Doctors want me to have a medications review

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited November 2011 in Man Cave
So I picked up my Prescriptions as per usual in town today, once a month, nothing out of the ordinary. But this was on the prescription form and nicely but obviously pointed out by the lady whom I befriended that works at the Pharmacy.
Review.jpg

Anyone ever had one of these? At first I was pissed as hell, then called the Docs and made an appointment. I'm seeing the one Doctor I made a formal complaint about on Friday. After this I called my Consultant at the Hospital for some advice as they have more power than a measly Generap Practitioner (GP/Doctor).
After I got back, I googled for just what a Medication Review is, as they can't really stop my pills otherwise I'm effectively bedbound and having withdrawals from some of them. I think it's the fact I get prescribed painkillers and valium, but I'm not that retarded to combine them and top myself. I've been on the painkillers for 5 years (almost) now, and the valium is to help me do my injections and deal with my panic attacks/Bipolar issues until something else is suggested when I next meet the Mental Health team later this month.
Here is the PDF I found, and subsequently filled out on a piece of paper to take along with me on Friday.

Anyone else here had a Medication Review? Any advice? I already have the necessary things to say in my head, the amount of pills I take and the fact I am over my recreational days (but I will only say that if she asks). No point using up all my meds for fun when I genuinely need them.

And yup, a serious non-recreational thread in BLTC. Whoud'a thunk it? ;)

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    That is common in the sates for those who get the meds as a result a workers compensation claim. This is only done for painkillers however. They think if you are going through them at more than the prescribed rate you might be selling them.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited November 2011
    Nothing to worry about at all, in fact, I am surprised you have no been invited for one in the past. As part of GP practice performance related pay (Quality Outcomes Framework [QoF]), anyone on a repeat medication should have a review recorded at least every 15 months. Most of the time, the GP just looks through your meds and recent history and indicates on your record that your medication review has been performed, but if they did this all the time with all patients, they would be investigated, so they will see a % each year.

When you have been in for a consultation in the past, they will have just slipped into the conversation 'everything allright with your medications, are they controlling what they need to do, no interactions, side effects etcetera?' or words to that effect.

Just be positive about it, tell them you are getting good control (if you are).
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited November 2011
    In the UK you would be referred to the pain control clinic. It's usually run by the practice nurse. It's common to do an annual check on repeat prescription meds to make sure everything is ok.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Thanks for the replies, guys. At first I was convinced this was bad, but upon reflection and discussions with other Medical supervisors of mine, I have reconsidered. Just a shame the Doctor I'm seeing is a total cock. She is against pescribing the "morning after pill" because of her Christian convictions :facepalm:

Luckily I'm not going through them at a huge rate, so that's that base covered TDR. I was thinking that is one of the things they may ask me because there are days where I don't take over the amount reccommended (especially with Tramadol - I know a kid at University who was in a car crash 9 months ago, and has 400-550mg a day! Looks a total wreck because of it) so I can't be that bad in comparison.
    I was aware they do these checks, but never actually been subject to one, so I have the answers prepared on a sheet, including trivial non-recreational usage pills like anti-inflammatories. Apparently they also do it if you are taking 4 or more prescribed medications at once, so I can't be alone.

The "pain clinic" is incorporated into my Hospital visits, which are every 3 months or so. My Consultant is cool with the amount of pills I have, and they vary each day. I have a slight physical addiction to Tramadol but have nothing against dropping the dosage to get off them. Some days I have no pills at all which is like a small success.

Anywhoos, will update you with how it all goes.
  • BlackTerritoryBlackTerritory New Arrival
    edited November 2011
    Change doctors?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Consultant phoned me and it doesn't seem too bad. Will update you on the Friday.