mess around with the CSS styling for the links on the sidebar and make them look a little nicer instead of just being some plain-text ones.

Like the idea? :D I think it's a great one, and I think we should get this installed ASAP so we can start messing with it.

Comments

• StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited July 2011
    Bravo, I miss the sidebars. They helped me go to pages I wanted to without having to navigate around other pages. Good luck with the coding dfg. Hopefully you can make it look good.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2011
    I tried replicating it but had issues due to access into VB4s html....css fine, html no. :( Nice find. :)
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited July 2011
    That's a lot of code.

Edit to add: Its a good idea though.
  • edited July 2011
    skunk wrote: »
    That's a lot of code.

Edit to add: Its a good idea though.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad as long as it's not slow or anything, and I'm sure we can manage a bit of code to get it to work. Hopefully this gets worked on, Dfg mentioned talking to Hellish about it but I dunno if he got anywhere with it. Would be cool though.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    Waiting for the PM, hey skunk kindly mail me the things.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    installed it, it breaks the forum CSS and layout. Even on the default thing, reading a workout.
  • edited July 2011
    ^ Damn, that sucks. I read a few reports of people having problems with things breaking but I'm sure there's a workaround... Have a look on the forum I linked to, it's got a lot of replies to it and a few people are having troubles.