Official Work secrets thread

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited September 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Before I talk about work secrets, 2 things:
  • No other forum seemed to occupy this. It's just a spurious thread of generalities related to work.
  • If you don't wish to expose your true identity, then don't post. Ideally this is for past jobs.

Almost every job I've worked in I have been stuck in a kitchen, but in different settings be it a Pizza shop, a Pub, a Barracks and some other jobs.

Kitchen work.
  • Not every Chef or Kitchen Porter abides by the "use by" dates. Seriously. We all follow the "First in last out" mantra, but not the dates unless it's crucial. Chances are the food will be thrown out and replaced - costing more.
  • You are more likely to get free food if you get chatting to a younger member of staff or hang around the back entrance of said restaurant.
  • Being specific when ordering food doesn't hurt. Just be nice about it as people who make your food are the people you least want to fuck with.
  • Complaints are feared...unless you complain about more than one person.
  • We hate vegetarians.
  • Most Chefs/Kitchen Porters are pretty cynical about their jobs. Long hours, mediocre pay (for most of the time) and thankless. Be nice to them.
  • Working in a pub, you really meet some creepy fuckers, and everyone who comes in more than twice has their own kitchen-assigned nickname.
  • You don't need breakfast, lunch or dinner when working in a kitchen. it's a part of the job. Make the most of it.
  • High value items such as cheese, meats and dessert-related items (if you can keep them cold enough). Failing that, booze. Be careful of stock levels though.

I'll add more when I can think of them. Share yours and take in the wisdom :)

Comments

• BurnBurn Regular
    edited August 2011
    Great idea for a thread.

- When buying a used car from a dealership ask to have ALL stickers (bumper, windscreen, etc) removed. These are often used to cover up dints and cracks.
    - If the cars are dirty, don't buy from there. They'll care just as much about you as a customer as they do the cleanliness of their product.
    - You can generally get a free tank of fuel when buying the car. Just ask.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    I work at X and X in your X.

You seem to target all my threads. Sad, really. You aren't the original MoMT from &T and feel the need to put a 12 year old spin on everything you see.
    In short, fuck off and get back onto topic.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2011
    OK. I sometimes do some freelance computer repair.

1) We replace good working parts with inferior products. your 1gig of Kingston memory becomes 1gig of cheap ching-chong memory.

2) We quote you slightly less than vendor prices but buy the cheaper alternative. That charger that costs $70.00 from HP? We purchased a $10.00 POS from Hong-Kong and sell it to your for $60.00.

3) You have a problem with an IDE cable? We tell you the Hard-drive is broken.

4) Some techies will beforehand tell you a device costs, say $50.00 to repair, then they'll charge you $150.00 because the problem 'turned out bigger than expected'. I don't have the balls to do this.

5) You want us to make your computer faster? We increase your mouse speed.

6) We charge $300.00 for $5.00 html templates.

and you thought car mechanics were bad...:o:D
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited September 2011
    Bartending:

- Never be a dick to a bartender. We can (and will) over-inflate drink prices, put the difference and whatever pittance you give us, straight into our tip jar.
    - Never leave a tip line blank on a CC slip for a tab. Even if you put money on the bar for every drink, unless we see it (which isn't likely, we get busy), we'll add whatever tip we want. Provided your signature is on it, there's not much that can be done.
    - Specific craft beer being sold on the cheap? Probably skunked, and we're still selling it at a profit.
    - Not every bartender will cut you off if you've had too much. For those on mixed drinks, we'll just put less booze in it, but charge you full price.
    - Leave your card for a tab, but don't settle up before close? Prepare to have extra drinks added on to accommodate a higher tip.
    - Want free (insert occasion here) drinks? Come in when it's slow, and don't demand them. Be nice, and ask politely. Don't get pissed if the answer is NO.
  • edited September 2011
    Something I've learned from just reading the replies in this thread is that all businesses, employers and employees are all a bunch of money grabbing assholes who trick people out of their money... and I love it :D

I wish I could think of something to tell :( I worked in a restaurant once and the only thing I noticed was that "polishing" cutlery involved dipping some half-washed messy knives/forks from Argos into some soapy water and wiping them with the same towel I'd used earlier to wipe the table with :facepalm:
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited September 2011
    To be fair, the number of people I overcharged is fairly low in comparison to those I treat well.
    As with many things, it only takes one person being an asshole to rev your cynicism engine.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Ooh, another one when I worked in computer repair.
    • Hand in your Computer and we will snoop through it. Especially if you are female.
    • £35+ for a spyware scan is what you will pay. Considering you can do it yourself with the free tools we use, I wouldn't bother.
    • Prepare to pay triple the price for whatever you buy. I recall seeing the trade cost versus sale cost on the till monitor and I would hate selling marked up shit.
    • Be nice and we may even give you a discount or a disk with helpful software on.
    • You learn how to take a shit and roll fags on the sly when working.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited September 2011
    I'm just gonna copypasta from my thread,

"- Your flight was delayed from 1-7 hours because of a mechanic's incompetence or failure to check off [sign] a check list. Sorry dudes.

- Luggage isn't lost systematically. It's disposed by faggot airline workers. They use the 'ballpoint pen trick' but with metal punches
    Spoiler :

If you don't have shit, your luggage is trashed. It's a random selective process. Nothing to do with the TSA.

- Engine failures occur daily. An airplane can take several flights with 3/4 engines on.

- Another reason for delays are "work strikes." Aircraft mechanics are bound to follow rules 100% in accordance to the maintenance manuals. There are several "bibles" and in order to "fix" something, you should always refer to them. At least that's what the FAA wants. No one gives a shit though. No one is going to look up how much torque is needed for screwing something in. In '08 and '09 when AA cut everyone's salary by $2.50 or something like that, the union forced everyone to follow the manual. What could have taken an engine change 6 hours, took 4 days. You could imagine how pissed off the maintenance managers were. But they couldn't do shit. FAA standards > shitboss."
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited September 2011
    - When the barman goes to the other end of the bar to get you a drink he probably could have where he was standing, it means you are getting half pints that have been stored as they were all fizzed up due to the barrel being changed so they get topped up with fresh beer.

- We fitted your windscreen to your Porche 911 with a trim for a Ford Transit van

Another funny I have seen whilst working as a labourer on building sites is that tradesmen will refuse to do them as they think it too risky. The labourers get the jobs that they are simply not qualified and sometimes not experienced in at all. Also, if you do not build your house yourself, the interior finish will be shit, so long as they can get a nice skim of plaster on it.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited September 2011
    If you live in a hot part of the world and you use air conditioning you may find this useful. You will find some t.v commercials from companies that will add refrigeration to your system if your are low, and do a "system checkup".

They make themselves seem like nice guys when they throw in a free pound of freeon, but here's the catch. The ac system is a closed system. It should never be low, if its low then you have a problem that needs to be fixed. They know if there is a leak eventually the system will slow down and stop working. Then you will you call your buddy who gave you the free refrigerant. Basically all you are doing is paying them money to get their foot in your door so they can work on your system in the future.

As far as the system check up goes its mostly bullshit. Just change your filter every month and maybe gel a coil cleaning inside and out every year if you cant do it yourself
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited September 2011
    This is adouble edged sword and customers should also know what they are talking about to an extent - for instance, if you do not understand the major systems and their workings on your car, do not expect to understand what a mechanic tells you. You would be amazed how many female customers that have come in with a chip on their shoulder thinking I am lower than a loan shark and am going to bullshit them about things to do with their cars.

Also, do not make me put a seat cover on your seat to stop me being dirty rather than as me doing it to show you I care about your car. I have driven cars that have had half gallons of milk spilled in them and left in the sun, on some occasions I have smelled what can only be very dead animals. The worst I have driven was a car belonging to a woman who had recently had major abdominal surgery and had a drain tube inserted where they had stiched her up.

It had leaked all over the drivers seat, the carpet below and into the coin tray in the centre console.

People who provide services are not there so you can fuck them over. One of the bad points of the motor trade I do not miss.