iExpression

Habaner0Habaner0 Regular
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Composure. That is the song I am listening to right now. It is interesting how much my taste in music has changed. When I was a kid I use to listen to the Barney and Disney movie soundtracks. Now I listen to things like August Burns Red and Bullet for my Valentine. I really cannot see myself rocking out to Barney tunes right now but I also cannot see myself at the age of six listening to heavy metal. Nevertheless, music has always been in my life and the music I listened to always reflected myself. For me music was an adventure.
Going from Disney sing-a-longs to Bullet for my Valentine seems like a very rough transition in music but I can tell you now that this is an 18-year process. I never had a source for listening music like an MP3 player or anything like that when I was younger. The only way music came to my attention was through my parents. People like Santana and Michael Jackson were the artists I heard the majority of the time. I use to like Michael Jackson’s music before the Thriller incident. My parents bought Michael’s music videos on cassette and almost immediately after the dreadful transformation in the Thriller video I ran and hid myself in the kitchen next to the dish washer for an hour. Because the video remained so popular, he haunted me up until I turned 13. Santana on the other hand had fewer memories that needed therapy to overcome. I remember one day in after school, they told us to bring our favorite album to class and play for the class. There was a big room full of small children sitting on the floor with their cds and a big man in the front of the room with a blue boom box. A was a girl sitting next to me with a Pokémon album. I was like, “I hope they play that one!” As I looked into the endless sea of kids waving their cd cases in the air trying to get the attention of the big man to put their music on, I was wondering how they were going to play everyone’s music in two hours? Then the big man answered my question. He said, “Whoever goes must sing along to their song.” Then I said, “That’s stupid!” The big man looked at me and asked me if I wanted to go first. I placed the cd in my shirt and explained to him that I forgot to bring my cd. The girl next to me then tried to pull the cd out while yelling, “No he didn’t, it’s under his shirt!” For some reason women just like getting me into trouble.
Hero of War. That is the song I am listening to right now. Now I am thinking of all my friends that took off in to the military. Last Sunday, two of my friends from Tanque Verde High School left for boot camp to join the YOU KNIGHTED STAY TEES MUH REEN CORE. One is engaged to his high school slut (the local bicycle, everyone gets a ride). They sent me a wedding invitation in the mail today. Before the end of this year they will be happily married, but not to each other. I am now going to the wedding of the islamophobe that my friends and I were about to literally kill at the end of freshman year.
It was five-on-one and the whole school was watching Anderson before he was to be beat to death. Since the whole school was gone from the lunch area with no student in sight on campus, the security guard found us and stopped the fight right before it began by TARPing Anderson and putting a spit sock on him. I remember one of my friends putting on a pair of brass Koh-Ran before the guard showed up and scared us all away. In that moment I was thinking to myself, what the hell am I doing, bruh bruh?
Dani California. I am not listening to this song right now but I will never forget this song. It was either 2005 or 2006 when I bought my first MP3 player. The iPod nano, 1st generation, 2GB, in black. It was like magic in the palm of my hand. I felt so excited to go home and plug it into my computer to put music on it. When I started my own playlist filled with the songs of my choice. The iTunes store was filled with an enormous amount of songs. I was overwhelmed by all the different genres and the thousands of albums there were. The first song I bought was Dani California by the Red hot Chili Peppers. I loaded the song onto my iPod from the computer and my family took me to Guero Canelo’s. On the way over there I listened to the song at least 10 times. From then on I always had an iPod close by.
My parents never show much interest in my instrumental talents. Maybe it's because I suck. There was a time where they did though. In elementary school there was some sort of test were the let you listen to a piece of music and you had to answer questions about it. I would probably zone out if they gave me that test right now but back then, I use to take everything seriously. I score high on it and they asked me if I wanted to join a band or an orchestra. My dad talked me into joining the band because he use to play the trumpet in high school for the marching band. In 7th grade I gave it up because practice was at 6:00 in the morning. I still would not wake up at that time today. When I transferred from Tanque Verde High to Salpointe, I choose a guitar course. Sounded easy enough except I didn’t have a guitar. I told my grandparents about my schedule for school and my grandpa showed immediate interest in my guitar class. He said, “How are you going to take a guitar class without a guitar?” I didn’t answer, I just shrugged. He then offered me two of his guitars, but I could only pick one. On the right was an acoustic guitar and the other was a Gibson Les Paul. I played both of them but I already know which one I wanted. I wanted the one that was black with gold knobs and silver strings.
The Final Episode. That is the song I am listening to right now. It is by Asking Alexandria, a band that I am going to see October 10 at the Rialto Theater. A friend from high school is the drummer for a band that is opening for them and he offered me some tickets. I can’t tell you how stoked I am for this concert! Speaking of concerts, I will never forget my first one but I wish I could. After the concert was over my dad said, “You never forget your first concert. Mine was a Styx concert, the Mr. Roboto tour.” He said it with pride and self-satisfaction. I laugh at the sound of it. I pictured a crowd filled with people doing the robot. Then he replied, “It’s not as funny as Gwen Stefani, the Sweet Escape.” I guess I had that coming. My next concert was ZZ Top. That was not what I wanted to see at all. A couple of old geezers that could barely move playing the guitar. A lady in the front threw her massive black bra on to the stage. Dusty Hill, the bass player, picks up the bra and hangs it at the end of his bass guitar. Then I start looking at the audience and see clusters of old smokers and tweakers blowing crystal smoke. I felt out of place in a way I couldn’t imagine. Now I am listening to BYOB by System of a Down right now as my father rapes me and I shout “NO DAD NO,” but he doesn't listen. He never does. I don't want to live anymore. Nuff said.

Comments